Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerknife+us

Dec 7, 2002
Syracuse, N.Y.
www.colemanflorist.com
State / Prov
N.Y.
This past weekend I did the most expensive brides bouquet I have ever done. Just curious as to what others have done as their most expensive!?

This particular bouquet was 55 white mini callas and sold for $425.00

Knife's Wife

OMG $450!!! Sweeeeeeet!! Good job :)

I think ours was $175.

Hey out of curiosity, how much did you spend on the 55 white callas wholesale?

We paid 2.25 each but when I priced out the bouquet they were running 2.75 hence the $425.00 price.

I was really nervous that the brides parents would not be happy with the bouquet due to the price they paid but they called this morning to elaborate on how happy they were with everything.

I will hopefully have a pic on the site soon!

Hope you can share the pictures. Sounds great.

One trick for selling prestigious priced bouquets is to use the word 'only' before stating the price. As in:

"You have exquisite taste. That memorable, custom-designed bouquet is only $800." Then let the customer decide if they find the value acceptable. If not, they'll let you know.

First rule of selling - believe your product is well worth the price you need to charge. If you don't believe any bouquet is worth $400-800-1000-1500 then you'll never sell one.

Many from Martha's magazines price out above $600, especially when the flowers are out of season. With the cost of Lily of the Valley, Eucharis lilies, Austrian crystals and other cool add-ons, a small bouquet can easily hit that prestige range.

Most florists won't likely sell tons, but they surely will sell zero if unprepared. Mrs. Knife, glad you were ready!

If memory serves me correctly, our most expensive one was also mini callas. It sold for $300.

Good hints, Cathy!

Haven't done it yet...

But, I am doing a wedding this fall and the bride has ordered the "Jessica Simpson" bouquet. She wants it EXACTLY like hers. Over 300 stephanotis. You know how much of a pain that is going to be. It will be a 3-400 dollar bouquet. Hopefully she doesn't change her mind!

-Heather

We get our Callas for .60-.80cents cents each, so I would feel awful charging $300 of a bouquet. Where I lived, if i were to say your bouquet is $300, most get up and leave. :)

CHR said:
First rule of selling - believe your product is well worth the price you need to charge. If you don't believe any bouquet is worth $400-800-1000-1500 then you'll never sell one.

I'm sure many shops that read this forum have employees that sell that have nothing at all to do with pricing and you are right, if the person selling the "item" is not convinced of the value they will not be able to sell it. Sometimes it's not so much disbelief as it is just not understanding pricing.

My husband who works here oftentimes thinks I am overpricing something because he tends to look at it from the customers point of view and they don't understand either. We have to price things according to our own needs and still try to stay within industry standards which are quite wide these days. So what I am trying to say is that employers need to correctly train their workers that have anything to do with selling so that they do indeed BELIEVE that what they are selling is worth it.

My mom who was born in 1923 cringes at having to tell people flower prices. You can tell she is expecting negative reactions. Remember she comes from an era where $25.00 gave you a "very nice" funeral arrangement. Fortunately she is flexible and has come a long way.

Our most expensive bride's bouquet was $250.00. She was an acquaintance of mine and she used to work in a flower shop and really knew the value of flowers. She said she planned on spending a lot of money on her flowers. I was very happy when she chose us. Plus I was invited to the wedding, that was a bonus, did not expect to get invited since we were not close friends.

I have noticed that employees tend to sell the price range that they can identify with and assume that the customer would not spend more than they would.

There are some very good tips from Cathy R. on selling these items. Be careful about who you put out there to sell weddings. The average designer usually doesn't upsell.

Carol Bice

Reactions: 1 person
Heather, I have a question, how much do you charge for each stephanotis? How much do they cost you? I know if I had to do that bouquet I would have to charge $600.00-$800.00 for just the stepanotis. I think I would ask 150.00 just for labor in that one. I have heard that Jessica's bouquet was over $1500.00 dollars.

What is everyone else paying for stepanotis?

Thanks, Knife's Wife

I sat with many brides last year and before and had many who I never heard from again. I decided to try a different appoach this year.

