Paid Text Links Google backlink Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is somewhat related ... but it's important to remember that PageRank is just one of many, many factors that impact a page's ranking.

There is heavy speculation that Google already weighs user data into the ranking algo. They know when a user clicks on Result 1, hits BACK, clicks #2, hits BACK, clicks #3 and doesn't come back. They know the user behaviour of every site that uses Google Analytics. Now, they will have data from DoubleClick's ad network.

Google Personalized Search will reflect your behaviour and preferences. They have even experimented with having users vote on SERPs.

Ryan

Eric S gave me an idea in another thread, and I'll finally be impressed with SEO skillz if you can pull this off.

One of you get the frozen roses video on Page 1 of Google for Proflowers, and the other for FTD.COM. There's already a good base of inbound links. It comes up #1 for 'frozen proflowers' and 'frozen roses'.

Great idea! SEO shootout!

RJD, I think that is a great idea. Perhaps Ryan would agree with me on this...if a lot of us pointed links from our sites to the proflowers video using the anchor text "flowers" it is likely that we could push the video up in the search results for that general term. It would take a lot of us...I think...and probably a couple of forums would have to ban together to get the task done.

Basically, we would follow the same principle as those who pushed the presidential website to rank 1# in www.Yahoo.com for the term: "miserable failure".

I think it could be done but we'd need a team effort.

A strategy and a plan may have just been born !
Though no where near as savvy as you all are I think I like the basic concept.
Is this do-able ?

Kevin

Kevin,

100% achievable if everyone pitches in. We have a lot of great links to the video already from blogs and websites, but we can always use more.

Either of these two guys--Mac or Ryan--should be able to push the video to the first page for the respective term.

I would rather not use the general term "flowers", since this video demonstrates flowers in not the best way (thanks to Proflowers). I'd rather we focused on the individual companies dragging down the industry.

Yes. It is do-able. It would be good if Ryan weighed in though on what he knows about the Google's bombing filter. As far as I know, Google's bombing filter would not kick in because the video is completely on topic.

I think we'd need a web-page (I have no problem providing that) that would help explain the layout and the reason for the strategy in order to aid in the process of helping other florists understand how it works.

Intrigued by the overall concept.

Keep me advised as to where this goes.
I, and many more, I expect, should be interested.

Would like to hear from Cathy and BOSS, as well as Cheryl and Carol, ( to name a few )on this idea as well.

Thank you

Kevin

Proflowers

RJD, my SEO for FireFox software says that about 513 - 552 people type the keyword "proflowers" a day. Is that enough exposure? I think so...but what do other's think?

Anything is better than nothing,..........and nothing seems to be prevalent !
( Not meant in a derogatory way )

Ryan, Cathy BOSS......etc......

Thinking back........

Prestonway, BigTed, Tom Carlson, Felicity, Navy, Bloomz and SFOX should have interesting input.

RJD, my SEO for FireFox software says that about 513 - 552 people type the keyword "proflowers" a day. Is that enough exposure? I think so...but what do other's think?

Considering the video is about Proflowers specifically, we're right on target for those people. High relevance.

Back on this thread's topic, here are two additional opinions about the paid link kerfuffle:

Most of Google's "problems" with paid links and link gaming would evaporate if they simply stopped publishing that hideous PageRank value.
More time and money been wasted on that one number than anything else on the WWW. Likewise, more quack theories surround it than you'll find at a UFO convention.
- Dirk Johnson

I might as well come out and get right to the point. There are hypocrites on both sides: from Google and from the SEO community. What ticks me off about both sides is I see a lot of finger pointing ("Oh, Google shouldn't do this!") without certain SEO professionals taking responsibility for their own actions.

Likewise, I am very, very disappointed and rather disgusted with some of the folks at Google that they honestly believe that people do not see through some of Google's hypocrisy about paid links.
- Shari Thurow

Shari's whole post is interesting. Full posts at http://www.led-digest.com/content/view/1986/190/.

Good stuff Rich - one just doesn't know who to believe (yes including Matt Cutts - I know what dissemination of disinformation means as well) - I spend a decent amount of time reading SEO forums and blogs and conflicting theory's are thicker than flies on a @@@@pile.

Side trip a bit, but I was reading thru some directions on my google webmaster tools account, and found the statement something to the effect of

"Don't worry, google's crawler won't access your page more often that about every 5 seconds."

Yup that one surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.