Rose Prices Will Rise—so What Should You Do?

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Rose Prices WILL Rise—So What Should You DO?
A few weeks ago, U.S. florists might have impacted whether the American government would renew the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA). Florists might have banded together to pressure their political representatives—who were to vote July 31 on the act—on supporting or voting down the agreement. The act would have affected florists by eliminating tariffs on rose imports from Ecuador (worth about $250 million a year).

Ecuadorian rose.jpgBut, today? Your opinion on the issue no longer matters. A former National Security Agency (NSA) staffer named Edward Snowden inadvertently determined the outcome for you when he leaked NSA documents outlining a massive effort by the agency to track American citizens’ cell-phone calls and monitor their e-mail and Internet traffic. When Ecuador considered giving Snowden asylum, the Obama administration put the vote on indefinite hold. In response, Ecuador flat out rejected the act.

That means, at this point, it is an almost certainty that the prices of Ecuadorian roses and other flowers will start increasing as of Aug. 1.

How will this rise in prices impact American florists? FlowerChat put that question—and a few others—in front of O. Stanley Pohmer Jr. Stan is CEO of Pohmer Consulting Group (Minnetonka, Minn.) and executive director of the Flower Promotion Organization (www.flowerpossibilities.com). Stan is well-known for his industry insight and prognostications on what to expect each New Year for the next 12 months. Knowing he’s got his pulse on the industry, FlowerChat knew Stan could provide some hands-on guidance to help florists prepare for Aug. 1 and beyond.

FlowerChat (FC): Now that it seems inevitable that the trade pact we have with Ecuador will not be renewed due to the Snowden issue, what can florists do to prepare for the price increases? How high exactly do you think florists can expect the increases to go?

Stan Pohmer (SP): As you suggested, it doesn’t look good that the ATPDEA will be renewed for Ecuador (which was probably not going to happen even before the Snowden issue), and the adding of roses to the GSP (the Generalized System of Preferences, a mechanism meant to encourage development in lower-income countries) is, at least for now, a very remote possibility. So, duties of 6.8 percent will be assessed on roses and spray roses, 3.2 percent on mini carnations and 6.4 percent on all other flower types from Ecuador, effective on 8/1/13. Note that these are the duties that would be assessed on the first cost (at point of entry into the U.S.). By the time the flowers work their way through the distribution system, it’s likely that the incremental cost to the florist will be somewhat higher than these assessed percentages.

Florists can prepare for the impending cost increases by doing what they should be doing 52 weeks a year: reviewing and cost-analyzing the components of all of their arrangement and bouquet recipes to see whether there are viable flower alternatives that strike their desired balance between design, quality statement, real/perceived retail price points and profit needs/goals. In some cases, they may be able to swap out an Ecuadorian rose with a lower-cost stem from another global growing area; but, in other cases, design demands or specific requests from customers will dictate that they’ll need to use the higher-price rose, and then they may need to adjust their price point upwards to compensate for the higher cost.

FC: Should florists try to educate their customers about the price increases (i.e. with signage in their shops, notices on their websites, blogs, e-newsletters)? Or is it too complex for consumers to understand and, thus, not worth the time to spend on explanations?

SP: Unless a florist is selling only Ecuadorian product and using this as a marketing statement (I don’t know any shops that fit this scenario), it doesn’t make any business sense to try to explain a reason for a retail increase to customers. In most shops, Ecuadorian flowers are mixed with flowers from other growing regions, and it would be extremely difficult to rationalize any price increase to the consumer based on a single component-cost increase. Most consumers really don’t care about the origin of their flowers or the cost challenges their retailers face; they’re more concerned with the overall appearance and the perceived value of the complete package (i.e. the arrangement or bouquet).

FC: Are there other areas of their business that you would recommend florists take a closer look at to reduce costs to keep overall prices as close as possible to current levels—or is this wishful thinking?

SP: Hopefully, florists are continuing the strong focus on cost management that they employed over the past four to five years that allowed them to survive the economic downturn. As we’ve learned, there are no silver bullets; we just need to continue to manage our businesses and expenses effectively in an ever-changing environment.

