Status
Not open for further replies.

Chezbloom

Dec 27, 2006
St. Louis Park
www.chezbloom.com
State / Prov
Minnesota
Ok, there has been a lot of anti wire service posting (some by me) here on FC and I am really curious as to the pros of having a Wire service. I know there have to be some very good reasons besides the ability to send out orders (thats fairly obvious). I would like to see some of the reasons that florists would not or should not consider being wire service free.

Reactions: 3 people
:eek:
Wow, I don't start many threads but this is the first one that has never gotten a response. Oh well.:dunno:

Lol, see, the smart-arse in me would say there are no answers because there are no benefits ;)

Chez- I'd answer but, I'm not a WS member so I really have no idea what the benefits are besides, like you said, the ability to quickly and efficiently send out orders.

Reactions: 2 people
Fair enough.
Sort of what I thought as well, its just that someone said they could think of a million reasons not to be wire service free and for the life of me I could not think of more than the sending one.

Reactions: 1 person
I am now WS free and anyone who knows my posts know that I am anti-WS. I don't get the ease to send out orders. I get better service, better quality, and more efficiency calling florists direct than I ever did with a WS. People say that they don't have time to find a florist and make a call but will spend all day sending messages or following up rejects on a WS?

Well, I first try to give the customer a phone number of a florist that they can call direct. I am on a campaign to try to get my customers to call direct. There are times that a customer really, really wants me to take care of it, so I do. I tell them that there is a $5 fee for me to do it and they usually don't mind paying it. I then send the full amount to the other florist. But, to my surprise many of them give me a 20% discount for calling direct with a credit card. I don't ask for it though.

Then once I hang up the phone there is no follow up or rejects or messages. All done and everyone happy.

Truly, I am curious on this thread to hear the benefits because there were absolutely no benefits for me.

Wow, I don't start many threads but this is the first one that has never gotten a response. Oh well.:dunno:

Because no sensible discussion is possible. It has never been, and frankly, I'm tired of being personally insulted just for the crime of presenting my own views on WS. Some of so-called "anti-WS" people are not interested in dialogue (and vice versa) and don't listen to those who disagree, so what's the point?

Also, I don't recall anyone who ever said florist "should not" be WS-free, as you claim. That's not true. If you disagree, perhaps you care to point to even one such post where someone said "there are million reasons we should not be WS free"?

I do recall that some of us, including myself, opined that the decision to remain with WS or stay out of it is something that each individual florist should make, based on his/her particular circumstances. We don't believe that there is a universal rule that says "Thou shall not be a WS member."

I also recall that, under certain conditions, incoming orders can be profitable. There are many threads on this topic (profitability of wire-ins), so I won't reapeat it.

I am finally WS free here. FTD went in January.
TF just got their letter from me and my attny this week.

Since leaving the WS's I have had so much more time to make things for my shop, to work on my websites, to make real dollars for my shop.
Not the monopoly kind of money you get from the WS's where you work your buttons off all day, to end up with little or no money when your WS statement comes.

I see absolutely NO benefit to having a WS.

I have never had another shop refuse my split on a CC. I simply calculate the money both ways before I call them, then say you can make this much more money on this order with my CC than with the WS. They are always up for more money.

Someone needs to make a CC Split Website we could all go to, to connect with one another...Hey, maybe I'll do that, who knows.:thumbsup

Because no sensible discussion is possible. It has never been, and frankly, I'm tired of being personally insulted just for the crime of presenting my own views on WS. Some of so-called "anti-WS" people are not interested in dialogue (and vice versa) and don't listen to those who disagree, so what's the point?

Also, I don't recall anyone who ever said florist "should not" be WS-free, as you claim. That's not true. If you disagree, perhaps you care to point to even one such post where someone said "there are million reasons we should not be WS free"?

I do recall that some of us, including myself, opined that the decision to remain with WS or stay out of it is something that each individual florist should make, based on his/her particular circumstances. We don't believe that there is a universal rule that says "Thou shall not be a WS member."

I also recall that, under certain conditions, incoming orders can be profitable. There are many threads on this topic (profitability of wire-ins), so I won't reapeat it.

I was referring to the post below:

Originally Posted by Carrington
Chezbloom - I'm not sure they'd go out of business but some of them might make less money. My personal thought is that florists can't and indeed shouldn't give up wire ... for a zillion and one reasons but that doesn't mean they should just keep silent. Florists who are still in wire actually do have the power to effect change and as such should fight back from within and make their voices heard. Letters like this may not get instant results but at least it shows not everyone is ground down. And yes I'd sign it if I was a florist.

Gee Goldfish, I really did'nt mean to get you so upset. I guess I'll stop asking questions on Flower chat pertaining to anything WS related, after all, it really should'nt affect me. I just thought this was a forum for sharing information, perhaps it is not the place I thought it was.

I took some useful info and insight from different perspectives from your post-thank you Chez I have a lot to learn about WS the shop I spent most of my career at did WS but did not make any of their pictures or buy any of their product I find it very frustrating when we get an order with not enough money to make the arrangement shown.

Goldfish, I respectfully disagree with your statement in bold. I think I have been involved in many of the WS threads and think that we all "listen" and have "dialogue"....do you mean that we don't listen because we disagree with you or that we don't listen because we don't respond? I can't speak for everyone on FC but I think the fact that you are a member here and get responses means that we are all listening. With that in mind....return the favor and listen to this: In my opinion, WS hurts the whole industry whether you participate with them or not. If you agree or disagree, that is dialogue. Not provoking you, just trying to get you to loosen up a bit.

In my opinion your thread title is vague ("features and benefits"). Not to mention you happened to post at a time when there was a lot of drama in other threads, yours happened to get lost in the shuffle.

Looks like your bump helped generate some discussion.

