Wilted roses

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorinajac

Jul 17, 2007
Toronto
State / Prov
ontario
I was working on some bouquets yesterday for my portfolio and the roses I was working with started wilting a bit. they were light pink roses.

I read somewhere that the oils on your hands turn certain flowers brown.

Is this true?

curious here,

Have you ever worked in the florist industry?

Some roses will show bruising without careful handling, however, they tend to be varieties of lighter color.

Do you mean flower preservative or "plant food" as in fertilizer?

Could be that you just got a bad batch of flowers? I haven't had problems, generally, with normal processing of roses, even white or bridal white (stripping thorns, wiring, inserting into bouquets). I've heard some people say that they've had problems with stephanotis, and thankfully, I've handled those through processing/bouquet making and have not had that issue either. However, I did one time special order some calla lilies that didn't make it overnight....had to use something else....thankfully the bride was very understanding (and a friend, as well).

I would guess it's either an older rose, a sick rose, or a rose that was frozen at some point....
I've processed thousands of roses from various wholesalers and very rarely have I had wilting problems. If I get roses from a gorcery store (as a gift - yes people have gottem ME flowers!), then I see a lot of wilting.

I know that the variety of rose called "Anna" has a head that is heavy and not fully supported by the neck. I find it tends to bend a little and if I use it in wedding work I always wire it.

Do you know which variety it was?
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.