Article 4 Steps To Become A Florist With A Positive Attitude

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
This week's lead article comes from Joe Guggia, AIFD.

We florists belong to a pretty consistent group when it comes to our attitudes. We’re moody, whiney, ego driven, and consumed with the idea we belong to an elite society the masses should adore and envy. After all, we are designers of flower arrangements … how many others can create art with flowers?

C’mon now. That’s a load of crap! Anyone can put flowers in a vase. (Check out this video if you don’t believe me!)

So let’s reframe our way of thinking.

Florists have jobs and careers like anyone else. Floristry is our way of making money to live our lives, pure and simple. So here are a few things to keep in mind so your pride won’t get in the way of your prosperity.

1. Check Your Ego At the Door.

Ego is the worst thing in our business. It turns us into these unreasonable monsters who won’t listen to rhyme or reason. It’s part of our psyche, which we can’t change. Pushing that demon back in some outward area of our brain is the thing to do. It’s tough, but remind yourself that if you ruin relationships with clients, you’ll lose opportunities to show off your skills.

2. Accept Criticism

Being creative is a huge part of the floral business. It’s totally necessary to give our clients new ideas, for which they will want to pay more and more. That said, we need to be open to different ideas, if that’s what others want. If a client’s tastes doesn’t quite align with yours, be gracious and don’t take it personally. Yes, it would be awesome if everyone thought like us. But really, our differences are what makes our world go ‘round. Swallow your pride and keep that brass ring in focus.

3. Be Open to New Ideas and Suggestions

Along with accepting criticism, we need to accept suggestions, especially from the employees we value (we hired them, didn’t we?). Everyone sees things in a different light, which can be so valuable for problem solving and coming up with original looks. Just listen; someone else’s idea might solve your current needs. Think about it for a day or two, then make a decision. It doesn’t take much time for this process, and it may be an incredible idea to implement for your business or design branding.

4. Don’t Whine!

My goal is to always help the florist’s journey (my next article will be to share my last three years of rebranding and coming back from the floral “pit”), so others can learn from my experiences. Sharing is the reason I belong to many Social Media florist groups. Most florists use these platforms to moan and groan about clients and what goes on in their shops. They complain about brides, employees, other florists ... the list goes on and on. Or they just want to be complimented for their designs. It’s a total waste of our valuable time; take that energy to promote your business and educate yourself. If you have a problem, figure it out and go on. If your design has educational value, share the flower arrangement so others can learn about the mechanics, cost and such. Being constructive is one thing, but incessant whining is quite another.

Most florists fall into these traps at one time or another, myself included. It took some reality checks (oh yeah!), which forced me to be a wiser man with my designs and business. Honestly, we’re involved in such a great industry, businesses that are wonderful and so gratifying, touching lives everyday. But along with that comes a responsibility to grow up and forge ahead. The last few years should have been a wakeup call on how to handle ourselves and our business to make a profit and enjoy creating. If you’re not in this group, go lock the front door, put the closed sign up, and walk away. You’ll be much better off in the long run and finally have a chance to not be one of those negative, whining florists.

This week's lead article comes from Joe Guggia, AIFD.

We florists belong to a pretty consistent group when it comes to our attitudes. We’re moody, whiney, ego driven, and consumed with the idea we belong to an elite society the masses should adore and envy. After all, we are designers of flower arrangements … how many others can create art with flowers?

C’mon now. That’s a load of crap! Anyone can put flowers in a vase. (Check out this video if you don’t believe me!)

So let’s reframe our way of thinking.

Florists have jobs and careers like anyone else. Floristry is our way of making money to live our lives, pure and simple. So here are a few things to keep in mind so your pride won’t get in the way of your prosperity.

1. Check Your Ego At the Door.

Ego is the worst thing in our business. It turns us into these unreasonable monsters who won’t listen to rhyme or reason. It’s part of our psyche, which we can’t change. Pushing that demon back in some outward area of our brain is the thing to do. It’s tough, but remind yourself that if you ruin relationships with clients, you’ll lose opportunities to show off your skills.

2. Accept Criticism

Being creative is a huge part of the floral business. It’s totally necessary to give our clients new ideas, for which they will want to pay more and more. That said, we need to be open to different ideas, if that’s what others want. If a client’s tastes doesn’t quite align with yours, be gracious and don’t take it personally. Yes, it would be awesome if everyone thought like us. But really, our differences are what makes our world go ‘round. Swallow your pride and keep that brass ring in focus.

