Little Packets Of Flower Food Can Cause Big Opinions Among Florists

I will preface this by saying that I do give out packets and I do see the value in doing so. (although I apparently need to give out more with each sale than I have been) But my only concern is the statement by someone that using too little is as bad as not using any. That worries me a bit since like others I have customers who ignore ALL instructions given and most likely do not read the instructions on the packs. I still keep trying to educate and will continue to give the food because I know it's good customer service and what happens after they leave my store is beyond my control.( like the guy who sticks flowers in the trunk on a freezing cold day...I have been known to run out and stop that if I see it happening!)
Helen,
Here is a link that provides some solid test result regarding the proper dosage with flower foo ( and a whole bunch of other good info). The dosage info is on page 11

http://www.floralife.com/cms_assets...ts/Floralife_Care_Handling_pages_2012_web.pdf

Doug

Doug: My guess is that there are few "flat earthers" among FlowerChat's members. :) The conversation where I encountered those naive florists wasn't on FlowerChat--it was among florists in another online group--florists who won't invest the nominal fee to be a member of FlowerChat just like they won't invest the pennies spent by giving out flower-food packets. Your messages are sound and smart to anyone on FlowerChat. If only more folks had the common sense to join this community to learn from your (and other FlowerChatters') wise advice!

Gina,
Beg to differ, but all you have to do is read some of the responses on this thread to see that there are those on Flower Chat that believe that "no flower food" is the best policy. While I understand your need to be politically correct, I have no such constraint. Again, education must start with the florist and it is apparent that there are some on this board that sorely lack basic care and handling knowledge. Now if they disagree with my comments, I have provided them with a way to prove me wrong. All they need to do is provide the data to back up their claims, rather than relying on their preconceived notions.

The bottom line is how can we expect to educate the consumer when there are those within our own industry (and on this board) that can't grasp the basics.

Reactions: theRKF
Helen,
A good post harvest care program is an absolute must in any flower shop, but it starts from the top down. Making sure that all of your employess understand its importance is critical. Good luck

We instituted using floral preservative in all cut flower arrangements sold, in all buckets of bulk fresh flowers in our cooler, and packets are given with all loose flowers sold. I can truthfully say that there is a marked increase in the lasting quality of our flowers. I constantly get feedback that our flowers last 2 or 3 weeks. I encourage feedback from our customers. If there is a problem with flowers we have sold we replace them unconditionally. We don't expect our customers to be happy with something sent if we would not be happy with those same flowers. Its all about customer satisfaction and appreciation. We have been in business since 1951 and after about the first 20 or 25 years we started using preservative and don't look back!

It appears that the flower food "flat earthers" have nothing more to say. My only hope is that after reading the comments on this board and possibly doing a little research on their own they have discovered the error of their ways. The bottom line is that it is in our industries overall best interests to do everything possible to ensure that the consumer gets a superior long lasting product when they purchase flowers. This means that everyone retailing flowers must strive to that end , including the supermarkets and big box stores ( I can hear the groans over that comment all the way up here in Edmonton) . After all for many consumers their only experience in purchasing flowers is picking up a bunch at Costco, and if they fail to perform the consumer is just as likely to blame the product as they are the retailer. As an industry we have lost a lot of ground to other gifting options whose longevity is not dependent on age, supply, or handling between the producer and the consumer. Flowers by their very nature have a number of disadvantages as a gift right from the start ( needless to say they also have some major advantages) so any time we have the ability to lessen or eliminate one of these weaknesses its in our own best interests. May the force be with you

We have had our sachets custom imprinted for about 15 years. This makes them advertising specialities as well as flower food. When purchased in quantity they are actually cheaper than buying by the box. We also use bulb food sachets and give out based on the type of flowers being purchased. I am anal when it comes to care and handling. We use 5 types of solutions based on flower type for processing and have two doseatrons, one for Crystal clear and one for Professional. We also use bulb food, rose food and distilled water for flowers sensitive to fluoride. Not giving flower food and instructions on how to use is not an option in my shop.

Youch! on reading further I discovered this gem
“Trials we have done ourselves at the shop and while I was in college suggest that floral food packets are not the best option, but rather it would be best if consumers simply trim stems and use fresh tap (Yes, TAP) water every other day. The chemicals added to tap water prevent unwanted bacterial growth for the most part, and fresh water does the rest.
“What we have found with most floral foods is that the average consumer doesn't dissolve them fully, nor is the carbohydrate provided in the flower food QUITE the right form of sugar, so it tends to clog the ends of the floral stems more than it helps them.
“Consequently, we have spent 7+ years educating our customers to throw their floral food packets away, trim stems every other day and fill up with tap water. Our customers report longer vase life than they have ever experienced from any other florist, and we save on the added expense of purchasing floral preservatives.”

