Status
Not open for further replies.

ctherose

Oct 13, 2006
Milford
www.specialoccasionsflowershop.com
State / Prov
NE
I had a blog started but when my website was tampered with and I had to fix it, I lost it. It was through wordpress. I'm so web-illiterate--do any of you have a fool-proof blog host that allows some customization, etc?

"THE BEST TOOL TO START A BLOG?"

I'm guessing a computer :hammer:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
LOL

I wonder if any of the SEOs out there have an opinion on the URL of your blog. Blog sites are free for a reason. (you promote their blog site by including their site in the URL)

IMO

Having a sub-domain of a blog provider:
Eg. florist.wordpress.com

vs.

Having your own sub-domain or separate blog page:

blog.florist.com
florist.com/blog

You promote your own site, and it's really not very expensive and you can find a provider fairly easily.

This is all more of a question for discussion than a statement.

More than just the URL, those blog sites are free until Google can think of a way to monetize them. Google owns Blogger, and one day they'll have adwords on blogs (just like search and gmail). Google also owns Feedburner, which is an RSS republishing tool for blog owners, and they are working with the blog owners to put ads in the RSS feeds, too.

IMO, the best way to have a blog is to host it yourself. If you don't want the technical hassle, check out floristblogs.com. It's a site I started, and we have about 20 bloggers on there. It's exclusively for real florists, with no ads (so everyone kicks in $60/year to cover costs). PM me if you want more details.

I agree - absolutely the best thing to keep the fresh content on your domain. That's why Florist 2.0 sites come with a blog.

Second best option is a trusted platform like floristblogs.com or flowerchat.com. At least that way when you are contributing to the overall domain strength of the host you know it's not also supporting a tonne of splogs.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.