Not open for further replies.

mcf

Aug 2, 2004
Houston
www.memorialcityflorist.com
State / Prov
TX
Calling all yankees...

Had a florist in Brooklyn send an inquiry regarding a $100 standing easel request. Claimed their sprays started at $150, but they could do a "standing basket" for $100.

Question, does the basket actually "stand"? Is it attached to an easel or is it just what we call a funeral basket?

We've done fireside baskets on easels in the past, but this term is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks!

We have done designs in the recreations mache containers that sit down into a easel type flower stand. I never really had a name for them but I found this online:

In the Northeastern United States, standing funeral baskets which come in a stand to display flowers at eye level are also available.

This was the only image I could find that came close to what I am talking about...
http://www.ginnysgifts.com/shop/images/Standing Basket.jpg

Hope that helps

Calling all yankees...

Had a florist in Brooklyn send an inquiry regarding a $100 standing easel request. Claimed their sprays started at $150, but they could do a "standing basket" for $100.
Typical pricing for NY area - ours start a little lower, but have had the same issue with pricing.

Question, does the basket actually "stand"? Is it attached to an easel or is it just what we call a funeral basket?
Like Heather showed, it stands in an inexpensive metal holder, usually with some draping greenery.

tracy

there appears to be some confusion here

Funeral arrangement is equivalent to a paper mache funeral container arrangement. It is fan shaped.

Fireside basket uses a fireside basket and an oval shaped paper mache container with a block of Oasis set on edge. The container and block are wired to the basket. Traditionally, the flowers are arrangement in a fan shape.

Spray On Easel. Green wired easel with a hook, an easel cage, a poly bag and a block of Oasis. Instead of a fan shaped arrangement, this bouquet is an oval shape (traditionally). Other styles can be used.

In the old days, funeral sprays were hand tied arrangements, fan shaped with stems left on bound together with a bow. The funeral home had a wall rack that they used to "hook" the spray on to the stand.

Fireside basket on an easel, Bend the top third of a green wired easel back on a 45 degree angle, attach the fireside with and Oasis cage and block to easel. Arrange flowers through the handle of the basket. This arrangement more closely resembles a spray on an easel arrangement, but with a basket added for visual interest.

Joe

And to avoid any further confusion, the entire "Northeast" doesn't make those standing baskets. We use mostly maches, baskets or easel sprays. Mostly maches and the FD arranges some on the floor - usually taller ones with shorter or smaller maches on pedestals or stands. We get very few calls anymore for the plastic handled baskets and even large wicker baskets - especially when they find out the large baskets themselves cost $15 & up ....
Geez, don't want to waste money on just a basket!!

Heather is correct. A standing bsk. is in a round mache that sits in a wrought iron stand..stand is usually about 36'' high. You can get the flowers to stand about 4&1/2' to 5' tall. anything in a regular mache (C100,C150 etc.) we call floor bsks.
Pricing varies..we start our standing bsks at 75. & easles (sprays) at 125.
Remember, our rents and overhead here are crazy!

It's demographics and semantics

The understanding of what constitutes a SPRAY or a FLORAL BASKET from one part of our country to the other, has always been IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER.

In our market and closer to the larger Cities, our customers expect a STANDING SPRAY to be mounted on no less than a 60" Easel, and more often than not, a 72" Easel.

Failing that, and in their attempts to fill those SMALLER and SHORTER requests for STANDING SPRAYS at less than $100.00 and mounting those on a 48" or 36" easel, some of the SKIMMER FILLERS wind up with a MAJOR COMPLAINT when the sender gets to the funeral home, compares what they got versus what everyone else sent, and BOOM!

It's the usual complaint beginning with: I SPENT A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY on UNCLE BILL'S Standing Spray and look what this florist sent. I'm so EMBARRASSED!

Of course, that sender never tells everyone else at Uncle Bill's funeral the fact that, they only spent $100 when everyone else was spending $200.

One of those anomalies of KNOWING WHAT YOUR LOCAL MARKET DEMANDS.