Now we have florists that have made the leap to researchers and are publishing their findings as fact.

Here's a fact , the "chemical" added to tap tap water to inhibit bacteria growth is Chlorine, one of the concerns with chlorine as a water treatment agent is its volatile nature which causes it to disappear too quickly from the water system. For those of you who own swimming pools or hot tubs you know how fast chlorine dissipates. The bacteria agents in flower food are designed to hang around for the longer term, but even so need to be replaced with the addition of more flower food. Suggesting that the chlorine in tap water is adequate to deter bacteria growth in a vase of flowers is akin to suggesting that simply rinsing your flower shop buckets with tap water is adequate. Based on this train of thought maybe we can all join the family dog and start taking our drinking water straight from the toilet bowl, after all, the "chemicals added to tap water prevent unwanted bacterial growth for the most part".

Secondly, on the issue of flower food. The above comment suggests that there is no need to provide flowers with any form of nourishment after they are cut. Again this statement goes against every bit of scientific research ever performed on the subject. Proper post harvest care starts at the farm level and follows through right to the consumer. Anytime a step is missed throughout the process it results in shorter flower longevity.

Last but not least, the statement that the "carbohydrate provided in the flower food QUITE the right form of sugar, so it tends to clog the ends of the floral stems more than it helps them", shows a clear lack of understanding on the part of the writer as to the workings of a commercial flower food.Typically, the sediment that one sees at the bottom of a vase are flower food agents specifically designed to draw out certain salts, dirt, and debris which then settle rather than being drawn up the flower stem. This is a good thing, not a bad thing and something that should be explained to the consumer as part of the process of educating them regarding proper post harvest care and handling. Product care and handling knowledge is one of the services that a local "mom and pop" flower shop can provide that gives them a leg up over the supermarkets and in the long term will build a level of confidence amongst their customer base that paying the lowest price is not always the best bargain.

On a last note, it is unfortunate that in our struggling industry we have individuals that throw all solid research out the window and for the sake of pennies short changes their customers, these "flat earthers" should stick to selling flowers and leave the research and development of flower care products to those that are qualified to do so. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the next suggestion to avoid the cost of flower food is to use Seven -Up.

Huh. A long time ago one of the experts mentioned in this discussion told me that flower food consisted of essentially the same ingredients as 7-Up, minus the carbonated water: sugar, something to adjust the pH (such as citric acid), and a bacteriacide.

Huh. A long time ago one of the experts mentioned in this discussion told me that flower food consisted of essentially the same ingredients as 7-Up, minus the carbonated water: sugar, something to adjust the pH (such as citric acid), and a bacteriacide.

Tom,
There is no debate from me on the functions of the ingredients of actual flower food, I cant speak for the ingredients in Seven-Up. However Seven-Up is intended as a beverage, not a commercial flower food, the fact that it may contain some of the same ingredients is not a rubber stamp to use it as fresh flower post harvest care product. You can mix flower, yeast, salt, and sugar but unless they are in the right proportions your not going to end up with edible bread.

Commercial flower food and soda pop are not interchangeable, let's face it not many of us would pour ourselves a refreshing glass of Chrysal Professional 2 over ice on a hot day. Nor would any of us in daily life commonly use the standard that if a product is "essentially the same ingredients" it is interchangeable with other products designed for completely different purposes. Take fuels for instance, the real chemical difference between gasoline, kerosene and diesel has to do with their boiling points. They all come from the same raw material, yet they are not interchangeable as a fuel in your standard vehicle.

The real discussion here is why anyone in business would take a chance on providing their customers with anything but the best in the hopes of saving a nickel on a $20.00 - $100.00 sale. Or why they would skimp on flower food because "someone" told them it didn't help. I threw the challenge out earlier in this thread to the flower food "flat-earthers" to provide me with just one accredited scientific study that proves that commercial flower food is not beneficial to the longevity of fresh cut flowers. I am still waiting.

On a last note, its no wonder our industry is suffering when we still have to try to convince some in it to spend a single nickel to ensure their customer gets the best that they can out of the flowers they purchase.

Tom,
There is no debate from me on the functions of the ingredients of actual flower food, I cant speak for the ingredients in Seven-Up. However Seven-Up is intended as a beverage, not a commercial flower food, the fact that it may contain some of the same ingredients is not a rubber stamp to use it as fresh flower post harvest care product. You can mix flower, yeast, salt, and sugar but unless they are in the right proportions your not going to end up with edible bread.

