Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Have You Had Problems With Yelp?

Lots of people (including your customers) rely on Yelp for reviews of businesses to determine where they will (or will not) spend their money. I’m one. I’ve referred to Yelp multiple times—especially when I’m away from home—to find quality restaurants, in particular.

For example, several years ago, I was in El Paso, Texas, looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant for a quick lunch. I found one with outstanding reviews. Based on it, my husband and I went there for lunch before hopping on a plane home.

The restaurant wasn’t very good. Mediocre at best. We were very disappointed (though a couple of margaritas helped ease our letdown).

Suffice it to say that I’ve been rather wary of Yelp reviews ever since. And recently I became even more mistrustful after reading a blog in which the author described how Yelp, several years ago, faced a class-action lawsuit against assertions that it had it removed negative reviews in exchange for advertising. The suit was dismissed “with prejudice” in October 2011. (That means the company can’t be sued again with the same charge.) But since then, claims from small-business owners have continued to escalate. These individuals state that the company is filtering reviews and allowing either good or bad ones to dominate depending on whether the businesses purchase ads. You can even find a group on Facebook called “I Hate Yelp” in which business owners describe their problems, as well as comments on Reddit and in other blogs.

It led me to wonder whether any FlowerChatters have run into issues with Yelp.

Have you had issues with reviews of your shop or service being filtered? Did that filtering seem to change after you got a call about advertising?
I’d like to hope that whatever filtering algorithm Yelp is using is truly doing its job in removing fake reviews, whether good or bad. And I hope that overzealous sales reps for the company don’t have access to the system in which they can impact a business’s reputation if it declines to buy an ad.

So what say you, FlowerChatters? What’s been your experience with Yelp, good or bad? Do you even pay attention to it? Share your thoughts here.

And Don’t Forget…

Take our quick, 3-minute intro video tour here. Discover all the great resources FlowerChat offers before you head off to other areas of the Internet. (Plus check out the other great articles in our "Blooming Banter" section.)

Then, sign up for a FREE membership! You'll automatically get a 30-day trial as Pro-level member. No credit card required.

Pro-level members get you access to all areas of the site, including all the forums, the photo gallery, blogs, videos, webinars and downloadable resources.

At the end of 30 days, your membership will automatically convert to our Basic level unless you choose to remain a Pro member.

For the price of two fancy coffee drinks a month, it’s really hard to say no!

We look forward to seeing you in the forums!

I had a great review that was real and unsolicited and it ended up filtered. I have no idea why but I suspect their filtering algorithm is BS. I've heard the same from many other businesses that lose good reviews and can't get rid of bad ones. I also think in general that the people more apt to give reviews are whiners. When ever I read a bad review I end up feeling sorry for the waiter that had that table because most of the complaints seem over the top and fake to me. There are of course plenty of good reviews but how do you know they are not friends and relatives? The whole on line review world is full of problems IMO!

We've had negative experiences with Yelp and find them completely unhelpful. They have squelched several unsolicited positive reviews - to the point there are probably more hidden positive reviews than visible. The worst problem we had was that we took issue with a fraudulent review because nothing in it rang true - the client, the date, the details, etc. - they refused to do anything about it. We also take issue with the fact that it allows people who haven't even used us to post a review. Definitely not Yelp fans.

Reactions: concord
Word on the street locally is a popular local resturant that had far more positive reviews than negative was approached about advertising on Yelp they decline to do so and shortly there after the vast majority of positive reviews disappeared leaving mostly negative ones.

I just checked we have two (2) great reviews from real clients who call regularly that are filtered out. I also did a search for our area (we are on an island, the only florist here) and we are listed at the bottom ! ! !

Yelp is an unethical business. The way they filter reviews and the recourse that is available to businesses for false reviews, if any, is atrocious. There are true accounts of businesses being blackmailed into free food & services by people who threaten to put up bad reviews because of these policies. It doesn't surprise me that they would join in those practices themselves considering their paid advertising program is out right extortion. For $350 a month I can buy an enhanced listing that protects me from my competitors advertising being shown in the free ad space they provided our business and as an added bonus, my business will be inserted into my competitor's free listings unless, of course, they buy the same protection. It's text book racketeering; Yelp is charging businesses to fix problems that Yelp has created.