Aug 5, 2008
South Hadley
www.careysflowers.com
State / Prov
MA
So I might be oversharing.....

BUT Today I believe I am Superwoman!!!!

I bet you all think you are so tough because you made it through VD lol

Well! I made it through VD and an audit!!!!!!!!

Yep, you read it right! The week of VD I trudged through an audit 2005-2008. They just left 10 minutes ago.

Anyway here is the helpful part to all of you - I hope.

They went insane over ANY item that had Zero's at the end (I noticed and so did my accountant) anything paid out by us for $10.00 - $15,000.00
So keep your records and ask people to ad .20 to the end of bills that come out to a number with no change. Just kidding about adding the change but honestly if everything had change at the end I think they would have left on day one.

I have no voice, I am sleep deprived beyond belief, I am grateful to G-d, and I am SOoooooooo happy.

Signed, Fantastic Super Wonderful Woman I am so cool! :cool::>

Ps - If you c me at CFA don't tell my Dad I shared ! ! !

You're AWESOME DEE DEE!!! Now go get yourself something nice just for you-CELEBRATE!!

Reactions: Dee Dee
OMG Dee Dee!!!! I got major anxiety just reading your post!!!!!!!! You need a huge cocktail, a massage and a raise! :grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel::grovel:

If you don't mind, please expound on the even change thing. Why do they freak out about it? Do they think the numbers are fabricated if they are even? Just curious. Plus, I figure, if I am prepared for an audit, then just maybe I'll never have one?!?!?!?

KNOCK ON WOOD 3 times, TOSS A PINCH OF SALT. I have been lucky so far. You know what scares me is not so much IRS but I have to collect sales tax in VA, DC, MD, NY and CT. Even if make a sale in CT to a CT client and the event is in DC, DC gets the tax, and I've retired the corporate side of our business, so our sales have been cut in half. It's just a matter of time...

............ I have to collect sales tax in VA, DC, MD, NY and CT. Even if make a sale in CT to a CT client and the event is in DC, DC gets the tax.................

And to think that we Canadians complain about the HST!

Dee Dee, you deserve the Super Woman title!!

As a business, I've only been audited once, and it was a payroll audit. My accountant gave me some great tips. The thing that helped me the most was all of those records from the POS.

Congratulations, Dee Dee ... not only for successfully getting through the audit during VD, but for coming through it with your humour intact! Kudos!

Conquering the Beast!

Nice work!

A very sharp man recently told me the gov't is looking very very closely at small biz taxes - the big guys can afford to have dedicated bookkeeping, and so mistakes are more likely in smaller biz's. Watch your p's & q's. He also said to NEVER EVER file for an extension - the IRS has all the time in the world to go over your returns with a fine tooth comb, in August ;)

Terrific that you could get it all done - sounds like the outcome was a good one!

So sorry for not answering yesterday Amy, I just melted down yesterday. I was so happy it was over and came out fine. I went home (left early)and went to bed.

It is very nerve racking even if you are sure you have done nothing wrong. You start to think crazy thoughts like - maybe they made up a new law I didn't even know about and we messed up!

Anywhooo - Our accountant said they are really going after the small business.

Advice - I can tell you what we did....for what it's worth.

As soon as we were notified of the audit I filled out the paperwork they asked for (That day) and mailed it back (overnight) I wanted them to know we were more than happy to cooperate.

Even though it was VD we did not ask for it to be moved, we didn't even mention the holiday.

We offered for them to go to our accountants office, this is apparantly the best way to have an audit (off site) They said "thank you we will go to both places" 'groan'

We dedicated one person (me) to answer all requests, questions, once they were here. I did the leg work of running to find someone else if I didn't know an answer. I just kept telling the auditor "no problem I will get that" :grovel:

Just think what it would be like for you to NEVER leave an office during VD, I was afraid the staff was going to kill me ( they were very nice about it)

As for the audit part: Keep everything important (bills, invoices, estimates, paper trail stuff) They asked to see things I didn't quite expect, like a business card to go with an invoice that was hand written by a small vendor. (I had it!)

FUNNY PART - The auditor asked to see pay records for one employee as she couldn't find him on our payroll yet we cut him checks. His name....John Henry
I had to provide our invoices from JH to prove it was a company and all was fine with the world.

The zero thing - My accountant said yes, they are looking for falsified records.

We use a payroll company which seemed to make the auditor very happy. My accountant later said payroll companies keep 'us' in the clear and the auditor was happy because it shaved time off of her job.

They asked alot about seasonal help, drivers in particular. I told the truth we ask (force) family members to drive for us and we ask (force) them to donate thier time. We got a $100.00 fine for this my accountant said "Thats because they never leave empty handed" But they didn't tell us not to do it again and my accountant said she got no straight answer about it either. Go figure?

We keep everthing very above board here. We were all taught (in the womb I think) never screw with the gov't.

I can't think of anything else right now. My brain may very well be broken or at least sprained. But I will answer any questions people have you can PM me.

If I left stuff out you want to know just ask. I know I was very frightened before this happened so perhaps I could ease someones mind a little.

BTW - All the people of the male persuasion that work with me kept saying "It's nothing to worry about" Two left yesterday (after it was over) with migraine headaches, and one called in today saying his blood pressure was so high he thought he should see a doctor. But women are weak. Yeah right! lol

Reactions: twiggy and aileen_c
Status
Not open for further replies.