Battle of the Flower Designers- March Madness Tournament 2010

master J

Jan 8, 2005
Havertown - Philadelphia
www.belvedereflowers.com
State / Prov
pa
I thought I would try to get some of you to participate in an idea I had.

As some of you know, for fun only, last year myself & Eric, did a Battle of Designers Challenge on YouTube. It was a lot of fun, and I thought about trying it again this year. I also did a few weeks of battles between my own staff too, again, just for fun.

This year, I thought of doing a March Madness Tournament between shops across the world.

I'm hoping to get at least 6 florists to participate in this, and up to 24 max. I'm not sure what kind of response I will get from all of you, but I thought it was worth a try.

You will need to have a video camera to upload to youtube, if not, I guess a slideshow of pictures taken from different angles of the design would be OK too, but you need to be able to upload to YouTube.

I also would need some help with the rules, and voting process, maybe a BLOG page that links to all of our blogs, etc.

I'm hoping Cathy ( CHR), Ricky ( RWK), Carol Bice & others can participate and help with rules and design ideas.

This is just something to try and get our creative juices flowing, I love to design, but hate just about every other part about running this business, so sometimes I need to just have fun and forget about the business side of running a flower shop.

We can also consider marketing this idea, and maybe having a wholesale/vendor advertise and give a prize for the winner....

Let me know if anyone is interested, you can just reply to this thread, and I will contact you.

If not, I will just play with myself.....;)

Reactions: KABERS
Why not have everyone use the exact same materials? Create a list and then let's go for it.

My March is looking pretty busy with a couple large weddings, corporate events and a weekend away for our daughter to be in a basketball competition but I'll try to make it work.

BTW, Phil got a phone call from a production company looking to do a reality show about designers. They're the same group that produces RuPaul's show. They're supposed to be sending him detailed info next week.

Adam - Although my Flip got flopped ( Internal drive crashed ) - I have a camera with a video option.........so, count me in buddy.....Only thing is this......I now work exclusively in permanent botanicals.

Reactions: master J
Adam,
What a great idea! That would be really energizing for everybody I think. I've been thinking about looking into a video camera, and this might just tip me over the edge. I've only entered ONE design contest in my entire career, so don't even know really what judges look for so I would make a terrible judge. Even if I don't participate, though, the ideas for different uses of the same materials is ALWAYS useful.

Cathy,
Good idea about the list of materials, I think that is a much better way to judge a designer than the other way. Sometimes, I'm drawn to a design because of a really unique container. So, are we going to be seeing Phil playing at drama queen on the tube? I don't generally watch TV but I would be glued to the set for a show like that!

For me, March is always pretty even, don't usually have much going on unless there are a bunch of funerals, so I would like to try if that's okay. (Besides, I HATE it when a man has to play with himself!)

We could either do something like cathy suggested, using the same exact materials, or we can make it a little more open and creative, like A Ubloom style contest, so this way every arrangement doesn't look similar, I would like to see some different flowers and designs.

However, Cathy's way is probably more fair, but I wanted to talk about other options too.
Maybe we could limit the amount of flowers you can use, or maybe just have everyone use the same container, using any choice of flowers you want to fit that container.

Feel free to post more ideas, and we can try and get the official rules together before the end of this month-

Ricky, I would be OK with you using permanant botanicals if the rules allow for that.

I really want this to be more creative and fun, it really won't matter who wins, I think we will all be winners just for entering. I don't want this to become a drama contest with arguments and complaints like that other Fc contest a few years ago ;)

So feel free to post any more ideas for rules and designs....

So far I have 3 florists who are in for sure, please contact me or post to this thread if you are interested. Thanks.

Reactions: KABERS
What about an arrangement/design to suit a particular purpose/theme/or holiday? - That way permanents as well as fresh or even plants could be used......or.....recreate an existing design as best you can using either fresh or permanent.

Thats a couple more ideas that would allow permanents as well as fresh/plants or other floral material to be used.

I'm in!
We have done a local fund raiser here for the last couple of years where we dressed models in floral dresses - that was the only theme, from there everyone did whatever they wanted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNq0eyB0ueo (we had an awesome model).
But I keep trying to tell them that the REAL fun would be video taping the process: me having a breakdown because the dress was so heavy it was sliding off the manequin, me having a breakdown because the dress wasn't going to fit in the van, me having a breakdown because the zipper wouldn't go up and we had to sew her into the dress... Wow! I had alot of breakdowns! Maybe I don't want to do this after all ;-)
Seriously tho, not suggesting anything near this elaborate or time consuming... but the process is always the most fun (when you're finally finished and it's amazing as usual)!
Would be great if we had a way to have our customer's vote and maybe give somthing away to a random voter??? Great publicity for us before mother's day!
Just a thought.
Lety me know if I can help at all.

O! I just remembered my favorite one... We did another one which was a "table" contest and the only theme was SPRING. There was a retail min of $200 and max of $400 and everyone had a 30" round table to decorate to present the theme. That was fun!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
From a consumer standpoint, seeing the potential of what can be done with the very same flowers may be more interesting than seeing a mix of arrangements of varying materials.

How about this recipe?