Commercial flower food and soda pop are not interchangeable, let's face it not many of us would pour ourselves a refreshing glass of Chrysal Professional 2 over ice on a hot day. Nor would any of us in daily life commonly use the standard that if a product is "essentially the same ingredients" it is interchangeable with other products designed for completely different purposes. Take fuels for instance, the real chemical difference between gasoline, kerosene and diesel has to do with their boiling points. They all come from the same raw material, yet they are not interchangeable as a fuel in your standard vehicle.

The real discussion here is why anyone in business would take a chance on providing their customers with anything but the best in the hopes of saving a nickel on a $20.00 - $100.00 sale. Or why they would skimp on flower food because "someone" told them it didn't help. I threw the challenge out earlier in this thread to the flower food "flat-earthers" to provide me with just one accredited scientific study that proves that commercial flower food is not beneficial to the longevity of fresh cut flowers. I am still waiting.

On a last note, its no wonder our industry is suffering when we still have to try to convince some in it to spend a single nickel to ensure their customer gets the best that they can out of the flowers they purchase.

While it is true that a post-harvest care expert told me about the similarities between 7-Up and flower food, I didn't expect you to think I was suggesting that they were interchangeable.

Reactions: theRKF
Tom, good to know, I was concerned you might be a flower food "flat earther".

The reality is that it falls upon all of us in the industry to educate our own on these matters, the uninformed only hurt the industry when they run around espousing incorrect information that in the long run alienates the consumer towards flower purchases. Being knowledgable about something as simple as cut flower food does not require a university degree, just the ability to read and comprehend. The research has already been done by the eggheads with the university degrees that fully understand the science behind it.

However, in case I have offended anyone my challenge still stands.... show me some credible scientific research that proves that proper post harvest care (including providing the end user with flower food) is not beneficial to the longevity of the flowers.

I've been reading all of these posts with fascination. I admit I lost track of which comments were taken from facebook and which ones were those of actual members here.

I was particularly amused with the florist who "Trained In Europe". I was glad to see that Doug pointed out where Chrysal is based. Trying to emulate European florists in North America is foolish and dangerous. To a large extent, European florists don't have coolers. They don't need them, partly because of their weather, and partly because a whopping 80% of their population ranks flowers right up there with bread in the necessities department. These consumers are not expecting their bread to last a week, and they don't expect their flowers to last a week either. They WILL go and buy some more, it's part of their way of life. We could only be so lucky.

The 7-up thing burns my behind. Martha Stewart went on national television and told people to use 7-up. I didn't know about it right away, but after the second dozen roses came back AND a green plant for God's sake; I finally got the low-down. (Yes, one idiot added 7-up to a plant instead of water.....) That taught me how absolutely necessary it was for me to know the correct care and handling and also the importance of handing my knowledge to every customer. As Doug pointed out, although the 7-up composition is similar, it isn't the same animal as flower food.

The best way I ever found to get through to people was to liken flowers to babies ~ for some reason they are more apt to listen. I tell them that flower food was scientifically developed to mimic the mother plant so that the flower is less traumatized when is has been cut. (I know that is simplistic but it seems to work.) I have two different small cards that I made myself, one for roses and one for other flowers. You have to bring people through the entire process, from starting with a clean vase and using a clean, sharp knife to mixing the packet(s) separately and then adding to the container as needed.

The florists who claimed cost was the issue but then said they wanted the customer to come back to them instead of the grocery store confused me. The grocery stores here have a packet attached to each and every bouquet they sell. One of the advantages I have over the grocery store is my ability to engage the customer about that little packet, to educate them on the proper and important use of it, and to give them as many packets as it will take to reasonably fill the vase plus a refill.

Lastly, I've never done a test to see the difference ~ I don't need to ~ real scientists already did that for me.

I've been reading all of these posts with fascination. I admit I lost track of which comments were taken from facebook and which ones were those of actual members here.

I was particularly amused with the florist who "Trained In Europe". I was glad to see that Doug pointed out where Chrysal is based. Trying to emulate European florists in North America is foolish and dangerous. To a large extent, European florists don't have coolers. They don't need them, partly because of their weather, and partly because a whopping 80% of their population ranks flowers right up there with bread in the necessities department. These consumers are not expecting their bread to last a week, and they don't expect their flowers to last a week either. They WILL go and buy some more, it's part of their way of life. We could only be so lucky.

