Embarrasing but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushin Petals

Nov 19, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi there
Iam an acomplished designer with my own shop yet STILL feel that I have dificulties doing rose vase arrangments, do you guys make a bouquet first then put in vase? Of all of the techniques I have this one still makes me frustrated. Any tips?

I think the vase you use is half the battle.

We use a 9" illusions vase from Indiana glass. Has a nice flair at the lip but also a smaller opening below to help hold the roses in a nice all around style. We don't use grids, tape or anything but the greenery for support.

We just use the typical glass vases. Find that the clear tape works great . The green davey tape looks gross and not to mention it doesnt stick. Trying to get that tape to stick is enough to make a preacher cuss !!! I have only heard of one other shop using the greens to support the roses. Once they got their arrangement made, they insisted on picking the arrangement back out of the vase to put different water in and the dropping the arrangment back in. Huge mess and took too much time . But we had a new shop owner who wasnt a florist -- he was a travel agent by trade , and he had all these BRIGHT ideas.

Originally posted by Inka
I think the vase you use is half the battle.

We use a 9" illusions vase from Indiana glass. Has a nice flair at the lip but also a smaller opening below to help hold the roses in a nice all around style. We don't use grids, tape or anything but the greenery for support.

Exactly what I already said. No grids, no tape, just greenery to hold it all together. Goes together in a few minutes and stays put. At least it does when I do it. Not sure about others. I used grids and then tape when first learing for a few months then stopped depending on that stuff. I am quite surprised how many "designers" are dependent on the grids and tape and stuff. I must be more naive than I thought I was. I just assumed professional designers didn't need tape, etc.

Did anyone else assume this?

I had help this weekend and he uses tape as a grid...drives me nuts because today I'm scraping and cleaning the dam* stuff off the vase. I guess it's just what everyone is used to. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for another...not wrong...just different. :)

V

Originally posted by Lady Biker Florist
Exactly what I already said. No grids, no tape, just greenery to hold it all together. Goes together in a few minutes and stays put. At least it does when I do it. Not sure about others. I used grids and then tape when first learing for a few months then stopped depending on that stuff. I am quite surprised how many "designers" are dependent on the grids and tape and stuff. I must be more naive than I thought I was. I just assumed professional designers didn't need tape, etc.

Did anyone else assume this?

I did... I was inspired by a very accomplished designer... I would have been slapped if I even thought about using a grid. I always thought it was absolutely fine for the first year or so while you learn...but now I certainly don't need it.

You just have to practice how to weave your greens first...Just keep greening vases until you learn how to make almost a basketweave effect. I use regular rose vases (Brody...I cover them with a big bow, anyway) After I green with leather, sometimes I'll put a stem of BB for a little "starter" stability. Then start from the top and work my way around with the roses. Finally, fill in and tighten the vase with more bb and greens. Sure, sometimes a few roses will move on you when you first get started...just be patient and move them back into position once you get eongh in the vase to make things tight. I weave everything...the greens, the bb, the rose stems...Weave them so well that if you try to take 1 stem out, the whole mass comes with it. When I do that, I definately don't need tape. And when you get to that point, you can honestly say that you wouldn't even WANT to use tape..it really gets in the way!

Funny, since I've been interviewing, I've seen plenty of designers tape their vases...so I was screwing around and decided to go back to taping...What a mess! Once you put something in, trying to move it was almost impossible without twisting the tape up. It also limited my ability to put things in their place...plus, I've always been paranoid about a customer going to dump the arr after it's dead and then thinking that we don't know what we're doing b/c of the grid...Don't worry, I'm sure consumers have no clue...I'm just weird.

Finally, I watched these girls tape the vases and it took the FOREVER! In the amt of time it took them to tape, I could have been half finished. I will admit 2 things, though... I think I probably use about 2 stems more greens in order to not use tape, and I still like to SPARINGLY tape vases with REALLY wide openings of 9" or greater. I tape the latter with only as much tape as you would use on a reg vase (tic-tac-toe), but I do it because of how much product goes in (that's a lot to fall out if tipped) and sometimes so I can cut back on a few stems, too.

I know it seem so easy to jjust pop on a grid and get to work, but please consider that anyone at a supermarket floral stand can do that too. We have to prove to consumers that we ARE SO MUCH BETTER than that...wow them with the fact that you could do a doz rose in an old paper bag and make it look good!

Just my 2 cents :eek:face

Dana

Dana,

Have to say I'm mostly on board with what you say. We start our juniors doing hand-tieds, then move them into vase work. I can't tell you the last time someone actually taped a grip on a vase here. I don't think it would even be feasible for the styles they do (but I'm just an office guy ;) ).

