Facebook e-commerce

We do have a working template within V3 that operates with Facebooks iframe format for tabs. We're testing with a few sites before announcing publicly. I also wanted to get a few more people migrated before making an official announcement, cuz that would just be cruel to the V2 users ;)

considering I don't even know what version I am, and considering I just figured out how to block orders for some days when needed (such as yesterday for my Dad's funeral), considering I'm so lax at doing things... any changes need to be explained out Very Carefully LOL... :)

FB may eventually be a player in online shopping, but take a look at this article published today in Marketing Pilgrim:

Study: Google Trumps Facebook (by A Lot) in First Stop for Online Purchases

The graph really illustrates it.

Florists 'can' offer ordering via a FB interface, but the numbers aren't there right now for the effort and upkeep it will take, IMO.

--------------------------

Rhonda, I am so sorry to hear your father passed away. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

FB may eventually be a player in online shopping ... Florists 'can' offer ordering via a FB interface, but the numbers aren't there right now for the effort and upkeep it will take

And therein lies the challenge as a developer :) Facebook and social bells and whistles look and sound great, but the return given to the florist isn't always there to justify the time and expense. However, if we ignore those things then we risk losing market share to those who push all the shiny things regardless of actual ROI.

We have opted to primarily focus on breaking the mold of the traditional ecommerce site a bit with V3, emphasizing the ability to create great content and to customize each and every page, both for granular SEO control and to best suit the products or content on that page. In a post-Panda online environment, that's the type of site that will win long term.

But, ya ... we've also got Facebook Like buttons, Google +1, and our Facebook iframe page which does a LOT more than just commerce.

Rhonda, I'm so sorry about your dad. You are in my thoughts.

Cathy, I think the facebook ecommerce is much like the floralapp. Like Ryan says, more shiny buttons. But honestly that's the way I felt about a website, too. I really only "got one of those" because everybody kept asking me if I had one. Even then it was not e-commerce until late Jan. 2010! I'm tired of being behind the eight-ball.

I seriously thought about Art's Floralapp, but decided the investment would be too much considering that I would STILL have to invest in other marketing materials just to get people to download it, never mind actually USE it.

I like the facebook option because it ties in better with the whole idea of open communication and consumer involvement, especially knowing some of the really big brands are pushing their marketing dollars towards that.

Ryan, I am SO ready to "migrate". :) Maybe THIS summer?