The Wire Service Container Conundrum

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
Every couple of months I design for an event company in my town (which I totally love, by the way) that also owns a retail shop that we work from (very smart business move as one business is busy when the other isn’t). Recently I was looking in a closet for some supplies and saw BOXES of wire service containers staring me in the face. “Wow” I thought to myself “why do they have all this flower shop product just sitting in this space, not making any money for them?”. So being the helpful soul I am (you know, the old shop owner stick’n his nose in!) I asked about the unused product. “Well” the owner revealed “those holidays are over, and we’ll just have to hold on to those flower vases till next year.” I held myself back from jumping out of my skin and politely explained that the only holiday containers that possibly couldn't be used are Christmas ones (unless you can), while the others can be used for various designs during the year such as birthdays, anniversaries, plant containers, etc. “Oh, I hadn't thought of that” was the confused response. The discussion went from there, and now those containers hold beautiful floral designs that make clients happy and help the shop’s bottom line get to where it should be.
001.jpg
Let’s face it: these containers are not cheap. They are higher end quality, and thus require a higher retail cost. But that doesn't exclude them from being used nor should we shy away from using them. We never know what a holiday will bring, so we purchase using last year’s totals and go from there. Some years you run out; some flower holidays leave us with extras. So we dig in and create various designs to get these off our shelves.
DSCF0482.jpg
If vases or containers are not sold after 3 months, you are losing money!
Vases and such should not hang around over 3 months. If it does, you’re definitely losing money. So let’s use our brains and fill these containers with a variety of flowers and goods to turn our profit quicker and keep those shelves rotated. Instead of purchasing planted gardens, use these containers and plant them yourselves. Red vases from Valentine’s Day? No problem! Use them for all those loving occasions that the romantic vibe asks for, especially if they have a “heart” theme. Mercury glass lying around? Perfect for wonderful permanent designs that have today’s look and quality. Even a trio of the smaller units can be designed with artificials to create a dining table unit. You can even attach these onto a small board with reindeer moss glued onto it, a few votive candles thrown in for a complete table design. Any of these containers can be used for a wedding or event as well. Even the tall glass containers can be used for plants…..used some stacked stones, then soil, then your plant(s). You’ll amaze yourself what you can come up with when those creative vibes enter your mind.
003.jpg
Don’t hide these containers in their shipping boxes, stored away to be forgotten for a year (or more!). Get them out, display them and make money from the product. You don’t need the wire service signage to show that they have only one use. Allow them to bring in dollars instead of being a thorn in your side. Once this new door is opened, you’ll feel sooo much better... and happy that you made the purchase in the first place. It’s time to turn problems into opportunities and allow yourself to feel good about the process. You totally deserve it and you work hard for those good feelings. Now go reap those floral benefits with a happy smile on your face!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 351
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 343
Good post, but you can refrain from purchasing wire service containers in the first place. Yes, we are FTD, but there are very few of their vases that we purchase. They are simply too expensive. I'll let other florists fill for ftd.com, etc. (We refuse all orders from ftd.com.) I'd rather make a profit at the end of the year.

I agree... when I was FTD I very rarely bought containers from them. Just too darn many of them and too darn expensive. Made clients order items that had more style and our designs.

We buy very few containers but that damn birthday celebration arrangement still sells really well for us. I was just looking at the TF statement and discovered that the price of that hideous container has gone up and I had not realized it. Been selling that arrangements on our website for $37.95 and repricing it I need to change that price to $44.95. That container with shipping for a 24 pack and a 2x mark up comes out to $16.50 each.

Reactions: theRKF
Yep, the best way to make money off of codified containers is to not buy them in the first place. Each service has some dandy containers (especially for Christmas), but try to fill those orders at the price listed and you'll end up in the poor house. Try to price the arrangements at their real value, and you are faced with tons of price shopper complaints.

I do agree that you have to be creative to move old inventory. I bought close to ZERO containers for the first three years of holidays after we bought this shop. The old owners had cases and cases of UNOPENED codified containers. Some of them were so old they were actually back in style :p

Reactions: bootcampguy
Sorry Jamie I disagree.
I have never used TF or FTD suggested prices unless it works out right for me. It is after all only a SUGGESTED price. I figure if I belong to a WS I might as well take advantage of a few of the really popular items that customers call around looking for....like the Thomas Kinkade. There are people who collect them and love them and if I don't carry it they WILL find it somewhere else and I could lose that customer for good. No since shooting myself in the foot. I am careful about which ones I buy and I price it to make the same profit as any other arrangement. Sometimes I may feel they are overpriced but I am not the one buying it, I am selling it.

Wire service container or not if you can't or don't price it for profit you might as well not buy it.

We buy very few containers but that damn birthday celebration arrangement still sells really well for us. I was just looking at the TF statement and discovered that the price of that hideous container has gone up and I had not realized it. Been selling that arrangements on our website for $37.95 and repricing it I need to change that price to $44.95. That container with shipping for a 24 pack and a 2x mark up comes out to $16.50 each.
When I read tis I thought that can not be right, so I went to myTeleflora and priced it out, it is $16 retail

Reactions: Knife's Wife
I'm trying to remember what we priced the FTD crap at.....I don't think it was the suggested price but we did profit off of them. Not much but we did. But I didn't buy a whole of containers from them when I was a member