Embarrasing but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...the vase is half the battle and no tape needed.

Inka said:
I think the vase you use is half the battle.

We use a 9" illusions vase from Indiana glass. Has a nice flair at the lip but also a smaller opening below to help hold the roses in a nice all around style. We don't use grids, tape or anything but the greenery for support.

A natural green lacing of the baker fern is what all the designers use here. Mixed greens sometimes. We add babys breath if requested last, less chance of just stuffing extra. We use the lacing of greens for all our vase arrangements roses, mixed spring, ect. We saw it done years ago at a design show, it was so simple, quick, and NATURAL like flowers. There's our two cents!

We use the greens as a grid also. have seen the shredded styro and it is ugly. our roses stay well and are tall and full.

once saw a designer using oasis in the top neck of the vase - then inserted roses so that the stems did not go below oasis level. everything died quickly - no water.

after all was completed for delivery, more roses completed for shop sales, we could barely keep up with roses as customers continued to come in until 7pm on the Big day.

Having seen several folks mention a weaving technique for greens in a vase, I'm wondering where instructions for this technique can be found. We use no tape and insert greens at an angle, crossing each other, but no actual weaving. Sometimes I think that we use too much greenery and would like to find a better way (always!) of doing what we do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Embarrasing but true

Wow. Don't think I've seen so many answers so quickly on one subject before.

How you do it does not make you the best designer in the world or the worst. I too feel that I am a pretty good designer but have trouble from time to time with arranging roses. We use the weaving of greenery then adding the roses. But the vase makes a big difference. What vase works for one person will not necessairly work for the next ... so try some different ones until you find "your" vase. Also I find the stem of the rose makes a big difference. Sometimes every rose in a bunch has a stem built like a big tree ... and is straight as a board ... and not one natural curve in a stem to help you. So if it was a perfect world ........

Just keep plugging away and find the best method for you. It was probably the last design I conquered when I started. Plus once you get them in the vase ... don't move them because then you have to start again.

embarrassing, but, true

There are many ways to design rose vases. Personally, I would never ever use a grid or tape of any kind for many reasons.

My two favorite ways to secure the greens is to lace each stem in your hand before you put it in the vase. Then you might add some filler or other greens to help support your handtied green base. The other way is to use a base of green such as pittosporum or similar and add the other greens after I create a good basing.

I like to put the shorter roses around the outside of the vase first, weaving them into the greenery base as I go. Then I put the next layer in the middle of the vase until I get to the top and longest ones. If you still feel like you need more support for your flowers at that point, just insert more greens through the stem network you have created.

I promise you that this not only looks better than using grids, but, is much faster and costs far less. Also, I always design my bouquet in one vase (I use this vase for many arrangements) and then transfer it to another one with good clear water and then there is no debris left. You are not able to do this if you use a grid.

I have been in many shops that still use a grid and taught many designers over the country how to do this technique and they never go back to using a grid. If you get good at this, I promise you that the bouquet will not turn or get messed up in delivery. I have never had a bouquet come back to me for this reason in my entire life.

Another popular and desirable way is to make a spiraled handtied bouquet and tie it off with an electric strip or raffia, etc. This does take a little more practice, but, the end result is the best when you really learn to do this well.

Also, not many shops are still putting bows on their dozen roses. This seems to be passe'. And very few are doing one sided rose arrangments.
Carol Bice

Carol Bice said:
Also, I always design my bouquet in one vase (I use this vase for many arrangements) and then transfer it to another one with good clear water and then there is no debris left. You are not able to do this if you use a grid. Carol Bice

Once I heard someone here say this I started doing that also and it is a wonderful idea. All those little tiny pieces that get into the water during arranging, some just don't come out. Only nice clean water doing it this way.

About a grid - many many years ago when I first saw them (when vased flowers were not the norm) I loved them. I used up one case and then decided anyone could arrange flowers with a grid and taught myself to vase flowers with greens only. It was not hard at all.

Now starting March 7th we are holding a design class in our tiny little store and will be teaching others to do this. Not many signed up, but I am quite relieved as this is my first time and now I don't feel so nervous.

As for bows? Stopped adding bows to vased arrangements about a year and a half ago. I do offer something we call "The Works" which is basically a dozen roses done in a "WOW" fashion. We do add a very fancy bow to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.