Article You Make Your Flower Shop Special

Joe Guggia AIFD

Sep 6, 2010
Santa Maria, California
www.joeguggia.com
State / Prov
California
It took me some years to really “get” that I was the true force behind my flower shop’s success. Wait, let me clarify: I knew my work was important (someone has to make the designs, after all), but as the years went by, I realized my style was the reason many chose our retail venue to send flowers to their friends and loved ones. I do mean this revelation in the most humble way, which is why it took me time to own it and work it to my financial favor. I am sometimes a slow student, but I do (finally) get things. Now I know that recognizing positive attributes is a necessary element of our floral journey.

Focusing on what we do well is where our shop’s “branding” comes into play. Defining our individual presence in the marketplace is vital, but not always easy to do. First, ask yourself, “Am I really good enough to put myself out there?” and “Do I have the skills to set myself apart from the others?” If the answer is “no,” maybe the floral industry isn’t for you. If “yes” comes right out, then you are on the right track.

Branding – giving your business a personality – is so key in today’s marketplace. People love to embrace professionals who seem like someone you’d like to have as your best friend. That’s how you get those friends/customers in your clutches, when they want to relate to you and your talent. Don’t we want that with all the personalities we see everywhere? I know I dig the Property Brothers on HGTV and would love to be their friend and co-conspirator. These are two guys who have marketed themselves exponentially in many phases of the decor and real estate world. Another example is national decorator Nate Berkus, who got a great boost from Oprah. Now he has his own accessory line available at Target Stores. (I sent a permanent design to Nate and team to see if I might be a part of their journey because I love his directive goals.) And, speaking of Oprah and branding…need I say more? Her name is all we need to hear to know something will be fabulous.

nate-berkus.jpg
property-bros.jpg

Determining what you want your shop/personal brand to be can be daunting. My advice: Decide what your style is, then take it from there. Look for a logo and a phrase that describes you and what you want your image to be. Checking out what all the big guys do (Walmart, Target, McDonald’s, the list goes on) gives you a quality guide. They’ve done all the research, so take clues from them. Possible brands run the gamut from sophistication to cute and cuddly. With flower shops, it all works. Your market can guide you in the right direction.

I finally decided after many years that my brand is my name, so my new website address is simply joeguggia.com. It’s a simple way for people to find me and see what I’m up to. (This is a trend for many individuals in various industries, such as Nate Berkus.) That’s the direction I decided to go in, and (I think) it’s the right goal for this time in my career.

Making the commitment to a shop identity and following through with your logo and other branding techniques will reap you great rewards now and in your professional future. It does take time (like everything in this flower biz!) but is well worth the time and effort. Standing out in the crowd steers you to success and a good quality of life. People gravitate toward success and will want to be right by your side as you create beautiful floral designs for them, happy to give you the dollars your brand and quality of work deserves.

About the author
In a floral world that can sometimes be scary and tiresome, Joe Guggia AIFD, works to reinvent himself and keep his floral passion alive. With beginnings as a laborer at Sandyland Nursery (Carpinteria, Calif.), he progressed to assistant grower and helped launch the first nursery contract with a supermarket chain. Later, Joe moved on to take ownership of Camfeldt’s Flowers and Gifts (Santa Maria, Calif.) from 1980 to 2011.

Today, Joe continues to gather knowledge in all phases of the floral industry. He admits that putting himself “out there” to keep the dollars flowing has been a challenge and isn’t always easy. But sticking to it and realizing that “We’re only as good as our last design” has brought him to a place of industry sharing, both of his experiences and those of others.

Joe’s expertise includes staging, indoor/outdoor decor consulting, custom permanent designs, plant installations, landscaping, custom sympathy and everyday shop designs. He is a mentor to the student chapter of AIFD Cal Poly and promotes the motto of “Educate, motivate and create.” He also will begin his floral design school “Joe Guggia Floral Sharing” in the near future. For information, e-mail Joe at [email protected] and view his website at www.joeguggia.com for more class details and see what’s going on in Joe’s floral world.

Reactions: SLevi and Amy Smith