Article What High-end Wedding Planners Seek In A Florist

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
You may have heard of florists who repeatedly land bridal clients with budgets in the $10,000 to $60,000 range (roughly 7 to 40 percent higher than the industry average, according to The Wedding Report). Wondering how they do it, while you’re stuck trying to incorporate a few peonies (every bride’s wish!) in floral design with a $1,500 price tag?

Your way to five-figure bridal business is a wedding planner who specializes in high-end events. Get on the short list of one of these planners, and you can kiss the volume mentality of weddings goodbye.

This week, I spoke with Nicole Kaney, a Sarasota, Fla.-based planner who's highly sought by the Sunshine State’s elite, as well as New Yorkers and Californians. Her company, NK Productions, handles about 30 weddings a year, primarily at lavish venues, including Ca’ d’Zan (John and Mable Ringling’s Venetian-style mansion), the Ritz Carlton and The Gasparilla Inn. Her clients, whose privacy she protects, have included professional athletes and ESPN anchors. Their budgets: $40,000 to $300,000. On average, they devote about 20 percent of that to floral décor. “I definitely push that part of the wedding because I really love flowers,” Kaney said.

I asked her what she’s looking for when she suggests a florist for her very discerning clients. It may surprise you to hear she didn’t mention anything about AIFD accreditation, but rather basic examples of professionalism. Here’s what she said matters most to her:

· It’s very important to me that prospective vendors return my phone calls or emails in a timely manner. If I have difficulty reaching a florist, I’m not going to try him or her again.

· Organization is a big deal. I don’t want to be in a consultation that lasts three hours. When I sit down with a bride and a florist, I want it to be a productive meeting, one hour, tops. I appreciate florists who can take the background info I give them (budget, venue, color scheme, bride’s personality) and hit the ground running, offering suggestions of what they can do rather than asking a lot of basic questions or engaging in excessive chit chat. Long consultations overwhelm brides and waste my time.

· For research, I look at florists’ websites, Facebook pages and Instagram feeds. Instagram is huge! They should not have a dated website. There have been instances where I recommended a florist because I knew her work was great, but the bride passed because she didn’t like her website. The best sites don’t post photos shot in house, but rather show flowers in the event setting. That’s what sells the look to a bride.

· I want florists who can sell luxury. Their consultation areas are spacious and pretty, usually decorated with big photos of some of their best work. They make the meeting a fun experience and get the bride envisioning her day because they know how to give big picture descriptions.

· Having a warehouse full of props doesn’t make a difference to me. I know a lot of vendors and can source chairs, tables, linens, etc., myself. I’m not looking for a one-stop shop, necessarily, just a florist who does his or her job really well.

She is right on the money. We landed 5 weddings last year over 10K and all because of organization, proper business skills (returning phone calls) and the email chain which is very strong. They (WP) hate being hung out to dry by a poor planning florist. They want some type of drawing, detailed contracts and just that feel that we are as professional as them when it comes to organization.

Reactions: SLevi and KABERS
I get more referrals because I reply to emails promptly, return calls and mostly because I send a hand written thank you card to them. Those few little things are the best tools in your arsenal. Also because I'm just plain ass awesomer to work with!!!

Reactions: SLevi and KABERS