Wire Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock

Oct 31, 2002
Somewhere
State / Prov
Edge of the World
What do you use to cut heavy wire stems on silks and artificial Christmas pine etc? We've tried many different wire cutters but NONE have kept an edge very long and ALL are difficult for my wife and her staff to use? Any suggestions???

Back when I was a crafty kid my dad afixed a bolt cutter like gadget to the bench for me. I only had to move one arm of it like a paper cutter.

For what it is worth....

Barbei
:jester

Hey Barbei....

that's what I was gonna say!!
Hugh, the likely best solution for everyone is the bolt cutter idea, whether "fixed" or portable.
Some bolt cutters are a little larger than others, and have a "shortened" handle mechanism, allowing almost anything to be severed....it's good if you have weaker wrists or arthritis in your hands/fingers, or just plain want an easier way!
Mike

We've got this old bolt-cutter-like device that stands about 4' high with a singe arm. Put the stem or wire in the clip and bring the arm down. Even our smallest designer can do it, np.

Ryan

It's funny...

my mom and I were trying to cut the heavy stem on the FTD pine cones one day. This was a problem year after year and it's killer on the hands. My husband who had just started working here at the time saw us. He went down the basement and got a pair of his wire cutter's off the wall in his workshop and showed us what is it like to cut with new wire cutter's. It was actually easy. What a major surprise to us women who would never have thought that using a new pair would make any difference. Ours seemed fine, but obviously they weren't.

I know the items you are referring to are thicker and regular new wire cutter's are just not going to cut it (hehe no pun intended), but other's that read this will be able to learn if they are having trouble cutting those darned pine cones. Same thing with many silk flower stems.

Patty:porttopor cruising along...

I brought my wife to the hardware store and told HER to pick out a pair of bolt cutters; she opted for the 12-14" handles instead of the longer ones since she found the longer ones too heavy. I'll let you know whether the girls find them comfortable to use repeatedly or not; I was hoping to find something I could bolt to the counter so it would be an easy one hand push down motion. Thanks for the ideas.........rock on

Status
Not open for further replies.