Not open for further replies.

Eric S

Demoted Webmaster
Jul 12, 2005
Tustin
www.everydayflowers.net
State / Prov
CA
Today my fountain valley cousin told be to do a search using yahoo by typing in just florist 92780.

I need some other search results done from other parts of the country to see what the results are. In my results the third natural listing shows this.

#3 findaflorist Storefront, Home Page
online safely and securely! Flowers and other gifts available from your local florist. Order your flowers today and have them delivered conveniently to those you love. ...www.telefloraflorist.com/?ID=42834300&mID=2 - 16k - Cached - More from this site - Save

The link is going to a free teleflora store front and when I contacted customer service they explained that they could not see what I was seeing. If you could please do the same search and see if this site comes up. I would relly appreciate it.

actually they don't show up on any of the first 4 pages for Millinocket, and there are three (maybe 2 now) Teleflora Florists serving here.
But the realflorist blog shows up 3 times for Millinocket :) :kuddle:

Not in NJ at all, just your own sites. Findaflorist shows up 14th, but no Everyday Flowers Listing. Wouldn't this fall under the same category of those directories listing your shop even though you didn't sign up? Aren't they obligated to remove you if you ask? I think it would be the same for their "storefront".

tracy

TF's web services being unable to 'see it' may be a issue with their hosting company. Did you email them the direct link?
If you have "printkey" or "print screen" capability, you can also save the whole image to a file and e-mail it to them..

tracy

Eric,

Here in Cincy, Ohio (or close enough to it) When searching Google, the TF site doesn't show up in the top 10 but, your personal one does.

On yahoo you are 3 and TF is 4...here is the link to the site with the uggggly happy face arrangement on the front page, no less.

:) Heather

I see exactly the same as you, Eric. #3.

Just how much does it cost the florist member to get a web order with TF. Isn't it $3.99 + 20% and would this be a TF headquarters order?

Eric, I would be very surprised if Google was "localized" like you are presuming...in fact I am almost 100% sure it is not. People will NOT get different search rankings depending upon where they are located, so what one sees it what everyone else sees to, unless there is some small difference in the search string.

Google, for the most part, could care less where you are located as you type in your search.

... People will NOT get different search rankings depending upon where they are located, so what one sees it what everyone else sees to, unless there is some small difference in the search string...

Marc,
It's not a matter of "localized" searches...
Google has many data centers, so it depends on which server (data center) your search hits... Yes, you could be getting different SERPS in FL from Eric in CA. Google now updates daily, but it takes about two weeks to add the new update to all the servers...

To add to what Mary Lou said, I believe some ISPs also cache pages to speed up delivery. Had this happen with our own website where the majority of the US was seeing our updates but we were still looking at the previous day's version. (No it was not an internal caching issue on our part.)

Eric,

I googled "florist 92780" on 8-11-06 and that Teleflora page appeared on page 2 as the 14th listing.

personally, I see a way to funnel through Teleflora, but then I am an "oldster" here and have seen the ws's go through the abrupt changes and am very cynical.
If I were a new shop, I'd probably say "Wow, great way to get web orders"? and be without a clue that TEL was "gathering" that info and charging ME for it!! A consumer may think, great a local florist...!! not knowing it is going through a clearing house (deceptive practices there ? )

I have another question.

When you see this page is it

A. Free advertising for the shop.
B. A true attempt to get consumers to purchase flowers with our company.
C. A way to funnel orders through Teleflora.
Maybe a better question is "what would a typical customer think?". My take is that Jane Doe would think that your shop WAS Teleflora...not Eric S's shop/brand. She would press the buttons and send the order, all the while thinking she was ordering directly from Teleflora and not even aware that an independent florist was behind the order.

Remember, most consumers nowadays are Big Brand-blind, so to speak. They seek the comfort, safety, and guarantees of known entities, like Hallmark or Target or...Teleflora. It's a very hard hurdle for indie shops to overcome. So there is three levels acting here...

1. to you, its TF funnelling orders and extracting dollars.
2. to TF, its creating a brand association with your potential customer so she will be comfortable with any TF template site in the future, be it yours or whoevers.
3. to your "customer", its a reassuring purchase through a big national Brand.

Take your pick.

Reactions: 1 person
I have never understoof why consumers are willing to pay a processing fee on top of goods and delivery.

If I were to go to amazon.com they don't charge me a fee for doing business with them, do they? Heck, maybe they do and I am unaware. I just think it is ludicrous that they charge people to do business with them and even more so that people pay it!!

Wanda

I have never understoof why consumers are willing to pay a processing fee on top of goods and delivery.
Most are not *willing*, but do get mad at it. My feeling is that TFTD purposely tries to create the impression that the "processing fee" is the fault of those "greedy little" local florists who have to do all the work. This is a planned campaign, IMO.

"Just look! 24 roses for $29.95! BUT only if you direct ship...so those filling florists are all just ripping you off. Next time, try direct and SAVE SAVE SAVE!" :hug:

Now we all know that after it's all said and done those $29.95 roses cost $58.76 direct, but since many people just get "impressed" from "window shopping" that a company can make an offer like that, the value perception of us B&M florists goes down the tubes, hurting us all in the long run.

TF.com's description of the service charge is placed under 'Delivery', IMO giving the impression that the fee indeed covers the physical delivery of the flowers.

Many OGs label the service charge as 'Delivery' but fail to pass it on, also giving the impression there are no 'hidden fees'.

FTD no longer states the 'service charge' on the same page as the product. (It did until late last year.) The fee does not appear until after the consumer enters the entire order and credit card info. I think FTD has made the calculation that once all the details have been entered, a consumer is unlikely to abandon the shopping cart. Based on this week's financial report, looks like they're correct.

Kremp's OG pages adopted the FTD approach.

It makes comparison shopping tough for consumers - intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.