Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Mar 17, 2004
Greenwood
www.theflowermarket.com
State / Prov
Indiana
Our shop is being ignored by google. We are one of the oldest shops in our area and when searching google local we do not show up. They are listing grocery stores and even the boiler room operation out of New Jersey. I have sent many emails to Google, but they just keep going back to their "mathematical algorithms". Cannot convince them that their mathematical algorithms is not working. Any suggestions?

We were showing up for short while, after I submitted our local listing, then the listing disappeared.

Hi Ken -

Your site has two issues: Little on-page text to tell Google you're a florist in Greenwood

and

Only one inbound link http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=link%3Awww.greenwoodflowers.com&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0 . Links are the life-blood of the web. They tell Google and other search engines that your site is worth seeing.

It's not enough to simply have a site, you need to customize it, develop it and promote it.

Here are some threads that will help you get started:
Wire Service Website Tips
Need A Link to Your Website?
And Mlou's excellent Search Engine Optimization posts

For starters, you can request Mlou add you to the RF Blog directory today.

For future reference, to check your inbound links go to www.msn.com (or yahoo.com) and type link:www.greenwoodflowers.com in the search field.

There are many other things you can do but IMO these would be good for starters.

HTH

CHR said:

HTH
Ken, this is a free listing associated with FlowerChat membership. Visit the Blog and see what informnation you can list, and send it in a private message to mlou...

Good luck...

I too was not in Google Local for months, while at the same time I have the top spot for my city under various searches, then all of a sudden I was back in local at #3...

Adding links to your site to other florist relevant sites does help alot.

Ken said:
Our shop is being ignored by google...

Ken,

With Google, just go to:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?continue=http://w ww.google.com/local/add/businessCenter

Once you've registered, you can then, go to:

https://www.google.com/local/add/login

There is where you can edit the information they have while creating your own shop's profile. They have a DELAY in activating it since, you must wait for them to mail you a postcard which has your PIN number for that specific shop listing. Then, you have to go back and log in and enter the PIN to activate that shop's listing. And, if you choose to create more cross listings for your shop, you still have to wait for another postcard and PIN as each listing requires a seperate PIN to activate. Time consuming but worth it.

Make sure your shop is listed in superpages.com...Google has a deal with Verzion and uses them to confirm your local listing.

Here is a very good detailed thread by TOTO that will help...
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4435

BOSS said:
Originally Posted by CHR

HTH
Ken, this is a free listing associated with FlowerChat membership. Visit the Blog and see what informnation you can list, and send it in a private message to mlou...

Good luck...

Ken,
Have you noticed the ranking of your blog listing we added three days ago...

Google (I didn't check other search engines)
Indiana florists #1 & #2
Greenwood In florists #28 (we need to work on this one)
Florists Greenwood IN 46142 #7
Flowers Greenwood Chapel #5
Flowers Wilson St Pierre funeral service #1
Flowers Wilson St Pierre funeral home #2

Now you need to add similar information to your website body so it will rank also.

Reactions: 1 person
Information added to webpage

Hello Mary Lou,

I have added the information that you suggested to the home page. I have our domain theflowermarket.com redirected to greenwoodflowers.com, the address I use for the Teleflora site. Do you think this forwarding has any effect on the ranking?

The reason I am not using theflowermarket.com address for the Teleflora address is that I use it for mail and want to develop my own site for the flowermarket.com address.

Ken

Woot! Ken, great job for getting the text on your pages changed so fast.
Kudos to Mlou for providing this valuable advice that has shown nearly immediate results.

Suggest you also request a change from <title>Buy Flowers & Gifts from your local florist in Greenwood, IN</title> to <title>Greenwood Florist The Flower Market: A Local Flower Shop located in Greenwood IN</title> to help make your site title more targeted.

BTW, the tips in this thread work for not only WS templates but most other hosting situations as well.

Ken said:
... added the information that you suggested to the home page. I have our domain theflowermarket.com redirected to greenwoodflowers.com, the address I use for the Teleflora site. Do you think this forwarding has any effect on the ranking?...Ken

The theflowermarket.com redirected to greenwoodflowers.com will effect the
theflowermarket.com url and your ranking. You need to have your links go direct to greenwoodflowers.com. I changed your blog listing link to greenwoodflowers.com You need to promote the greenwoodflowers.com url now, then when your develop the second website you will promote both urls.

Google 1-30-06
greenwoodflowers.com is now ranking with these simple changes...
flower shops Greenwood IN #10
flower shop Greenwood IN #10
florists Greenwood IN #25
florist Greenwood IN #23
Greenwood IN florist #20
Greenwood chapel flowers #3,4 (your blog listing) & 6 (greenwoodflowers)

Teleflora has a programing error in the new information you added, then they did a cut and paste to every page. Notice the funeral home information...do a mouseover...this shouldn't be a link to the Chamber of Commerce. They forgot the close the <a> link after the chamber information, so that makes all that information part of the same tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.