What I do now and this year I only had one bride not book is...

I ask them to tell me what they would truely would like to have, not what they think they can afford and I explain to them that they may be very suprised with what they can afford. I go through each desire, starting, of course with what the bride would like for herself. I make suggestions when necessary. When I am done I tell them that I will work on the pricing over the next few days to get the best pricing for them. (I used to do it while they waited) I tell them that when they get their itemized prices that they review it and if it is out of their price range to please let me know so that we can deduct or reduce where necessary to fit their budget. I also tell them that due to the fact that I need to schedule drivers, vehicles, and design time to devote solely to their wedding that I need a deposit within two weeks of the consultation. (No matter how far in advance they are in my store) I Use to tell them that no deposit is necessary that we just require payment 2 weeks in advance.

I think that asking them to wait a few days for the prices tells them that ..They are important. Asking them to get a $50.00 deposit to us within two weeks of consultation lets them know that we are professionals, our time is valuable, and that we are serious about what we do and the brides we work for.

I should add that most brides think they are the most important aspect of their wedding and besides the groom being equally important, I think they are too. So, if they should need to cut anything back I have found that it is so far never been their "dream" bouquet that they cut out. Since going to this approach I have not done a brides bouquet under $150.00 yet this year. The majority have been $175.00-275.00. This weekend I have a wedding that the total is only $690.00 but the brides bouquet is $175.00.

Make sure that you are pricing your brides bouquet to be profitable, everything else will seem reasonable there after. It has worked well for me. 1st time in years that we have had weddings every weekend June, July August, Sept, and Oct. & 2 large ones booked in Nov. already.

Knife's Wife

The "Jessica Simpson Bouquet" would price out at anywhere from $1500 to $2000. That bouquet is an all day endeavor for one designer,
maybe even 2. Think of all the labor involved. We pay $20-25 for a box of steph and the labor on that bouquet should be at least 30%. So, out of our shop, $450 for labor, $900 for 300 steph + hardgoods. If you sell that bouquet for anything less than a grand, I think you'll lose money on it. How could you sell it for $300-$400? Just curious. Felicity, let us know how that pans out for you.

Our bouquets start at $250-$350. They are specialized and tailored to each bride (flower selection and accents) If you are doing the solid, clustered look with no greenery and the finest blooms, this is what we feel it takes to make the right statement. Our brides realize that they are getting a custom service with lots of attention to detail. There are a few brides that don't understand why this costs so much, but after explaining to them the importance the bridal bouquet has, and that it is the first floral item to consider, most feel reassured that it will be nothingless than a perfect reflection of their unique personality and don't bat an eye. Plus, for that price, they are assured to have the bouqet of their dreams. They can cut back here and there on other things, but we discourage them from doing it with their bouquet.

The most expensive bouquet was probably around $550-600. This would have been full of things like steph and gardenias and lily of the valley, delicate smilax, jewels/rhinestones, beautiful ribbon treatment...

I couldn't agree more with Cathy. You have to believe in the value of your product ( not what the client thinks it's worth ). I really really wish that designers/owners would start thinking of their work as a fine art instead of just a craft or trade. If we don't empower ourselves, no one will and the big corporations that could care less about making unique statements will roll right over us and leave us in the dust, cashing in on their multi-million dollar franchises. Anyone want to start a revolution? Fine Art Florists Unite?

Do you really think Jessica paid only $400 for that bouquet? I'm sorry, I just can't get over it. I don't think so. And I can tell you, being that she was married in Austin, that no local shop did that wedding. She undoubtedly hired a 5 star team catering to Hollywood Hotties to come a create her fantasy wedding. Believe me, they got paid!

It seems as though I've gone on a bit of a rant. Forgive me and please know that I wish only good fortune to all of you talented, worthy, creative and wonderful designers that bring so much joy into peoples lives yet spending half your time trying to justify it to your clients. You all deserve a pat on the back.

By the way, all of these celebrity and reality weddings are not a bad thing by any means. The general public sees it and wants it, they gotta have it, bling bling. If her heart is set on something she saw, she will pay for it. Unless of course someone else is willing to give it away for less than it's worth... Fine Art Florists Unite!!!