The 7-up thing burns my behind. Martha Stewart went on national television and told people to use 7-up. I didn't know about it right away, but after the second dozen roses came back AND a green plant for God's sake; I finally got the low-down. (Yes, one idiot added 7-up to a plant instead of water.....) That taught me how absolutely necessary it was for me to know the correct care and handling and also the importance of handing my knowledge to every customer. As Doug pointed out, although the 7-up composition is similar, it isn't the same animal as flower food.

The best way I ever found to get through to people was to liken flowers to babies ~ for some reason they are more apt to listen. I tell them that flower food was scientifically developed to mimic the mother plant so that the flower is less traumatized when is has been cut. (I know that is simplistic but it seems to work.) I have two different small cards that I made myself, one for roses and one for other flowers. You have to bring people through the entire process, from starting with a clean vase and using a clean, sharp knife to mixing the packet(s) separately and then adding to the container as needed.

The florists who claimed cost was the issue but then said they wanted the customer to come back to them instead of the grocery store confused me. The grocery stores here have a packet attached to each and every bouquet they sell. One of the advantages I have over the grocery store is my ability to engage the customer about that little packet, to educate them on the proper and important use of it, and to give them as many packets as it will take to reasonably fill the vase plus a refill.

Lastly, I've never done a test to see the difference ~ I don't need to ~ real scientists already did that for me.

Hallelujah, a voice or reason!
Thank you Anytime Flowers,
In one post you covered all the bases,
- Europe versus North America,
- The prevailing myth of 7-Up,
- Our need to educate the consumer in a way they comprehend,
- The reality that in some areas grocery stores are doing a better job in the floral sector than some florists,
- Last but not least the fact that flower food has been scientifically tested and is a proven commodity

The bottom line is that as independent flower shops we have to be the experts in our field and master of customer service, the grocery chains have far too many other advantages over us when it comes to selling flowers.

I will preface this by saying that I do give out packets and I do see the value in doing so. (although I apparently need to give out more with each sale than I have been) But my only concern is the statement by someone that using too little is as bad as not using any. That worries me a bit since like others I have customers who ignore ALL instructions given and most likely do not read the instructions on the packs. I still keep trying to educate and will continue to give the food because I know it's good customer service and what happens after they leave my store is beyond my control.( like the guy who sticks flowers in the trunk on a freezing cold day...I have been known to run out and stop that if I see it happening!)

There is no doubt that there is a risk that some of your customers will not follow instructions on care and handling, to expect any less would be naive. How many will not follow instructions is anyone's guess, however one thing I am certain about is the results if no flower food or instructions are given.

In today's changing flower market independent "mom & pop" flower shops are fighting for survival. The big boys (groceries, Costco's, etc) have a tremendous appeal to the consumer, one stop shopping, loyalty programs, pricing, etc. On the other hand, what the little guy (that would be us) has to offer is customer service and knowledge. So we need to use our strengths at every opportunity. So when you sell a customer flowers, explain the need for care and handling and emphasize if that if the instructions are followed that they will get additional enjoyment out of their flowers as they will last longer.

I have just found this thread and find it fascinating...and am not sure how to proceed. I believe in flower food and all my flowers are processed/conditioned with flower food. We also use quick dip, and we dip each stem again before it goes in an arrangement. I do not give out packets of flower food because I was told it was worse to use it improperly - i.e. one packet is for 1 pint of water. My clients tell me the vase life of my flowers is amazing, but maybe I should do something different?

I have just found this thread and find it fascinating...and am not sure how to proceed. I believe in flower food and all my flowers are processed/conditioned with flower food. We also use quick dip, and we dip each stem again before it goes in an arrangement. I do not give out packets of flower food because I was told it was worse to use it improperly - i.e. one packet is for 1 pint of water. My clients tell me the vase life of my flowers is amazing, but maybe I should do something different?

I would imagine that since you already give so much attention to cut flowers that you are giving them a tremendous boost from the start. I find it interesting that many people are amazed if a bouquet lasts more than a week, those are the ones who are used to flowers that have been mishandled so when they get hold of flowers that have been properly treated they are amazed.

The flower food is much more than energy though, it really does fight bacteria in the water so do consider sending out the packets ~ just be sure to tell everyone to use them exactly as directed.

We always send packets of flower food based on how big the arrangement is.

I was told by someone once that they were upset (they felt gipped) when the bouquet of flowers their wife received did not include flower food. They felt it lessened the value of the flowers. They live in Ireland though, and seem to care about flowers more than we/people do here in Canada.

For me, besides helping the customer feel this value, I think adding a couple or a few more packets almost suggests to the consumer that hey you need this many because your flowers are going to last that long.
Now ... Whether it does...
... Depends on many things but hopefully we did our job well.