When a shop had a "look", and does not do "traditional/old fashioned"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never ever said that I wouldn't do that design...I do it all the time..

Just saying that in the 70's and 80's I think people got very tired of that style and equated it with carns and poms...It definately has its place in society still...

I also think Martha had a big role in people not wanting carns, even though she likes them and features them in her mags all the time. People just did not know how to ask for the premium flowers without saying no carns no poms...

It is just like asking at a seafood restaurant light on the bread crumbs in a seafood pie...less fluff more stuff...

I think you have a traditonal look with a unique twist.
And I think you are probably very sucessful.

Your right. Well if I where to look at the amount of orders that we did for FTD and 800flowers and look at the types of arrangements that we did. I will bet that most people that recived our arrangements perhaps regarded them as being normal. Even thought our flowers are fresh we never saw an increase in sales from those orders.

So now lets look at the types of arrangements that we do now. Nothing to over unique but there is a certain style to them. Our customer base has continued to grow stating right when we stoped filling the orders and sold our own arrangements.

2008 marks our biggest increase in over all sales and even though we did around 450,000 in sales back in 2004 with the incoming orders are total sales have gone way past that mark.

This year I predict that even with the slowing economy we will come very close to breaking the $1 million mark.

Did I mention January 23 we will have completed our 6th year of owning the business?

I am loving this thread.

My take on why people hate carnations.

For the most part, the really great designers in the world find ways to use carnations that are incredible and don't hate them. But, many mediocre florists think they know it all and started telling their customers that they are too good to use carnations and related it to funerals and grocery stores. I think we florist did it to ourselves.

When I do floral demonstrations for groups, I always do some things with carnations and ask how many in the group hate carnations. Many hands go up and then I ask them to examine my work to see if they still hate carnations. The tone completely changes when they see them used in a beautiful way.

Sure, I love the high end unique flowers a lot, but, I love to mix carnations with them because it brings out textures and colors that enhance the expensive flowers. I call them dianthus instead of carnations so the carnations snobs won't notice.

I have asked many people why they hate carnations and nearly all of them say that their florist told them they didn't use them because they are so ordinary....and they all believe that florist. We really did a great job educating our customers to avoid buying them.

Carol Bice

Carol - you hit the mark.

Carnations are UNDER-utilized - with CREATIVITY.
You can do so much with them, and their downfall is their use in one style of design, that is over used.

Case in point - the Moonseries carnations. When we use them in our designs, they are creatively used - sometimes in mass groupings, other times as a single flower, tastefully inserted in the design. Many people don't even KNOW they are Carnations! Another great color is Apple green...put the two together and SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

Also, DO use the term Dianthus when referring to Carnations...people LOVE the botanical names, and don't even realize they are Carnations...

- Herb

Reactions: Carol Bice
2008 marks our biggest increase in over all sales and even though we did around 450,000 in sales back in 2004 with the incoming orders are total sales have gone way past that mark.

This year I predict that even with the slowing economy we will come very close to breaking the $1 million mark.

Did I mention January 23 we will have completed our 6th year of owning the business?

Totally agree here - and congrats on nearing the 1 mil milestone! Quite a feeling, from experience...

We were well over the 1 mil mark back in the lat 90's, early 2000's, with two stores, and being one of 4 shops in the City doing orders for 800. Lasted until Dec 31, 2005.

In the span of just 1 1/2 years later, we dropped 800, and closed the 2nd store. Result was back down to the mid $600 k's.

This year, 1 1/2 years later, we are currently well over $750k, and a 1.40 % increase in 2008 vs. 2007. But, the economy hit us hard 2nd half of 2008, for we were 16% ahead at the end of June. (Wire In biz still on the decline, but OK with that.) I can only dream what COULD have been, if the economy hadn't tanked...18, 20% ahead???

Anyway...
Establishing your "look" goes A LONG way - and I believe retains customers. BUT, look is not everything. You must have QUALITY in the mix too. That should go without saying, and sometimes hand in hand with "look."

Service is the last piece of the puzzle. Give all three to ANY customer that walks in your store, and you're on your way...no matter the $ amount of the sale. Remember, sometimes it's the little things that lead to the BIG things...

- Herb

Reactions: jamese
Status
Not open for further replies.