3. Be Open to New Ideas and Suggestions

Along with accepting criticism, we need to accept suggestions, especially from the employees we value (we hired them, didn’t we?). Everyone sees things in a different light, which can be so valuable for problem solving and coming up with original looks. Just listen; someone else’s idea might solve your current needs. Think about it for a day or two, then make a decision. It doesn’t take much time for this process, and it may be an incredible idea to implement for your business or design branding.

4. Don’t Whine!

My goal is to always help the florist’s journey (my next article will be to share my last three years of rebranding and coming back from the floral “pit”), so others can learn from my experiences. Sharing is the reason I belong to many Social Media florist groups. Most florists use these platforms to moan and groan about clients and what goes on in their shops. They complain about brides, employees, other florists ... the list goes on and on. Or they just want to be complimented for their designs. It’s a total waste of our valuable time; take that energy to promote your business and educate yourself. If you have a problem, figure it out and go on. If your design has educational value, share the flower arrangement so others can learn about the mechanics, cost and such. Being constructive is one thing, but incessant whining is quite another.

Most florists fall into these traps at one time or another, myself included. It took some reality checks (oh yeah!), which forced me to be a wiser man with my designs and business. Honestly, we’re involved in such a great industry, businesses that are wonderful and so gratifying, touching lives everyday. But along with that comes a responsibility to grow up and forge ahead. The last few years should have been a wakeup call on how to handle ourselves and our business to make a profit and enjoy creating. If you’re not in this group, go lock the front door, put the closed sign up, and walk away. You’ll be much better off in the long run and finally have a chance to not be one of those negative, whining florists.

Reactions: Joe Guggia AIFD
Don't forget how we got on that downward cranky treadmill a few years back, when the economy crashed and boxstores and grocery stores jumped into the florist industry, and of course the mighty wire services who offer such great deals that they are the only ones making money, we all got bit. Most of us have downsized and have leveled out to a slower paced and more creative endeavor. Its more fun, but hurts more at the same time. We are an industry at risk, your are right though, its not a great time to whine, we need to scream! We are fast becoming an endangered species and may soon be a museum centerpiece. We have already had our ego's snipped, we have to be creative just to get someone to call a Florist.
annnnnd some customer stories are just too funny, I had a groom come to pick up 20 table arrangemets, bouquets, bouts, etc in an open bed pick-up truck! lol quite a story and had a happy end for their beginning! lol

Reactions: SLevi and KABERS
I have to disagree on the moody cranky bit but we come to the industry from a background in retail and hospitality so our attitudes towards service have always been guided by the phrase 'humility before the task' which refers to remembering our place in the process. We are constantly thankful for the opportunity to work in a design driven business (we have no wire service and do mostly custom work) where we can work with such a beautiful product for customers who are often at pivotal moments in their lives.
We work on strong retail principles like 'constant improvement'. This is a great practice where you work on areas of your business that need improvement by making small changes aimed at avoiding past issues from recurring rather than changing things wholesale when a problem arises.
We do get unreasonable complaints from time to time but we try to fix them on first contact and even when the customer is angry and resistant to being helped we insist that we replace of give future credit. We lose very few customers and often win real cheerleaders.
I have cooked, waited tables, sold furniture, hardware and paint. I have worked at a complaints counter where we stood for eight hours dealing with customers who are waiting to have a problem solved. I have never worked in any business where I get to be a part of celebrations and memorials of all kinds. I feel fortunate to help bring beauty to the world. Be it hatching, matching or dispatching, our work is there. Business is business, it all has its challenges and challenging customers. A very smart man told me once that we can't control what others do we can only control how we choose to react.

Reactions: KABERS
I think the cranky was not clear, its cranky and frustrating to make such a beautiful endeavor cost effective against such odds as we are meeting today. I didn't mean towards customers, I appolgize for not making that clear. I feel like I am not the problem, it should be quite rare for a florist to be rude to a customer. Of course we have all meet the snotty ones, but in current times, I still think even they have been brought down a notch or 2. I have great and happy customers. I felt like the article put us, "as Florists" as to being the drag on business and that we are our own enemy. I dissagree, I think we work longer harder and better then ever before, to make ends meet against the aforementioned issues, so therefore we sometimes like to gripe in private amongst our selves because of course we cannot or should not, ever, do it in public! lol

Reactions: KABERS
The video link is key to this whole article, I'm afraid people are not really seeing the point of it's being included.

We snotty florists are absolutely horrified at the hot mess this woman makes.

HOWEVER......the video has 30% more thumbs up than thumbs down and I would be willing to bet that all or most of those negatives have come from florists. REGULAR PEOPLE THINK IT'S PRETTY and are grateful for the tips this woman gives.

jmo

Reactions: SLevi and KABERS