Status
Not open for further replies.

floraldesignson99th

Jan 27, 2006
CHICAGO
State / Prov
IL
HELP.. I have 8 bridesmaids lavender rose composites to do for May
will cardboard backings get soft in the cooler? any other backing suggestions..........what lavender rose will hold up (I talked the bride out of creme roses ) any other tips would be REALLY appreciated.

We never use cardboard to make composites. We just take a rose and strip it of most of it's petals, wire and tape the stem like you would for a boutonniere and then add the petals with Oasis floral adhesive. We use decorative wire to cover the taped stem and voila...composite rose! We spray it really good with Hawaiian Mist before we pop it in the cooler.
Any lavender rose should be fine to use.

Hope That Helps!!

composite rose

thanx ...good idea ! never thought about spraying the backing.....
any idea about securing the backing to the single center rose stem
John Henry design book says chenille stems but they're not clear about what to do with the chenille stems ????

composite rose bouquet

to Heather...........the picture the bride to be chose (in the John Henry new design book) uses 6 roses.....Will that hold up without some support ? I've avoided doing these for 15 years.....

amy1.jpg

I use coated paper plates, or the ends of ribbon spools. (not had them in a cooler though). The ribbon spool end has a hole in the center. I place the petals with floral adhesive from outer to inner. Take a real rose, and bulk it up with more petals glued around it, then slip it through the center of the petals glued to the ribbon spool end.

Made these for flower girls, and put the "rose" into a small holder, with a bit of hypericum and a piece of alstromeria. Starched doilies (to match the lace in their dresses) to fit over the holder and added lace trim, see picture.

Theresa,

That is SO gorgeous!

Beth :~)

to Heather...........the picture the bride to be chose (in the John Henry new design book) uses 6 roses.....Will that hold up without some support ? I've avoided doing these for 15 years.....

I haven't seen the one you are talking about so I am not sure exactly what it looks like. We have done them with as many as four roses worth of petals and we just use thicker decorative wire as a base and then wrap it down the stem to form a handle. I have done two or three, we really don't do them that often, but the ones I have done are usually at least 4-6 inches in diameter.

Hope that helps!

The Coated Paperplate Sounds Great......even Two Glued T0gether .might Increase Stability.....i'm Going To Try A Foam Paper Plate To See If It Holds The Glue...........
I Made A Small Sample On A Ribbon Spool End (which Is Too Small For My Application) And It's Been In A Plastic Bag In The Cooler For Two Days And Still Holding Up.....the Cardboard Hasn't Deteriorated Suprisingly.

I'll Report Again....because Of Having To Make So Many We Will Have To Create Them A Few Days In Advance....maybe Just Insert The Center Rose The Day Before ? Bulking Up The Center Rose Is A Great Idea !

O.K. I don't want to sound stupid here, but can someone please explain to me what a rose composite is. I have never seen or heard of them oddly enough. I quess in this area it isn't a popular thing or maybe just called by a different name. But that's is why I love FC... always new things to discover.

We also...

We never use cardboard to make composites. We just take a rose and strip it of most of it's petals, wire and tape the stem like you would for a boutonniere and then add the petals with Oasis floral adhesive. We use decorative wire to cover the taped stem and voila...composite rose! We spray it really good with Hawaiian Mist before we pop it in the cooler.
Any lavender rose should be fine to use.

Hope That Helps!!

...use this method. Never had a problem.

I just had a customer wanting peonies for centerpieces for 30 tables for their wedding. The picture they gave looks like it has at least 30 peonies in them EACH. Can anyone reply or send me PM on what you would charge for each of these.
She also wants cymbidium orchids in her bouquet and not sure how to "attach" them in the bouquet since it is a hand tied

I am glad you asked the question .........I was wandering myself :)

I just had a customer wanting peonies for centerpieces for 30 tables for their wedding. The picture they gave looks like it has at least 30 peonies in them EACH. Can anyone reply or send me PM on what you would charge for each of these.
She also wants cymbidium orchids in her bouquet and not sure how to "attach" them in the bouquet since it is a hand tied

For the bouquet, just wire the cymbids and add them into the bouquet like you would any other flower...it's very simple to do and the cymbids hold up very well.

For the peony centerpieces...

First of all, it would depend on the time of year that the wedding was. If it were any time other than the spring I wouldn't do them with only peonies. The size of peonies when they are out of season is disappointing at best.

I would charge no less than $150.00 for each centerpiece. That's a very rough estimate since I don't know the greenery or container that she is asking for. Also, that price is assuming that you can get a bulk discount for ordering so many. Make sure you figure into the price the amount of labor it will take to process all 900 of them!

Best Wishes!!

Any suggestions on how many Gerbera Daisy's it would take to do a pomander for a flowergirl?

Any suggestions on how many Gerbera Daisy's it would take to do a pomander for a flowergirl?
i wouldn't think it would take that many it depends on what size oasis ball you use if it was me then i'd use the small one and it'd take depending on the size of the mini gebera i suggest between 8 to 12 any bigger it may be too big for the flowergirl how old is she?

Potty x:)

Composite Bouquets (duchess Roses)

Ok........this Is The Week...........have Six To Design With 6 Roses In Each...........5 Petals And One Central Rose............
The John Henry Newest Bridal Set Shows Two, One As A Brides Bouquet And One As A Pew Decoration..........each Totally Different In Execution ? (thanks A Lot !)

We Are In The Midst Of Deciding How To Execute These....i'll Let You All Know Later....

Just Be Sure To Charge Enuf For All The Headaches (we Charged $80.00 Hoping The Bride Would Balk And Choose Something Else...........to No Avail !)

Status
Not open for further replies.