Article Meet Shawn Mcburney, The Industry's Newest Lobbyist

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
The Society of American Florists added a new member to its government relations department, just in time for Congressional Action Days. We caught up with Shawn McBurney, who represents florists’ fiscal interests on Capitol Hill.

Consider this your electronic introduction. Follow it up by lobbying with him and dozens of your peers March 9 and 10.

KH: What’s your background?

SM: Most recently I had my own consulting firm and did a lot of grassroots advocacy. Prior to that, I was a lobbyist with the American Hotel & Lodging Association for ten years and ran the congressional affairs office of a federal agency as a presidential appointee, ran congressional affairs for a non-profit, and worked as a staffer on Capitol Hill for many years. I was born and raised in Orange County, California and went to school at UCLA.

KH: What drew you to SAF?

SM: I had known the previous lobbyist, Corey Connors, for many years. We had worked together on several issues of common interest to our respective associations. I became familiar with SAF’s issues through that interaction and Corey noted what a pleasure it was to work for SAF and with its members. When the position became available, I jumped at the chance.

KH: What's the most fascinating thing you've learned about the industry since you started this position?

SM: The complexity of the industry. As a lobbyist, I try to look at things as a casual observer would see them to get a better idea on how to explain them. A member of Congress, like any other person, has no special insight into any particular industry unless it is their background. Issues people in the floral industry face every day may seem like they would be obvious to anyone, especially those making policies that directly impact them, but they are not. For example, I had never considered that a European trade problem with countries in Africa or the classification of a certain plant disease by DHS could have a devastating impact on my ability to buy flowers for my wife on Valentine’s Day.

KH: What are your goals for this year's Congressional Action Days?

SM: To impress upon members of Congress the importance and impact of the floral industry and how policies they create can affect it, even if unintentionally.

KH: Why should florists participate in CAD?

SM: Like it or not, what happens in Washington impacts the bottom line of every person in the industry. A sentence or even a word in legislation meant to address a completely different issue can determine if certain flowers will be available, who can be hired, and how much they have to be compensated.

Want to help McBurney fight the good fight? Sign up now to participate in Congressional Action Days. http://www.safnow.org/congressional-action-days