Chez, don't be discouraged from starting threads, keep on "cheeping". :)

WS Benefits (note: not all benefits apply to all services)

National/International Network with a database of affiliated florists. Clearinghouse services guarantee payment.

Affiliate marketing whereby agents sell your products and you sell theirs.

Electronic order exchange for 24 hour sending/receiving.

POS systems

POS interface for seamless order transmission.

Rebates

Consumer product catalog.

Unique florist products

Credit Card clearing services

Marketing co-op

Website hosting

Website directory listing

Wholesale flowers

--------------------------

Please don't re-hash the usual issues. I'm simply presenting a list of services offered by WSs.

Each of the items above can easily be obtained through independent sources, except for national clearinghouse, electronic order exchange and rebates.

For florists who want a one-stop source for everything above, WSs are extremely convenient.

I don't think anyone should quit a WS if it imperils their finances, OTOH, purchasing the full array of services has its price.

Goldie - the comment about 'no sensible discussion' is about right. Most florists have dug in on the issue and can't grasp that WS work well for some and not so well for others.

If you have a large volume of orders to get out, they're a valuable, efficient tool.

For florists who want a one-stop source for everything above, WSs are extremely convenient.

Goldie - the comment about 'no sensible discussion' is about right. Most florists have dug in on the issue and can't grasp that WS work well for some and not so well for others.

If you have a large volume of orders to get out, they're a valuable, efficient tool.

Thank you Cathy!

Much to the dismay of some FC members. Using a WS works well for our shop. I think the key is to take advantage of the opportunities that fit well with your business.

Rules and regulations to keep members in check and on the same page.

Most here will probably look at it as a negative, but I look at it as a positive.

We're missing the point

If a wire service performed as they did before rebates and allowing membership to non-florists [sending only] there would be a great advantage to having a strong wireservice, maybe even two.

In the begining, the wire service made it possible to increase flower sales. The Internet now is an alternate.

The Wire Service advertised.
They offered services not readily available to non-members.

Up until the advent of 800 numbers and the Internet, the Wire Service was an invaluable tool.

I have been a proponant of being wire service free but for the last year and a half, I have been with Teleflora. It's just less hassle. And I know because I was wire service free for at least 5 years.

Now I make sure that I do not incur any additional labor cost in filling a wire order because my payroll is there whether they fill or not. The day I have to hire additional labor to handle the wires incoming, they I will think differently, or will restrict how many orders I allow to come in.

I am a bare bones member and I grit my teeth when I have to pay for Quality.

The biggest loss if the wire serivces disappear will be advertising and providing an efficient service to our customers.

Tom, I disagree, we're not missing the point. A shop either belongs, or not, as they see fit and what works with their business model.

If one belongs begrudgingly, then one should seriously consider dropping the service entirely. Just like florists have had to evolve their businesses, wire services have as well. The wire service model of today is where it is at, it won't be going back.

We're a bare bones member most of the time, and honestly, we're happy being a member of a wire service. There may be things I don't agree with, however, I still chose to remain a member.

I have a hard time understanding why something that is a relatively small part of most flower shop businesses gets the lions share of a florist's attention. And yes, I know there are those that disagree with me. And that's ok too.

Cathy, great list of reasons for belonging.

WS Benefits (note: not all benefits apply to all services)

National/International Network with a database of affiliated florists. Clearinghouse services guarantee payment.

Affiliate marketing whereby agents sell your products and you sell theirs.

Electronic order exchange for 24 hour sending/receiving.

POS systems

POS interface for seamless order transmission.

Rebates

Consumer product catalog.

Unique florist products

Credit Card clearing services

Marketing co-op

Website hosting

Website directory listing

Wholesale flowers

--------------------------

Please don't re-hash the usual issues. I'm simply presenting a list of services offered by WSs.

Each of the items above can easily be obtained through independent sources, except for national clearinghouse, electronic order exchange and rebates.

I don't think anyone should quit a WS if it imperils their finances, OTOH, purchasing the full array of services has its price.

All of these can be done independently.....true. But more true, they can be done more efficiently, and more economically, and more ethically, and more supportively of the floral industry, independently. Unfortunately, there are many florists that either don't have the knowledge or resources or time or ambition to do this independently. That is where the WS comes in to take advantage of those conditions. A divide will exist for a long, long time on this issue. It is a constant tug-of-war and the WS demons have created a wall of divide among florists. I believe that the majority of florists will unite and eliminate the problem eventually. It took time for the giant to grow, it will take time for the giant to die. I am working diligently and patiently for that day.

I think it's a great thread chezbloom. I am not planning on ever having a wire service but I have some thoughts based on talking about it to florists I've worked for.

I think a lot of people (especially ones who have been around a while) think they aren't a "real florist" unless they have a WS. One I talked to is afraid of not having a selection guide. She's also not computer savvy (her words) and doesn't even know how to surf the web. She represents a lot of people I think.
So it's fear. Most of these florists are angry at the WS but afraid to quit.

But it's interesting to read the replies.

I was referring to the post below:

Originally Posted by Carrington
Chezbloom - I'm not sure they'd go out of business but some of them might make less money. My personal thought is that florists can't and indeed shouldn't give up wire ... for a zillion and one reasons but that doesn't mean they should just keep silent. Florists who are still in wire actually do have the power to effect change and as such should fight back from within and make their voices heard. Letters like this may not get instant results but at least it shows not everyone is ground down. And yes I'd sign it if I was a florist.

You misunderstood what Carrington, who is no fan of WS herself, meant. She was responding to your post in which you said Cathy's letter to WS executiveswon't work.

She responded to your remark by saying "...florists can't and indeed shouldn't give up wire" expressing her opinion that there may still be a chance that WS might change a course. She is not saying that no one should be WS-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.