I really really wish that designers/owners would start thinking of their work as a fine art instead of just a craft or trade. If we don't empower ourselves, no one will and the big corporations that could care less about making unique statements will roll right over us and leave us in the dust, cashing in on their multi-million dollar franchises. Anyone want to start a revolution? Fine Art Florists Unite?
Perfectly said. Thanks!

The best advice I ever received in this industry was, "You can't lose money on a wedding that you don't get. You can only lose money on a wedding that you price too low." That, for me, has been a guiding principle for many aspects of this business. We also charge $70-75 for a box of stephanois, and they must purchase the entire box. That price does not include labor or anything else. The labor fee on Jessica Simpson's bouquet would be more than our usual 50% for bridal bouquets.

Usually, in our small shop, I do all of the wedding consultations. When I'm out of the shop and a bride drops in unexpectedly, the head designer (who has been in this business for several years) talks to her with the understanding that the bride should return to talk with me also.

My employees are reminded at times that the prices of our flowers help pay their salaries. Gives them more enthusiasm for our prices, which are fair.

One more thing: I just called her our head designer, but in reality, I call us both Floral Artists.

This habit is called "selling from your own wallet" and it's one of the top factors that reduces sales volume and profits. Additionally, it leads to complaints from customers who want more and are willing to spend more.

Ryan

I'm getting a deal...

From my wholesaler on Steph. For buying 16 boxes I am getting them for 12 bucks a piece. So that is going to cost me 192 bucks and I haven't figured out my exact labor as of yet, I know it will be a lot. Usually for one box of 25 blooms it would cost 17.00 but since I am buying so many he is cutting me a break...A big break :) I normally charge 50 bucks for a box. Plus, she is having TONS of other flowers so I can add $ to other things if needed.
-Heather

Our bouquets start at $250-$350.

Wow. The average price for a wedding in the south is a LOT higher than they are on the west coast. I consider our shop to be the most expensive wedding flowers here in our valley and brides start to wiggle if you say their bouquet is going to be $175+. The weird thing though, is we can sell 10 $100+ arrangements a day to our customers. This "west coast" wedding average is a lot different than it is on the East coast and in the South.

I really really wish that designers/owners would start thinking of their work as a fine art instead of just a craft or trade. If we don't empower ourselves, no one will and the big corporations that could care less about making unique statements will roll right over us and leave us in the dust, cashing in on their multi-million dollar franchises. Anyone want to start a revolution? Fine Art Florists Unite?
Well said Iza. The attitude above will separate the florists and the corps (grocery stores and dot coms) in the future. And it is just my silly opinion, but because florists aren't adopting your attitude it is contributing to the deaths of many florist businesses. They aren't evolving and setting up their future niche to be opposite of those who shop for flowers as a commodity.

CHR said:
Hope you can share the pictures. Sounds great.

One trick for selling prestigious priced bouquets is to use the word 'only' before stating the price. As in:

"You have exquisite taste. That memorable, custom-designed bouquet is only $800." Then let the customer decide if they find the value acceptable. If not, they'll let you know.

Be careful with the term "only" it may come off as condescending. You have to know your customer.

In addition to what Cathy has stated, you need confidence.

Confidence comes from doing. The more you upsell, succeed and have happy customers, the more confidence you have in making the next sale.

Another approach, during the consultation, is to look the bride straight in the eye and say "you have exquisite taste (wonderful, great, fabulous....expensive ((maybe)), fill in your adjective) as you are filling out the wedding order, circle, highlight, put an exclamation point next to the description and move on the the bridesmaid's bouquets. Don't give prices until the end of the consultation.

When it comes time to price the wedding out, write down the price or give a range of three prices (if you are doing a consult 8 months out, it is hard to get hard prices on expensive flowers) and then re-enforce the bride's "exquisite choice". Remember, this is the most important day in her life, she deserves a memorable experience. Price is secondary.

My scenario assumes that the bride wants the best. This works for those brides.

As an aside, I am working on my largest wedding ever and the bride, the mom, nor I have even spoken about price.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.