Window Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2007
Springfield
www.bergeronsflowers.com
State / Prov
VA
I am changing my front window and found an old (not old enough, though) panel...it is a slat panel that was painted white on one side and dusty pink (yuck!) on the other. I've used it within the showroom completely covered on numerous occasions, but I am thinking of "aging" it and hanging it in the front window to put wreaths and such on.

My question? Well, does anyone have some great ways to age this piece? Obviously, it would be better if I had an old, old door, but I'm trying to use things I already have here in the shop and make them "new".

Any suggestions, people?

I am changing my front window and found an old (not old enough, though) panel...it is a slat panel that was painted white on one side and dusty pink (yuck!) on the other. I've used it within the showroom completely covered on numerous occasions, but I am thinking of "aging" it and hanging it in the front window to put wreaths and such on.

My question? Well, does anyone have some great ways to age this piece? Obviously, it would be better if I had an old, old door, but I'm trying to use things I already have here in the shop and make them "new".

Any suggestions, people?

Christi, is it a paintable piece or lamanate???

If it is made out of wood you can use some chains or a hammer and beat it to give it lots of dents and dings (great to work out frustrations!!) Then you can use some stain, put lots on then wipe most of it off right away. The stain will stay in the dings but become very light in the other areas giving it an aged look.
You could also use the crackle method. You put a coat of paint (this will show through the crackle) then a top coat of another color. Put on the crackle mixture (you can buy at any hardware store) follow directions. The mixture will crackle the top layer of paint allowing the bottom layer to show through.

Hope this helped, good luck with your project and be sure to post pics of the final product.

Reactions: 1 person
bang it up with chains and hammer like was said even carve into it(saw this on HGTV) then paint it a nice muted hue and take some fine grit sand paper to it....nicely aged to perfection...

I like beating it with chains......This gives me a great idea.....You know thos whiny, gripy, customers that we all have, the ones that are excessively demanding, we can never satisfy them, the ones that are more trouble than they are worth.....Each hit of the chain is for one of them.

I'm thinking that I remember something also about painting a darker base color, then rubbing it in areas with parrafin wax (the kind that comes in a block, for canning) then painting another color over the top. The paint will not stick to the higher areas where the wax stayed. This will give you that "timeworn" look, like the paint wore off where it was touched a lot, like around a drawer handle....

The chains, hammer & beating also works really well. You just have to be careful not to get it too uniform.

I would check out the HGTV and DIY television websites and search for distressing techniques.

Sounds like a fun project!

The internet is also full of ideas on how to "age" things and add faux effects with paint, another one of my hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.