FC: What do you expect will happen to the prices of Colombian flowers? Do you anticipate those farms will increase their prices, as well, simply because they can to keep their prices competitive with Ecuador’s prices?

SP: The cut-flower industry has been, and will continue to be, a highly competitive business. Personally, I believe farms in Colombia and other growing areas will look at this situation as an opportunity to gain market share and add volume, so I don’t see them increasing selling costs significantly as a result of these newly assessed duties on Ecuadorian flowers.

FC: Any other information you believe is important for florists to understand regarding this issue?

SP: While florists may see the imposed duties on Ecuadorian flowers as their prime concern, because that is what will directly impact them, it’s important to understand that many other product categories from Ecuador are affected by the nonrenewal of the ATPDEA and GSP situation; it’s a bigger problem than just flowers. Though we may not like the implications on our businesses or the impact these duties may have on the flower farms in Ecuador, the decisions made by the U.S. and Ecuadorian governments are geo-political and at a far higher level than a single product category. We can voice our opinions to our legislators when there’s legislation before them to vote on. But, until then, we’ll have to deal with the nonpolitical realities.

Have questions for Stan? You can reach him at 612-605-8799 or [email protected].

What Are YOUR Thoughts?
How do you feel about the impact of the tariffs on Ecuadorian products? Share your comments below.

Though I do agree that most farms in the US and other areas will want to stay competitive I fear that the prices will increase when the demand increases. For now, (before they have time to expand or the money to do it with) I would think the demand will increase very quickly.

I do hope that this will have some kind of effect on the drop shippers. That could be a very positive thing to come from all of this.

Reactions: theRKF
Lori,

You're right - increased demand + decreased competitive pricing = higher prices across the board.

Utilities, labour, and rent will rise at some point too. Unfortunately rising costs like these are generally beyond the control of the retailer. The only solution from the retail side is increasing sales to account for the increased costs.

We expect the increase to be about a nickle or less per stem and further anticipate that the agreement will be renewed almost immediately after the Edward Snowden ordeal blows over and the political pressure relaxes. Until then, we will keep our pricing intact and hope for resolution in the short-term.

Reactions: concord
Hello. We are a grower in Ecuador that has been loyal to the traditional market for many years, and work hard on providing floral shops with fresh product FARM DIRECT and avoid working with mass markets. As the 1st day of August approaches the lack of detail regarding ATPDA may affect your business not because of costs but because lack of information.
What I would like to know, is how can we as a farm, make your business more effective and provide you with all the information you may require?

The one thing I worry about is weddings we have coming up this fall. Lots are paid in full and higher prices = less profit. We always figure wedding flowers with a 4x or more mark up so we should be covered. With gas prices on the rise here too we are closely watching everything as it comes in. We will adjust our pricing accordingly to cover our profit margin on everyday sales.

Doug ~
The only solution from the retail side is increasing sales to account for the increased costs.
I'm not sure if I understand that. Do you mean increase prices, or increase the number of sales?

The one thing I worry about is weddings we have coming up this fall. Lots are paid in full and higher prices = less profit. We always figure wedding flowers with a 4x or more mark up so we should be covered. With gas prices on the rise here too we are closely watching everything as it comes in. We will adjust our pricing accordingly to cover our profit margin on everyday sales.

Doug ~
I'm not sure if I understand that. Do you mean increase prices, or increase the number of sales?

In a perfect world you might be able to do both, however increasing the number of sales should come first and foremost, in retail customer count is King. Increasing prices often is a short term fix that can have disastrous consequences if it ends up making you non competitive. So before you jack up pricing you must know where you sit in regards to your competitor.

Reactions: theRKF

Good morning. Have you considered reaching to Ecuadorian Roses directly from the farm? This is a great way to mantain costs and work with fresh products. Specially for weddings when you know with plenty time in advance what you will be needing.

I'm just worried at what this will do to standing orders. We have an amazing rose buy right now and I'm able to offer $15.99 dozens.... uggh. Time to look at some numbers.

