Article Want To Sell More Valentine's Flowers? Get Cheeky.

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
Editor's note: This week's lead story comes from Joe Guggia, AIFD, of JP Designs.

That “rebooting” period following the holidays is a joke for anyone in our industry. No sooner do we take down the decorations than we hear at a pounding at the door.

Valentine’s Day!!!

No rest for the weary. It’s time to get back in the saddle. But to make the work a little more fun (and profitable), I offer you this advice: Make your marketing sexy.

A few years back, I wrote a tongue in cheek book titled “The Stud’s Guide For Buying Flowers."

The focus of my publication is on helping lovers, partners, husbands, wives, etc. to purchase the right flowers for the right occasion –and not so subtly reminding them about the rewards of doing so. With the subtitle “...Give Those Bouquets and Get Laid!” you can figure out the direction this book travels. Some loved it; some, well, didn’t quite understand that I wrote this book to help real flower shops get more customers.

The sexual benefits of buying flowers for rewards might seem a bit tacky ... but let’s face it, it’s a real motivator for many men. How many times does a guy come in your shop wanting to form a new relationship, knowing flowers will get him a foot through that door? It’s a natural fact of daily life: sex sells. A fact that we need to run with when marketing Valentine’s Day.

Before I published my book (and right before Valentine’s Day), Teleflora came out with a Super Bowl ad showing a beautiful lady putting on her hose with a bouquet close by. The reference was blatant: Give Teleflora Flowers and this lady can be yours! Lots of controversy over this ad, but I loved it. If Teleflora sees the value in investing big bucks in this type of marketing, why not try it in our own local shops? This ad gave the final “nudge” I needed to write my book.

I assure you, this marketing approach pays off. The younger generations will respond in a very positive way. You don’t have to be as obvious as the Teleflora ad or my book; you can subtly “suggest” the sexual aspect using these phrases:

“Give beautiful Valentine’s Day flowers and rewards will be yours!”

“Flowers and Romance: What better combination?”

“Love is in the air…..Now is your chance!”

“Give floral bouquets and RECEIVE you will.”

Daily ads refer to the value of love, sex, and relationships: wear this makeup, and you’ll be the sexiest one in the crowd…buy this car, and women will want you!... give your dog this brand of products, and he’ll be yours forever. So why not “Buy my flowers, and physical romance will be yours!”? It’s out there anyway, so let’s play on it, increase sales while guiding the direction of those sales. Take a chance and go for it!

Fellow designer (high end shop) told me the same last night: "It is OK to be cheesy on Valentines".
Bring out the big inflatable hearts and stick in on top of your shop :)

Reactions: bootcampguy