maureen Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess she told us off. "You guys are mean", the nerve...

sorry, facts are facts, retail is retail and retail means "making money" not selling it for what you buy it for.

While I too find the practice of taking the customer to the wholesaler and letting him or her purchase at wholesale price.......a questionable to bad business practice at least........I might be going against the flow.....but with the candor of her replies......I am inclined to vote yes on membership. Normally, I would vote no......but there is enough professional information given that I think she could benefit and grow her business and help to develop good business practices.

Reactions: Victoria
did any of you see her website?? she is no basement Betty! she has talent and does a nice job~ so maybe she works a little different then us. She has rights to run her business they way she wants too. If her local is alright with the way she does things they are all happy she probably spends a lot of money there buying flowers. Gosh people lighten up! if it was throw together mess then maybe we could all jump on her but her work speaks:itchy: for it's self! I would have liked to asked her some questions about her designs!

I agree that we aren't going to learn if we only let in members that think like us, act like us, and run their business like us. I don't have to agree with everyone's business decisions to learn from them. She does beautiful work. I think Thom is right-perhaps she would have seen things from a different point of view if we had voted her in. Now she's gone and thinks poorly of us. A lost opportunity for her and us.

Now she's gone and thinks poorly of us. A lost opportunity for her and us.

maureen
New Applicant
Business Name: you folks are just plain mean - goodbye!
City: eviscerated by flowerchat
State / Prov: wa

Isn't that like disemboweling a cow carcass? Maybe we could try and not be so forth in our feelings and personally beliefs when new apps are introducing themselves.

Just a suggestion. This box is getting smaller by the day.

No, i am not going to apologise for saying what is right in my opinion. Customers should not be taken to the wholesalers full stop.

If anyone wants to vet the applicants and vote for them they can. I am not stopping anyone approving people. What i dont appreciate is someone saying i should not have my say or walk on my eyelashes. Sorry, not going to happen.

We are trying to keep this board professional aren't we? I dont think what she does is professional. My opinion. And, putting that comment under her name is just childish imho.

Thats all from me.

I guess she told us off. "You guys are mean", the nerve...

A bit worse, she accused us of disemboweling her. Geez..........:dunno:

Oops! should have read the entire thread before posting because Thom beat me to that comment.

As Palms stated, I do feel very strongly about this one. While being an advocate for becoming educated as possible, I feel that she needs a bit of a rude awakening, and perhaps this thread has helped with that. We're not mother hens here. If we're mean, we're also lean, and getting leaner everyday as the dOGs, Basement Bettys, and the economy try take more of our business.

I am ok with studios and different business approaches, however, not a fan of dragging customers along to the wholesaler. BTW, most wholesalers I know are not a fan of that either.

She may yet get voted in but if she's thin-skinned she'll have a hard time anyway.

I really think everyone here has a right to their opinion. And, I might add, at the end of the day, I agree with!

I'm not blaming anyone for stating their opinion, but I do think there may be a better way to bring people in for membership. She said it herself, she didn't even have any idea she was being "voted" on.

I haven't been here long enough to forget how I felt when I signed up. I have to say, I had no idea what I was walking into when I first started. I felt like I was in room with people talking about me like I wasn't there. It was a little off-putting. I seriously almost never came back to look if I was approved or not. Actually I didnt't even know when I was approved. It was very confusing. Luckily, I didn't have anyone say anything negative about me being a grocery store florist or I probably would have high-tailed it out and never looked back.

I don't recall it being clear that other members "voted" on whether the membership was approved or not when I signed on. I felt blindsided as a think many others have as well.

I'm just saying it should be more up front so these bright, enthusiastic, newcomers to the industry have an idea what to expect. I've seen a number of new member intros with a positive and eager tone in there introductory posts suddenly change to defensive and hurt. Is it really necessary and is it really our in our best interest as a floral forum?

Just one perspective.....

I am ok with studios and different business approaches, however, not a fan of dragging customers along to the wholesaler. BTW, most wholesalers I know are not a fan of that either.

She may yet get voted in but if she's thin-skinned she'll have a hard time anyway.

I agree with you, Robin.

How do we combat this? I think bringing them into the conversation and letting them see another perspective is a better approach then p***ing them off and sending them packing.

I have a feeling this person is probably very anti-traditional florist right now if she wasn't before. She is probably determined to screw us over any way she can.

Not really helping our cause as far as I can see.

I love that you all take participation in reading/voting the new members. There are alot of flowerchatters who do not take the time to review applicants. Palms, Robin, RWK, Connie, Sandy, Greatflowerlady, etc (all) I love you all dearly and look forward to reading your posts.

That being said, we all have the right to vote whichever way we feel will better the flowerchat community. Personally, I voted no also. Just because this person "does pretty work" does NOT make them a professional in our field. Just my opinion........

I am certain that the local flower shop owners in her area probably don't appreciate seeing her at the wholesalers with a customer. If you read her posts, you will see that she and her husband are professionals in other fields. She knows what she is doing by taking brides to the wholesaler. It's not like she has no clue and just because someone on flowerchat lets her in that she will bonk herself on the head and say, "Oh of course, you are right. I won't do this anymore." Why should she discontinue a practice such as hers when she can undercut everyone in the field? If I gave flowers away, I'd be pretty popular too!

If you read what is stated when you apply at flowerchat, you should know that this is not a public forum. Not just anyone can "get in". Business can be a dirty fight and, therefore, we need to have some type of boundaries.

Why have a voting process when the people who always want to vote everyone in, questions the people who don't wish to have certain posters in the forum?

Just my 2 cents and that's all it's worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.