I'm just worried at what this will do to standing orders. We have an amazing rose buy right now and I'm able to offer $15.99 dozens.... uggh. Time to look at some numbers.

Doug, if I tell you you could still get Ecuadorian roses at $ 0.90 in 60cm, would you still have a competitive mark up for those 15 dollar bunches?

Rose Prices WILL Rise—So What Should You DO?
A few weeks ago, U.S. florists might have impacted whether the American government would renew the Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA). Florists might have banded together to pressure their political representatives—who were to vote July 31 on the act—on supporting or voting down the agreement. The act would have affected florists by eliminating tariffs on rose imports from Ecuador (worth about $250 million a year).

View attachment 16038But, today? Your opinion on the issue no longer matters. A former National Security Agency (NSA) staffer named Edward Snowden inadvertently determined the outcome for you when he leaked NSA documents outlining a massive effort by the agency to track American citizens’ cell-phone calls and monitor their e-mail and Internet traffic. When Ecuador considered giving Snowden asylum, the Obama administration put the vote on indefinite hold. In response, Ecuador flat out rejected the act.

That means, at this point, it is an almost certainty that the prices of Ecuadorian roses and other flowers will start increasing as of Aug. 1.

How will this rise in prices impact American florists? FlowerChat put that question—and a few others—in front of O. Stanley Pohmer Jr. Stan is CEO of Pohmer Consulting Group (Minnetonka, Minn.) and executive director of the Flower Promotion Organization (www.flowerpossibilities.com). Stan is well-known for his industry insight and prognostications on what to expect each New Year for the next 12 months. Knowing he’s got his pulse on the industry, FlowerChat knew Stan could provide some hands-on guidance to help florists prepare for Aug. 1 and beyond.

FlowerChat (FC): Now that it seems inevitable that the trade pact we have with Ecuador will not be renewed due to the Snowden issue, what can florists do to prepare for the price increases? How high exactly do you think florists can expect the increases to go?

Stan Pohmer (SP): As you suggested, it doesn’t look good that the ATPDEA will be renewed for Ecuador (which was probably not going to happen even before the Snowden issue), and the adding of roses to the GSP (the Generalized System of Preferences, a mechanism meant to encourage development in lower-income countries) is, at least for now, a very remote possibility. So, duties of 6.8 percent will be assessed on roses and spray roses, 3.2 percent on mini carnations and 6.4 percent on all other flower types from Ecuador, effective on 8/1/13. Note that these are the duties that would be assessed on the first cost (at point of entry into the U.S.). By the time the flowers work their way through the distribution system, it’s likely that the incremental cost to the florist will be somewhat higher than these assessed percentages.

Florists can prepare for the impending cost increases by doing what they should be doing 52 weeks a year: reviewing and cost-analyzing the components of all of their arrangement and bouquet recipes to see whether there are viable flower alternatives that strike their desired balance between design, quality statement, real/perceived retail price points and profit needs/goals. In some cases, they may be able to swap out an Ecuadorian rose with a lower-cost stem from another global growing area; but, in other cases, design demands or specific requests from customers will dictate that they’ll need to use the higher-price rose, and then they may need to adjust their price point upwards to compensate for the higher cost.

FC: Should florists try to educate their customers about the price increases (i.e. with signage in their shops, notices on their websites, blogs, e-newsletters)? Or is it too complex for consumers to understand and, thus, not worth the time to spend on explanations?

SP: Unless a florist is selling only Ecuadorian product and using this as a marketing statement (I don’t know any shops that fit this scenario), it doesn’t make any business sense to try to explain a reason for a retail increase to customers. In most shops, Ecuadorian flowers are mixed with flowers from other growing regions, and it would be extremely difficult to rationalize any price increase to the consumer based on a single component-cost increase. Most consumers really don’t care about the origin of their flowers or the cost challenges their retailers face; they’re more concerned with the overall appearance and the perceived value of the complete package (i.e. the arrangement or bouquet).

FC: Are there other areas of their business that you would recommend florists take a closer look at to reduce costs to keep overall prices as close as possible to current levels—or is this wishful thinking?

