Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Carlson

Aug 26, 2004
Janesville
www.fairviewflorist.com
State / Prov
WI
:musical: The majority rules, I have removed the music from our website's Main Page [never was on any of the Occasion, Image pages.

Our jingle was professionally created and recorded in Chicago through our local radio station. The cost was $3,500 and it still plays on our phone "On Hold". We also use it on our radio commercials.

The artist who sang it has a voice that is exactly like the professional singer who recorded the commercial for Sears back when their theme was "The Softer Side of Sears."

We still get highly complimentary remarks.

The thing that puzzles me is that people are listening to music everywhere, home, in the shower, car, walking, biking, flying, in stores, in commercials. SO WHY DO THEY DISLIKE IT SO MUCH ON A WEBSITE'S MAIN PAGE?

Tom, I think the reason given that people use the web at work and music would alert supervisers to their misuse of work time is right. Judging from the number of internet orders I got during the day, and that the day phone given was a work phone.. this makes sense.

Also.. for myself, I prefer to pick my own music to listen to ..not necessarily what you want me to listen to.. I turn down commercials on tv also ..

Some ideas sound and look good... and just don't work!

Tom Carlson said:
The thing that puzzles me is that people are listening to music everywhere, home, in the shower, car, walking, biking, flying, in stores, in commercials. SO WHY DO THEY DISLIKE IT SO MUCH ON A WEBSITE'S MAIN PAGE?

I can only tell you why I dislike it. When I'm online, I'm already listening to my own music service. Your snappy little tune plays over and through that. I want the choice of what I'm listening to.

Tom Carlson said:
Our jingle was professionally created and recorded in Chicago through our local radio station. The cost was $3,500 and it still plays on our phone "On Hold". We also use it on our radio commercials.
We still get highly complimentary remarks.
Tom, I TOTALLY commend you on creating your jingle, and give you top-props for using it on your radio ad...its a super-effective way to getting people to notice your ad. WTG!

Radio is a auditory medium, so jingles naturally work well in that system. The web is a visual medium, so perhaps you should create a "walk-through" video clip that shows your shop and smiling employees so people can get a sense of whom they are dealing with while browsing your site.

And Cathy is right, just put a link or even a WMP bar with the song loaded, so your fantastic jingle is just a click away...

I know why. All the examples above, except for two, are because they got to choose their own music and probably like it. The other two, in a store and on TV are because in a store, it is non-evasive and quiet. In a commercial, it's not music really, it's apart of the script. Now if the sound matched and moved and flowed with the script of your page and it was animated, meaning moving, like a car commercial, then I think it would be accepted.

I never thought of it, but I liked Audra's reason and have to say I agree. Even though I like music that has been properly placed on a website. But when I say music, I'm talking about background music, not singing. BUT, as Audra pointed out, if I had my music going and a great website came on with GREAT music, I'd probably still be aggravated.

The best I can think of is your .wav file or whatever it is, is turned off by default. Let them choose to turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.