5 gerbers
3 hydrangeas
7 roses
9 carnations
5 snapdragons
3 stems dendrobiums
1/4 bu statice
4 types of 'greens' (foliages of your choice)
1 twig-type material (birch, curly willow, blooming branches)
- container of your choice
- colors in your choice
- the designer MUST use all the flowers on the list.

- no add-ons like beads, gems or other decorative hardgoods.

- must be a single unit deliverable in one piece.

Design must be filmed (videod) from all sides.

Too many flowers? Too few? Thoughts?

From a consumer standpoint, seeing the potential of what can be done with the very same flowers may be more interesting than seeing a mix of arrangements of varying materials.

Honestly, I disagree. It would be more fun for everyone to see outrageous, creative designs... both as designers and as potential and current customers. The added "drama" of the pieces would create more "buzz", I think.

If we were holding a contest to choose a "specialty design" for Easter or Mother's Day that we were all going to carry in our shops, that would be different - and maybe not a half bad idea anyway... why not do both??? One with set parameters like you suggested and one really wild, fun, creative piece each.

If we are YouTube-ing this, I just think it should capture as mush interest and attention as possible... besides, I'm never really having fun designing unless it includes a "meltdown" ;-)

I kind of like Cathy's idea now, using the same flowers, yet the colors and container will be different, so it will be interesting to see what people can create using the same flower type and count.

Containers and styles will vary for sure, and it will keep things somewhat fair. It's also a challenge to have to include carns, which I normally would not use in a design but there are some beautiful varieites out there....

I think I am going to go with Cathy's idea, as I want to get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks for your input Nancy, maybe the next one we can go all out....it's hard enough just to get people to participate in this, so lets try one before commiting to anything else just yet.

So far I have confirmed with-
Twigs- representing NV
Anytime Flowers- representing MN
Everyday Flowers- representing CA
Belvedere Flowers- representing PA
Mums & More- representing SD
Anthony's Florist- representing FL
Avante gardens- representing CA
Ricky RWK- representing SC

Here are the Maybes- let me know if you are in for sure & I will lock you in-

Central Square Florist- Representing MA
Hanging Basket Florist representing Austrailia

Anyone else who wants in on this, try to let me know in the next few days, I want to start making brackets, and organizing this as best I can. Thx :)

Feel free to add more sugestions too, we can tweak the recipe Cathy posted if we need to...

O hey, I'm in no matter what!

I can still have fun with a "meltdown" ;-)

I might make it an instore contest on our end first then submit the best deisgn.

What's our timeframe???

O hey, I'm in no matter what!

I can still have fun with a "meltdown" ;-)

I might make it an instore contest on our end first then submit the best deisgn.

What's our timeframe???

Great idea, have your designers all make one and pick the nicest one to enter, we do this too!

I will give you more details on the deadline/timeframe to enter but I have marked you in as confirmed :)

If you send me a naked pic of your flower model, I will rig the contest and you will win! LOL Better yet, put her in the video! LOL

I think the same flowers should be used in THIS competition (although those dresses sound REALLY COOL!) especially after reading this comment on the YouTube clip:

Hm, unfortunately it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges - two clean, modern designs against two busy, traditional designs from Everyday. Would have been a better comparison had they been similar arrangements or using the same flowers. Sooo, that said my vote is definitely for the Belvedere design... once again, there is a pleasing elegance to your designs and the color balance couldn't be better! I love the soothing, feminine appeal of #1, and the bold colors and shapes of #2. Nice!

I think this could be something that the average people (not just florists) on YouTube might take an interest in. The easier to see design differences the better?

If you send me a naked pic of your flower model, I will rig the contest and you will win! LOL Better yet, put her in the video! LOL

LMAO!!!!!

Don't you worry, we'll get Bailey in on this somehow - I promise you!

She will, however, be clothed... She's actually pretty particular about that ;-)

Thanks for the LAUGH OUT LOUD moment today!!!

If you all want to work from the same container, I could see if we can donate up to a case (24), though how I'd get them out to each of the participants is a question. Perhaps I could even get them to let us use one of the new bamboo line pieces, since we're going to be starting a pretty big marketing push around those soon, anyway!

Let me know. I don't think I could get money for a prize (I don't have any budget to myself to use), but if you'd be willing to credit us in the video description, I think I could work something out.

I know that breaks a little bit with the most recent posts, but it's just a thought. :)

The only drawback to using specified flowers is that in my case, We have a central core of buyers and we have NO control over what we get in and what we will have to carry and use. For instance, Right now, There is not the first stem of statice in that 60 thousand plus square foot store. Only hydrangeas in stock right now are in a burgundy red color.

We have no say, no input on what our buyers get for us. For example, we got these hideous 'butterfly bushes' - I kid you not, they are a mixed grasses bush with butterflies where flowers would be on the bush. No self-respecting florist in their right mind would choose something so hideous..........yet the buyers got the stuff.

Regarding carnations, the only ones in the store right now are bushes with red, white and blue carnations........it ain't officially spring yet and they gettin in patriotic stuff already.

Reactions: Dee Dee
I would love to do this, but with the nature of my business it would be unlikely that I would have all of those flowers in stock. The cost of getting bunches of each item would be high when we do not do retail and would not have the chance to sell it. If you do an open flower choice contest in the future, I'm in!

Reactions: Dee Dee