Terminating wire services

zdave87

Pro Member
Aug 5, 2009
Orlando
State / Prov
Florida
Does anybody have a template regarding terminating membership in a wire service and transferring our domain name back to us? If you do, please email that to david @ carlyanes . com THANKS!! (No spaces in the email address)

Suggest that you get the domain name transferred back to you before the termination. If you use a TF site, 'phone them to ask them to e-mail you the form they require you to complete to transfer the domain name.

Once done, then inform them about the termination and follow their procedure...simplest in the long-run.

I highly recommend you get an independent website setup BEFORE you take back the domain name. You don't want to lose any ranking because your site went down for XXX amount of time.

FYI Ryan (that hosts this forum) has a great and inexpensive floral specific website package.

www.demoflowershop.com

Reactions: anytimeflowers
That's what we did. Transfered the name and went indepentdant on web first, then sent in notice for termination. One email and no problems on that part.

As for the termination part, call the WS and ask them when the deadline is to terminate your contract, where to send the letter and to whom. If you still get a paper WS book, you may find this information on an obscure page.

At least thirty to 45 days, send a CERTIFIED letter with your name, company name, address, phone, fax, and WS ID number and tell them you are terminating your contract effective ______________. Send a copy to your WS rep, his/her boss, customer service and anyone else you can think of. You can also send an e-mail and a message through the general messages. The certified letter is the most important but I prefer overkill when it comes to documentation.

DO NOT FILL ANY ORDERS on or after the deadline date no matter what. The day after the deadline, remove their software from your computer.

TF's deadline is March 1 to be out of the directory by July. If you are quitting TF then I would definitely send a certified letter for both directory and Dove. You can drop dove immediately (website too), but you still have to pay membership dues until you are out of directory.

For FTD, you just have to send a merc message to the right dept. The details are in your skinny directory that they send out every quarter. Don't waste the money on a certified letter. Just make sure to print and save the mercury message. You WILL need it when they didn't notice the message got the message

Jamie, I would have to respectfully disagree with you about FTD. When we had FTD, they told us the same thing. After we had sent 2 messages and received NO REPLY, we were then told that 1. we had missed the deadline 2. the instructions to terminate were on page 23 of their 1000 plus page book. I told them that we no longer received the book and why this information no listed in the membership guide nor on their mercury to which they had no answer.

It is definitely worth the couple of dollars to send out your termination letter certified. Remember it is your responsibility to prove that you followed protocol not theirs. FTD has sued people in the past for the money they felt they were owed because of improper termination. This is one of those times that it is so important to do your due diligence.

If it is 1800flowers, God help you! You will need to document, document, document and even after that, it will be many months before you can settle up with them. That was, at least, our experience with them. Others have been luckier.

its always easier if you end your relationship owing them money. and watch your statements and protest every little charge that pads the bill.