Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Will the BIG BUNNY Be Visiting You?

With Valentine’s Day now behind you, is Easter on your radar? This year, the holiday falls on March 31[SUP]st[/SUP]. Over the last few years, sales have been a little on the increase, at least according to a quick, informal review of comments from the last couple of years’ of FlowerChat forum discussions. Admittedly, though, the majority of florists lamented how few sales they have nowadays compared to years ago when Easter corsages, Easter baskets and Easter lilies were commonplace orders.

Many florists admitted to not having promoted the holiday much, which encouraged others to point out that you can’t sell what you don’t market. So with that attitude in mind, for those interested in getting a bump in business before Mother’s Day (this year on May 12), we scoured the forums for some ideas.

Here are a few suggestions to consider implementing, then:

• Send out an e-mail offer. Several years back, one FlowerChat member asked for advice on wording for a special offer she wanted to send out. After some discussion and suggestions, the florists had created the perfect message for her. Take advantage of your fellow florists’ creativity and use the following as the basis for your own promotion:
Whether you will be near or far from your family this Easter, [NAME OF YOUR SHOP] has the perfect gift to send. We will be delivering every day, including Easter Sunday for that egg-stra special touch. We have a large variety of chocolates, floral designs and plants to suit all tastes. Check out our featured special, “Eggstravaganza,” a delicious assortment of chocolate eggs arranged in a pleasing, edible centerpiece.
And just to make your purchase a bit sweeter, take advantage of our special e-mail only offer! Use code “Easter” to receive your $10 off coupon for you order of $40 or more when you place your order online between [DATE] and [DATE].
Happy Easter!

• Create a “cute” design. Per your fellow florists, cute sells. So when one florist was looking for input on a bunny design she was thinking of selling, she posted a pic and asked for advice. One florist suggested changing the black chenille stem being used to outline the ears to white. Then another added a suggestion to make the nose more defined:
Try doing two carnations side by side for the nose part; that will help with the shape of the face. Lori's right about the white chenille… How about adding some sheer ribbon? Maybe around the “neck,” but off to the side? I find “eyelashes” will add to the cuteness factor.

That led to another FlowerChatter jumping in with even more suggestions:

You can accomplish most spring/Easter looks with just three colors of flowers: pinks, yellows and lavenders. White chenille to edge the ears would be a better choice. Alternatively, a narrow edge of white ribbon would accomplish much the same effect. Just cut out two ear shapes—one in the color ribbon and one in the white. Then cut out the center of the white leaving about a 1/4 inch width around the edge. I would also choose a lighter, more airy type of foliage, rather than leather fern. I would recommend perhaps using pittosporum to cover your foam with some wisps of plumosus to add a lightness to the design. I would also minimize the use of foliage as much as possible to let your flowers really stand out. Also, to really give it an “Easter feel,” try creating the design in a colorful Easter -type wicker basket with maybe a layer of the Easter shred/grass and a few chocolates or candies and maybe even a chocolate bunny.

The tips didn’t end there, though. Next, a Victoria, British Columbia, florist posted a pic of a design she had used the previous year as inspiration. Soon after, the original florist uploaded her new design (she wasn’t able to simply revise the original; a customer had seen that version and insisted on buying it!) and posted that pic for additional input. What was the price point? $45 (just in case you were wondering).

By the way, did you cringe when you saw that suggestion for creating a bunny design? You’ll love this discussion in the Forums, then, on “Tell the Truth… Does ‘Cornball’ Sell?” (The answer was a nearly unanimous yes, with lots of examples and even a link to a Google page where you can see a map of florists all over the U.S. and Canada that specialize in puppy designs! Several other florists offered up examples of the kitties they had created—one calling them an “untapped” market. Many of the florists admitted to hating the novelty arrangements—but loving the popularity of them and their accompanying sales.)

• Don’t give up hope! Last year, a new FlowerChatter asked how Easter sales compared to Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day. (She had been a wedding florist since the ‘80s and was out of touch with current holiday sales trends.) The last bit of advice she got was worth passing along:
Our Easter week is about 2.5x a normal week. Not too big. Traditionally for us, Val. Day is the big fresh flower holiday, Easter is a big blooming plant holiday, and Mother's Day is an even mix. We do sell a fair amount of Easter lilies, but do not take a huge mark-up on them. We also sell a lot of cash-and-carry bouquets compared to arrangements. The floral designs we do sell are on the low end (much like Thanksgiving). We sell the inexpensive cymbid corsages and make up a few custom corsages. Be open-minded and try to find out what your customers want. Don't be hung up on “what it used to be” or “what we used to sell.” People are still buying flowers; we have just found they want a lower price point, and so we that's what we give them. Also, most of our sales are very last minute. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

So what’s the story with your shop? Have you had good luck with Easter sales? Is it a holiday you regularly promote? Share your tips by sending a note to [email protected] so we can offer up your suggestions to your fellow florists!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny - Front.jpgEaster Bunny - Back copy.jpg

The newest "cornball" in my collection. What do you think?

P.S. - I don't seem to have the option to tag this post, I guess that's just for the thread starter? I put the keywords in the post though.