Was a time (1960s) when we could just send the SPRAY and the local funeral director would use a spray bar hook and hang them from the molding which ran around the ceiling.

They've stopped that practice long ago after their remodeling when they got tired of having to replace or repaint the moldings.

In some areas, the local funeral homes do provide their own stands for SPRAYS, WREATHS, HEARTS, and CROSSES.

However, that's not the case in our area and so, we mount everything on a 72" easel which now costs us $7.65 each.

As to the STANDING BASKET, areas like DA BRONX and NYC and the other three boroughs still allow for the florist to send along a stand with their floral baskets.

In our area, (Westchester County), some do but most prefer to use their own Grecian Style Pedestals or metal stands.

The problem which we were having ten years ago was when a customer requested a standing basket from us, and we delivered it that way to the funeral home.

Then, the funeral director chose to remove our stand, place the floral basket on the floor due to the volume of flowers, and we would wind up with a complaint from that customer who PAID FOR THE STAND but didn't get it.

The bigger joke was that, these same funeral homes would give our stands back to one of their pallbearers and he would go around and RESELL THEM to the florists.

Now, we advise all of our customers that, the funeral director will decide whether or not, their flowers will go up on his stand or be placed on the floor, and so, there is no need for them to PURCHASE one from us.

As to pricing? Well, for the most part, it takes $200 and up in our area for us to MEET and EXCEED our customer's expectation when it comes to a STANDING ANYTHING mounted on a 72" easel.

Our floral baskets start at $75 and go up from there in increments of $25.00.

Our Table Arrangements for the funeral home starts at $40 and goes up from there.

Our European Style Vase Arrangements start at $60, with higher price points of $75, $100, and $125.

When I started in the floral business as a YOUNG PUP of only sixteen, (1964) we were making SPRAYS in STYROFOAM using sticks and tubes, having just graduated from TWINE COVERED HAY FORMS. They all started at $25 and up and we never had to send along a stand.

For the FAMILY PIECES to include STANDING HEARTS, WREATHS, CROSSES, and PILLOWS, all of them started at $50 and most of them were designed for $75 and $100. A bleeding Heart of all Red Carns was $100 and Up and all Red Roses was $150 and up.

Floral Arrangements started at $5 as did corsages with most of them at $7.50, $10.00 and $15.00.

And a BRAND NEW CHEVY VAN cost $2,600.00 and gas was around twenty-five cents per gallon.

Back then, I was making BIG MONEY at $1.50 per hour for my PART TIME AFTER HIGH SCHOOL JOB.

During the week, my hours were from 3:00 PM until 8:00 PM, Saturdays went from 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM, and Sundays went from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM.

I worked 49 hours per week (part time) and my salary came to over $70.00, which I promptly handed over to my Mother to help her run the home because, in those days, that's just what you did as a kid living on the poorer west side in the City of Yonkers.

As I told my own kids when they were growing up, on occasion, I would then ask my Mother for money back to go to a movie, get snacks, and go out for pizza afterwards.

And, my Mother couldn't always afford to say YES!

Never had any regrets since I loved to work and didn't really have a lot of time to go out anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks all for the education. Now that I see it, we did have "standing" baskets here once upon a time. Haven't seen one in years. May have to try to redesign a few. We never make fan shapes unless they pick out a photo. It's just too overdone. We want our work and their gift to stand out among the rest. I just can't believe what ya'll are able to get for sympathy work. We start baskets at $50 ($75 average) and sprays at $75 ($125 average). People still think we're too high.

You have to remember that an average designer gets $15.00 an hr. in the Metro area..My rent is pushing $5,000 a mo.! Unfortunately your average prices are very much in line with the orders we receive! Our market is very competitive.

At a design show a couple of years ago, the presenter wired a wicker basket to an easel and created an arrangement right into that basket (containing a liner and wet foam). Wish I could remember all of the details. The basket was sitting upright, not on its side.

Status
Not open for further replies.