SP: Hopefully, florists are continuing the strong focus on cost management that they employed over the past four to five years that allowed them to survive the economic downturn. As we’ve learned, there are no silver bullets; we just need to continue to manage our businesses and expenses effectively in an ever-changing environment.

FC: What do you expect will happen to the prices of Colombian flowers? Do you anticipate those farms will increase their prices, as well, simply because they can to keep their prices competitive with Ecuador’s prices?

SP: The cut-flower industry has been, and will continue to be, a highly competitive business. Personally, I believe farms in Colombia and other growing areas will look at this situation as an opportunity to gain market share and add volume, so I don’t see them increasing selling costs significantly as a result of these newly assessed duties on Ecuadorian flowers.

FC: Any other information you believe is important for florists to understand regarding this issue?

SP: While florists may see the imposed duties on Ecuadorian flowers as their prime concern, because that is what will directly impact them, it’s important to understand that many other product categories from Ecuador are affected by the nonrenewal of the ATPDEA and GSP situation; it’s a bigger problem than just flowers. Though we may not like the implications on our businesses or the impact these duties may have on the flower farms in Ecuador, the decisions made by the U.S. and Ecuadorian governments are geo-political and at a far higher level than a single product category. We can voice our opinions to our legislators when there’s legislation before them to vote on. But, until then, we’ll have to deal with the nonpolitical realities.

Have questions for Stan? You can reach him at 612-605-8799 or [email protected].

What Are YOUR Thoughts?
How do you feel about the impact of the tariffs on Ecuadorian products? Share your comments below.
I watch rose sales in the Supermarket, men in suites, men on Sunday mornings, hand tied with gyp and paper card etc for less than I can pay for them. Raise prices? I cant give away roses. The roses are less than the bing cherries!!

I watch rose sales in the Supermarket, men in suites, men on Sunday mornings, hand tied with gyp and paper card etc for less than I can pay for them. Raise prices? I cant give away roses. The roses are less than the bing cherries!!
"The sky is falling" - Chicken Little

We have a special buy through the summer. We order 250 roses a week and get them for $.61 each. We sell them for $15.99 wrapped in paper, no filler, no greens. You would be surprised how many people buy a vase ($9.99), and add B/B & Greens ($8.00). If they want to pay for those items and our labor charge they can get the $15.99 special all done up for $35.99. These are 50cm - 60cm roses. We have also gotten 40s at .41 each before but that time may be gone. We also sell them at our regular price point of $3.50 in our arrangements and if someone wants just a single rose. Over the phone and on our website our vased with trimming roses sell for $69. If they call or place the order online this is what we charge. The $15.99 is WALK IN only! Wrapped and ready is what we call it. We sell about 15 - 20 bundles a week. After we sell the first 10 the other 10 are profit.
We are a SMALL shop (under 200k a year in sales) and we do very well with the special. We promote it on Facebook, on our boardwalk sign, and on the sign on the side of our building. It brings in all kinds of traffic. Sometimes they just come in to look and see what colors we have. Oh, and we never have red. We ask for them not to be in the mix.
The grocery store down the road started $8.99 a dozen special and it hasn't hurt us in the least. (And when I say down the road, I mean less than a full city block away.)

Matthew, what is occurring in our industry shouldn't surprise anyone, what surprises me is it took so long. Most other retail sectors long ago experienced the sea change brought about by mass marketeers and the Internet. Both have caused the demise of small retail as we knew it 2-3 decades ago. The butcher, the baker, the corner hardware store, you name a retail sector and the story is the same, the small mom and pop shop is under siege.

So who's to blame for this? As consumers we all are! Every time we shop at Walmart, Best Buy, Safeway, Home Depot, or make a purchase from Amazon.com we drive another nail into the coffin of small business. So why do we do it, simple.... As consumers the nickel we save today outweighs the future consequences. That is the mindset that killed American manufacturing, at one time the "Big Three" ruled the automotive industry, now they require the taxpayer to bail them out. The ironic part is that same taxpayer is probably driving a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan so by default is not even supporting the very sector of an industry he is financing.

So it appears we are the authors of our own demise