"Instant" Gratification Service

Simon Says

Apr 1, 2011
Medford
State / Prov
New Jersey
Can anyone think of a (legal) service more instant or immediate than sending a floral design to another person or party?

Even the wire services are a little slower than the direct contact with the florist by the sender, but credit to the wires,where a fresh floral design is required, what other service is quicker?

I cannot think of a single more immediate form of service. 'Phone, cable, Internet repairs may take days and you usually have to be home. Making an appointment for a doctor or dentist or any other form of health service - sometimes even in an emergency- takes longer. A maintenance person -electrician for example, can take days to establish an appointment at you home.

And what about the fee? While we knock the WS and OGs fees (because we fortunately for us know better), is the $15 - $22 fee so bad? An electrician to show up at your house is $50-$100 and if an emergency, even more. A cable or 'phone repair job can cost you. In the USA, a regular doctor's visit usually requires a co-pay, even if you have medical insurance. Apparently, the average time to have a paid lawn company mow the average US lawn is under 15 mins...and that costs around $40 a mow.

A positive aspect of our individual and collective business we should be promoting more. Does anyone know of a quicker (and/or cheaper) "instant" service?

How about a pizza?

Its made fresh to order, with my specific ordering preferences. I can have it delivered, or pick it up. I can have it delivered to myself, a friend or a loved one. I can order it online, or over the phone. I can order one in my hometown or on the other side of the country.

and I've NEVER paid an dOG or WS $22 just to send my order to the local pizza hut.....

If it can be done with a slice of pepperoni, it can be done with a vase of tulips....so YEAH, I REALLY DO THINK THE $15-$22 IS THAT BAD!

Reactions: kt4ye
Actually hadn't thought of the seemingly "obvious" comparison and good comment about the unnecessary element of the service fee with a pizza when the money is spent on yourself -as in the comparison to spending money to have th eplumbing fixed.

Mind you, you don't usually order a pizza to be delivered to someone else's house as a gift / sentimental expression so, for gifting purposes, flowers surely still win out as the most immediate way to express yourself.

Reactions: KABERS
Photos are not exactly a "gift", but I have often thought about how immediatedly we can now process photos and send them off to our friends and family. I have been at family get togethers or events and within hours have my photos downloaded, edited, and emailed to the rest of the family. I have even had prints made at a one hour place within the day and given them to family members. I often marvel about this "instant gratification" I get from technology!

Send money...gratifying yes, quick, no. You've got the mail to contend with and then time for check to clear. Int'l wire transfer, can cost a fortune.

Can you expand on this, please. In a previous life I worked for Yale and Schlage. Don't recall this as an issue, but that was 20+ years ago.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm not completely "up" on the issue but this is what I know.

When our association went to the legislature to see about getting an anti deceptive internet advertising bill, we were told that the Mn retail association had already contacted them in trying to help locksmiths so we just added our industry to the mix which is probably why it pushed through so fast and easy.

Apparently, there are locksmith order gatherers who do exactly the same thing as floral og's ~ advertising as local locksmiths. People call them, then they call an actual local locksmith and send them to the person who is standing by their locked car or whatever. It's another big business with money to be skimmed.

Here is one example. http://www.stpaul-locksmith.com/

and here is another

http://locksmithcharlottenc.org/category/locations/locksmith-charlotte-nc/

If you look on the bottom of the site, they have listings for other major cities throughout the state and country. The NC one, no matter what city you click on to find a locksmith, you get the same number.

Reactions: kt4ye
Regarding the locksmiths -

I just had a need for a locksmith last week. Wanted to have a couple of cabinet locks opened and rekeyed. I was aware of the OG for locksmiths, and I spent over an hour calling the locksmiths listed in my general area. The only one I was able to find that was actually a local locksmith, was the one I already knew of that I didn't want to use (grumpy and expensive). I ended up calling Pop-A-Lock. After he opened it, he referred me to a real locksmith for the rekeying.

Part of their problem is they don't seem to actually advertise/list themselves properly, and it's nearly impossible to find them.

Reactions: anytimeflowers