Article On Tap For 2015: A Rich Wine

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
After several years of jeweled tones and punchy Lilly Pulitzer-esque hues everywhere you look, a sultrier shade is stepping into the spotlight.

Late last week, Pantone, recognized internationally as “the authority on color,” announced Marsala as the color of 2015.

Hailed as a “robust and earthy red wine,” Marsala will work nicely for the floral industry, several designers said.

“I immediately think of rich, rusty red mokara orchids and brown hypericum berries,” said Walter Fedyshyn, AIFD,PFCI, of City Scents in Chicago. “There is a miniature calla called ‘red pulse’ that displays the exact same red, brown and wine shades I use a lot.” He anticipates using Marsala as an accent color in several combinations, including neutrals, browns and beiges, as well as reds, corals and burnt orange.

“I love it, probably because it is a VERY different color – sort of a ‘dully, dirty look’ rather than the bright shades we’ve been seeing,” said Ft. Myers, Fla., freelance designer Sylvia Bird, AAF, AIFD, PFCI. “It’s still very appealing though and lends itself well to pairing with vibrant flowers.” Her “short” list of complementary flowers includes the following roses: ‘Carousel’, ‘Cezanne’, ‘Experance’, ‘Millenium’, ‘Queen Amazone’, ‘Raspberry Ice’, ‘Riviera’, ‘Sunny Leonidas’, ‘Sweet Candia’, ‘Sweet Elegance’, ‘Sweetberry’, ‘Sweetness’ and ‘Vogue’.

Lindsay Brown, of Elle Emme: Floral & Design Atelier in Roanoke, Va., called it “very rich and fresh.” “I’m tired of corals and teals,” she said. “It will pair beautifully with metallics.”

For more ideas, click here for more thoughts from the industry (including frequent Florist 2.0 contributor, Joe Guggia, AIFD.)

What's your take? Do you love or hate 'Marsala'? What flowers does it remind you of? (I picture aubergine lilies.) How do you plan to use it?

After several years of jeweled tones and punchy Lilly Pulitzer-esque hues everywhere you look, a sultrier shade is stepping into the spotlight.

Late last week, Pantone, recognized internationally as “the authority on color,” announced Marsala as the color of 2015.

Hailed as a “robust and earthy red wine,” Marsala will work nicely for the floral industry, several designers said.

“I immediately think of rich, rusty red mokara orchids and brown hypericum berries,” said Walter Fedyshyn, AIFD,PFCI, of City Scents in Chicago. “There is a miniature calla called ‘red pulse’ that displays the exact same red, brown and wine shades I use a lot.” He anticipates using Marsala as an accent color in several combinations, including neutrals, browns and beiges, as well as reds, corals and burnt orange.

“I love it, probably because it is a VERY different color – sort of a ‘dully, dirty look’ rather than the bright shades we’ve been seeing,” said Ft. Myers, Fla., freelance designer Sylvia Bird, AAF, AIFD, PFCI. “It’s still very appealing though and lends itself well to pairing with vibrant flowers.” Her “short” list of complementary flowers includes the following roses: ‘Carousel’, ‘Cezanne’, ‘Experance’, ‘Millenium’, ‘Queen Amazone’, ‘Raspberry Ice’, ‘Riviera’, ‘Sunny Leonidas’, ‘Sweet Candia’, ‘Sweet Elegance’, ‘Sweetberry’, ‘Sweetness’ and ‘Vogue’.

Lindsay Brown, of Elle Emme: Floral & Design Atelier in Roanoke, Va., called it “very rich and fresh.” “I’m tired of corals and teals,” she said. “It will pair beautifully with metallics.”

For more ideas, click here for more thoughts from the industry (including frequent Florist 2.0 contributor, Joe Guggia, AIFD.)

What's your take? Do you love or hate 'Marsala'? What flowers does it remind you of? (I picture aubergine lilies.) How do you plan to use it?

What's amazing is that I have vivid memories of this hue years ago. In fact, I mixed orange tones with purples for a few weddings! To this day, the true diversity (although it may not seem evident) of the color is what is so appealing. I'm a fan of the deepness.....renaissance revitalized!