Link exchange request - dirpedia.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got an email soliciting a link to that pile of junk yesterday. So far, the 'DirPedia" consists of 100% copied text from Wikipedia.org plus the links they're adding to commercial sites. (Wikipedia does not usually openly link to commercial sites.) It's a fast way for that webmaster to have 'instant content'.

What he really wants is an inbound link from your trusted site to build credibility for his own. A link from their site to yours is of no benefit to you becase they have no traffic. From Wikipedia (the real deal) on link exchanging:
Link exchange has been a long time practice by website owners since the beginning of the WWW. In the last few years (after year 2000), this practice has gained more popularity as search engines such as Google started favoring sites that had more links in the rankings. This system was very accurate at gauging the importance of a website when it first started, leading to the popularity of Google .
However according to experts, search engines no longer place a heavy emphasis on reciprocal links. Instead the popularity or credibility of your site is now gauged by one way incoming links to your site.
The trend today is for dubious sites to request reciprocal links and then use code (like java script) or commands to prevent search engine spiders from seeing their link back to you. They get a one way link, but you don't know it unless you're familiar with these tactics.

A friend recently called me about a huge jump in search engine placement by a company that had a large reciprocal link directory. In one foul swoop, they prevented search engine spiders from 'seeing the outbound links' they had promised in return for links into their site. This made Google and other SEs think they had hundreds of inbound one-way links. The site abused the trust of their link partners - but that's what black hat SEO's do.

Moral of the story - only link to sites you trust and that are a benefit to visitors on your site. Your outbound link means you believe sites are worth visiting based on their own merit.

This last week, we've received at least 10 requests from different faux directories, content mills, made-for-AdSense and/or scraper sites. All have useless or duplicate content and hope to create 'trust' with search engines by getting legit sites like us to link to them.

If your flower shop site's home page has a decent page rank, you're bound to be getting these requests.

Don't be surprised if you later look at those sites and see pages of affiliate links to OG's.

Cathy is bang on with her response - I wanted to add a few things as I got one of those emails too.

Bulk, unsolicted emails are illegal and constitute email spam. Anyone doing something illegal does not make a good partner in any way including a link partner. I read somewhere that reciprocal linking should be treated as if it were a business relationship, and I think that is wise advice.

At the very least, an email request for a reciprocal link should be written by a person and not auto-generated from software.

A sure sign that someone has never visited your site is an email starting like this:

I just visited your site at http://www.yoursite.com and I thought...

Well, if you just visited my site, you should know its name and not be referring to it by http://....

Status
Not open for further replies.