not a new member but haven't ever posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

overendesigns

Jul 2, 2005
Laguna Hills
State / Prov
CA
My name is Cheryl. My company is Overend Designs, Inc.
I live in Southern California and have had my own floral business since 1986 providing plant and floral services to Associations and Corporate Events (with a wedding thrown in every now and then) traveling all over the United States. I work directly on-site in convention centers and hotels. Usually I bring in freelance designers to work on site, occasionally I will sub out some floral work if I have too many plates spinning and can't handle everything myself...
I am often looking for local growers in the various convention cities that provide a nice full florist quality product, 6" color & foliages, etc. Likewise, occasionally I am looking for designers or just people who don't mind hard work and long hours and can take some directions and go.... For example I have a show in Philadelphia in September that I am currently sourcing.
I often forget to go to this site as when I get the periodic emails there is no direct link to connect....which makes it a little difficult to access and I am not normally a "chatty" person.
However, I certainly don't want to lose my "status". So hopefully this will serve as my introduction...
And of course if anyone knows a good nursery/greenhouse in the Philly area...

Reactions: 3 people
Cheryl,
Welcome, back I guess, right? I mean since you've been here, but never posted ...

You have a great website!
Your apsect of this industry is really foreign to me - I mean, I think I understand what you do, but what happens to everything at the end of the trade show? How do you find good help, in places you may not have been to?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm just really curious about your end of the business!:)

tracy

Cheryl, glad you're finally posting. You have much to offer this site.

As Tracy said, your site is lovely as is your work.

Welcome aboard.

V

At the end of the show, the large floor plants that I rent go to the rental company in the town where I am...the color and foliage plants I buy may go to that same nursery, be kept by the exhibitor or a convention worker or on rare occasion I am able to reuse it if I have another show in the same town... many convention centers and hotels are "going green" and sending products to other venues...usually I am not in town long enough, nor do I have the means to "gift them" to a senior center...

Cheryl -
I don't know suppliers in Philly, but if you can't find anyone, I can recommend some in NJ that are within an hour of Philadelphia.

Members Philly Florist, Flowershop Solutions and MasterJ are in the Philadelphia area - they might be able to suggest some plant suppliers for you.

I really hope you'll continue to post. We have a lot of readers here, and different sectors of the floral industry have valid opinions to contribute. You never know how you handle an issue may help someone else, even if we're not quite the same business model.

okay, off to make palm trees for tomorrow's wedding now!

Welcome back Cheryl,
tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.