Teleflora's out-of-the-box website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so they won't throw me a bone and even let me setup a sub-domain (blog.floristdomain.com) to point to my server. :boggles:

Now I can see not allowing FTP access yada yada, but not letting you setup a sub-domain that YOU (the florist) owns, I'm speechless.

Anyone else have any ideas while I go back to the drawing board? I thought the whole sub-domain thing was a sure fire deal since *nothing* would involve their precious servers.

My options of setting up a blog under the primary domain are quickly getting shot down. I need kevlar.

:ar15

Anyone else have any ideas while I go back to the drawing board?
Yeah, tell the florist they really need to move to a consumer friendly and SEO friendly web hosting company.

A company that throws on click-to-call (so they can capture more of your money) but won't let your business integrate a simple and effective tool like a blog is looking out for their own interest, not the florist's.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, so they won't throw me a bone and even let me setup a sub-domain (blog.floristdomain.com) to point to my server. :boggles:

Now I can see not allowing FTP access yada yada, but not letting you setup a sub-domain that YOU (the florist) owns, I'm speechless.

Anyone else have any ideas while I go back to the drawing board? I thought the whole sub-domain thing was a sure fire deal since *nothing* would involve their precious servers.

My options of setting up a blog under the primary domain are quickly getting shot down. I need kevlar.

:ar15

Why do you need their permission? Don't you or your client control the domain registration? If so, set up a custom DNS. It'll be invisible to them.

Why do you need their permission? Don't you or your client control the domain registration? If so, set up a custom DNS. It'll be invisible to them.
Not for a TF site. They control the domain name, until you request a transfer to move to a different provider.

Ryan

Not for a TF site. They control the domain name, until you request a transfer to move to a different provider.

Ryan

Do you see a solution to this? (could he just request to have the domain transferred under his control?)

I mean ffs, they won't allow a blog on the site, they won't allow me to properly direct to a blog off-site...

I'm going to call TF in the morning tomorrow and argue a point until I'm blue in the face if I have to. There is absolutely ZERO reasons they shouldn't be able to setup a new sub-domain with the DNS except for the fact that they apparently don't want to do anything that is actually in the florists best interest. I'm all ears for a legit excuse but I doubt there is one to be found.

This really chaps my ass. (And I'm not even a florist! :wallhead:)

Do you see a solution to this? (could he just request to have the domain transferred under his control?)

I mean ffs, they won't allow a blog on the site, they won't allow me to properly direct to a blog off-site...

I'm going to call TF in the morning tomorrow and argue a point until I'm blue in the face if I have to. There is absolutely ZERO reasons they shouldn't be able to setup a new sub-domain with the DNS except for the fact that they apparently don't want to do anything that is actually in the florists best interest. I'm all ears for a legit excuse but I doubt there is one to be found.

Solution is simple - get off TF's hosting. Find one of the many indie florist site developers and work with them. Arguing with and working around TF are counterproductive.

Would you put up with this from any other vendor? Would you tolerate this from a fresh wholesaler or your hardgoods supplier?

Ryan

Not sure it helps...

My experience has been that TF controls the domain as well. TF has been really good about transferring out the domains to us for customers that drop them, but I don't know if they would release it to the customer and allow them to administer the domain for special cases like this.

It would seem that TF does allow some customization though. I ran across this site while installing flash for one of our reps today. I was surprised after the flash install to find that it was a TF site. The whois returns the customer as registrant, but TF as the tech contact - that is pretty standard for TF site customers. My real question is whether they did the flash integration themselves or allowed the customer or other third-party to do it.

It is surprising that they might have taken on customization of the template sites to use flash, but not a blog. Granted, this just looks like a splash page with none of TF's real product content, but it is customization just the same.

Either way, I doubt you'll get much more help from TF.

Ignorant question but...can folks add their own images and stuff?

If not, why would you even want one?

If they can, TF must not allow access to the front page or anyplace they could put up a linked image?
yes, you can add your own images but they make it so difficult on you to do so many don't. I have a TF website that I have had for a long time & I am getting my own built so that I can do some of the latest things, like blogs or links. You cannot do either on a TF website. Their answer is they do not offer that technology. My website has helped me some but no where I think it should be, probably because TF markets to my customers. This is "Big Business in America" definetely not "the land of the free!"

"I'm going to call TF in the morning tomorrow and argue a point until I'm blue in the face if I have to."

Don't waste your valuble time. TF has NO interest in helping the real florist get found on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.