Ryan

I'ld have to say, I was also quite surprised at the number of "tapers" and "foamers". Yuk! I have no issue with newbies using tape, but I try to ween them off the stuff asap, with the exception of very large vases. And that shredded styrene....just nasty! It's a breeding ground for bacteria and, I believe, shortens the life of the flowers. It can also be difficult for customers (especially over 40's!) to easily see when the water level is low. It's messy to discard, and definitely not needed in the landfills. I can't think of a single reason to use it.......

Knife's Wife

A florist in our delivery pool uses shredded styro in all their vases. Sometimes when we deliver a vase for them the customer asks the driver to hold on a minute.. then they proceed to grab ahold of the stems and lift the arrangement out of the vase and tell us they don't need the vase with the styro.

I've seen that shredded stuff, but always thought it was just weird looking. Once at an FTD Christmas Walk (a long time ago) I examined one closely and to me it seems quite messy and a pain in the behind.

For those that use it, is it really any easier to design in. Just curious, I'm not switching as I think it looks cheapens the flowers. I wonder who and when that practice started.

At an FTD disctrict meeting one time they told us not to use it as it clogs the stems of the flowers. Don't know if this is true, but that's what they told us.

Yea Victoria, you're right, not right or wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

Regarding the shredded styro...heard the same thing from a grower down in Miami 5 or 6 years ago.

The foam shreds into tiny invisible particles which are absorbed up the stem in the hydration process.

These particles congregate, creating a blockage which eliminates further hydration...causing the rose to die prematurely.

When we're trying to sell quality vs. the grocery stores, the last thing we need is to kill our products in an effort to create "the look".

As a wise man once said...SUBSTANCE OVER STYLE!

Way back when I started out , the shop I worked with we used to chip oasis or use the scraps in vase , then along came the shredded styro crap , late 70's, hated both of them , don't use either since I've had a choice on the matter.

excuse me -- JAN in Hazel Park -- but just because someone may decide to use tape on a vase does NOT determine how professional they are !! WE use the clear tape and you would never know the vase was taped unless i told you . But different stroke for different folks. I get the same results with our without tape and it doesnt take me any longer to do an arrangement one way or the other -- what can i say -- i must be good.

We don't use tape, we don't use styro. We've always found that a base of various greens works sufficiently for our needs.

Audra

Originally posted by countrypetal
excuse me -- JAN in Hazel Park -- but just because someone may decide to use tape on a vase does NOT determine how professional they are !! WE use the clear tape and you would never know the vase was taped unless i told you . But different stroke for different folks. I get the same results with our without tape and it doesnt take me any longer to do an arrangement one way or the other -- what can i say -- i must be good.

countrypetal: First I have to ask - Who is Jan you are referring to? I am Patty a.k.a Lady Biker Florist. Relax, not saying tape is less professional, just saying I had always assumed it was and lo and behold look how many professionals use it. I am a firm advocate of different strokes for different folks when it comes to floristry. I'll be the first to admit I do not always say (post) things the way I am thinking them or feeling them. Without tone of voice and facial expressions a lot gets lost. Everything's cool!

No No Tape

ugh tape... Tapeing takes to long. besides who has the time. Example of how to green a rose vase. 9 1/2 c 973 rose vase from brody. take a 1/4 bunch of lemon leaf in your hand turn 1/2 it it around in your hand and use a pruner cutting the bottoms and placing it in your vase add a few pieces of leather fern around the vase add 1 stem of lemon again.<i use a knife always but the pruners work well with the lemon stems >:). and wow your done. i myself pregreened 245 vase arrangements in about 8 hours including quite a few cig breaks.. Is that fast? i think so. designers who design, should design . Don't let your deigner move from there spot . have a runner to get your vases to you ,and also remove them away from you. my wage for holiday is 25.00 per hour. sales help wages aprx 6 to 8.00 hr.thats why you have runners for your designers..... it helps move production along quick. total rose vases greened 320 doz rose vases ,72 half doz rose vases, 48 ginger vases,96 single rose vase. not to mention all the teleflora vases and 1-800 vases that where also done. three designers total and one excelent manager,who infact only had to pick her knife up twice the whole week. what a perferctly ran shop... remember an expierience manager will run your shop with ease..... richie

except for the mention of 800f vases you were going good there.

No tape or crushed styrofoam here. We simply use leatherleaf and salal to green, weaving the stems with each other so they form a natural grid. For a dozen roses, we insert the 7 outer roses first, then the center 4, then the last , center (tallest) rose. We then finish off with more greens, including tree fern and filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.