www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Florists Upbeat on Future Prospects for Their Business

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Retail florists that have weathered and survived the U.S. economic recession are surprisingly upbeat on their future prospects for the florist business.

In a 2011 survey, 55 percent of florist shops in the U.S. described their future prospects as “Good” or “Excellent,” a little more than one-third described their prospects as “Fair,” and only 9 percent described their future prospects as “Poor” or “Very Poor.”

This upbeat perception extended across many regions of the U.S., and across most florist-size groups (although larger-sized shops and florist shop owners under the age of 35 had more positive prospects for the future).

That’s just one of numerous “stories” from the recently-released Prince & Prince U.S. Retail Florist Tracking Survey that tracks 200 metrics over time of the retail florist business.

This “Future Prospects” rating from about 900 randomly selected florist shops across the U.S. is more than just an aloof perception, stated Tom Prince, president and co-founder of Prince & Prince. The future prospects measure has real meaning, as it is strongly intercorrelated with two other measures of “success” of the florists business:

1) Year-over-year sales-growth percentage

2) Profit (loss) before taxes percentage.

This indicates that the future-prospects rating (a self-reported perceptual measure) is actually tied to the economic performance of the retail florist business.

In a statement, a company spokesperson said, "At Prince & Prince, we think that this upbeat message about the future, coming directly from florists, will provide encouragement for the entire floral industry." The statement said the company received the same consensus from wholesale-florist management teams it had contacted.

I think that these tough economic times have forced florists to decide if they want to be a sustainable, profit-making business or if they should close up. I know we have looked hard at our financials and all our operations and made some hard decisions. We have focused on making the business a lean, mean, profit making machine... where design can flourish:)

Reactions: Gina B Kellogg
I spent the last 5 months of 2011 and all of 2012 taking a chain saw to our business which included fire FTD who we had a 46 year history with and throwing out their technology while adding MAS. I closed my last branch in June 2012. End result The main location was up 15% for the year and we had the best bottom line in 6 years. Also we were up 20% for December and we did more out of one location than I did out of two last year. And with 2 days to go in January we are running up 30% against last January so things are looking much better.

Once your POV changes, then you can sit back see what needs to be done. Florist will make to most money ever in the next 2 years. There are 2 types of profit, for others or for us. Forward Profit only.....