Flowers is in the top 10 most searched items on the net. Be there for those customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analyzer or risk taker...

Interesting direction this conversation has taken. This all started out with a statement made that "flowers is the 10th most searched item on the net". Funny, but no one asked what the other top 9 items were.

We have had florists tell good things that they have gotten from having a web presence and we have had florists tell us how much they have already spent and how little of a return they got. I have had local florists tell me personnally how poorly they are doing from their site and have had florists on this board and the other tell me how great they are doing with their site and when I look at both, I find the sites are almost identical.

Yes, I am probably a little more analyzing than the average florist, as Steve has indicated, but as a sales manager and a marketing manager in a previous life, you had better be sure of where you are going before you become a "risk taker" and jump out of the plane.

I believe that there are trade offs in almost everything we do in business. You take on a new product line or your hire a new employee, you had better look at them both closely because both are going to be part of YOUR company.

In the very early years, customers had to come to your shop to order or purchase flowers, either for themselves or to send to others. Then along came technology and the telephone was invented and these same customers could call you and order flowers instead of coming to your place of business. Hense, charge accounts were created and cash flo was changed. Cause and effect.

Then along came wire services and the capability of florists to send orders out passed their delivery areas, with the added capabilities, came added costs and even in later years the addition of competition from outside the industry. Cause and effect.

Now we have the internet and many florists look at this in many different ways. As Steve indicated, you should be willing to take these risks or get passed by. I'm still poising the theory, what have you gained? A customer in Florida who wants to send an order to someone in Illinois and by passes the local florist and calls direct to Illinois sure makes the receiving florist happy. He or she tells everyone that they just saved 27% discount. However at the same time a customer in Illinois does the same thing and calls directly to a florist in Florida. The sales for the florist in Illinois just went down 20% plus approximately 6% more <$3 rebate> for not being able to send the order. Both florists spent money to get on the internet and yet still belong to the wire services. Cause and effect.

As has been indicated by several florists at different times, when they analyze the customers that are using their website, many customers still call and order over the phone and the orders end up being for local delivery. In other words, it is a convenience for the customer and the "pretty pictures" help them order. Many have determined that these are not new customers, but current customers who are using the site instead of coming to the shop. Much like the introduction of the telephone.

The point I'm trying to make is it seems that all we are doing is trading customers. Some may be trading a local Illinois customer for a "direct dial" Florida customer. Or trading a routine phone order for a special order website generated order. It is for this reason that florists should take the time to analyze before taking the risk. Websites can be a very beneficial tool, but do require alot of work and planning and florists who don't have the time to do it properly and figure they can pass the creation and maintainance off to a WS will pay dearly in the end. Just my opinion and will gladly listen to any rebuttal.

carol said:
FIND OUT WHAT MY CUSTOMER'S WANT.. AND THEN GIVE IT TO THEM Carol
I have read "most" of this thread...and I too can not compete with the other guys...

All I can say, is that, by following what Carol said above, is that my out bound order volume was up 4.3% in 1Q4, and 3.6% for MOther's Week alone in 2Q4.

No, it's not up to 5 year ago levels, but it is increasing...

There is no doubt that I have lost local customers who use to wire out orders thru my shops due to the internet and I will continue to lose these customers as more and more people feel comfortable in ordering via the web site or by finding a local florist on the web and calling them. And the flip side is as Griff said I am receiving orders comeing from other parts of the country via my web site or by phone because they found me on the web. And yes right now I still belong to wire service but that is today, I can not tell you that I will belong to them 5 years from now. the web and web sites are going to replace the wire services. There will always be a few older people who never embraced technology that will want to use a florist to send an order but I do not see it as a profit makeing business for us 5 years from now. Successful businesses that have long history have learned to reinvent themselves. This industry laid in a somewhat dormant state for years it is now reinventing itself.
Maybe I am wrong in the direction I am trying to go if so I will be a casualty of not reinventing my business correctly but I know this I will not be a casualty of what the wire businesses did to me.

Websites will change your business philosophy

Steve, I don't know if the internet will replace wire services. Only florists can make that happen. As long as there are florists who are willing to pay money to belong to a "club" for whatever reason, there will be at least ONE WS left.

But, for most florists, having an independent website <one not managed by a WS> will cause a change in business philosophy. Now I'm speaking as a member of the older generation and from a selling standpoint, I would much rather have the customer come into my shop rather than look at pictures on a website. Why? Because the customer can see exactly what I have today to fill their order. On a website, your offerings are limited to the last time you updated the images. Or conversly, you may have offerings, that you are currently out of stock on.

Best example is some websites are showing multiple pictures of rose arrangements in different colors. Now you can put all the disclaimers you want to about "we reserve the right to substitute", but the consumer has now settled on peach roses and you don't have any today. Or how about the TF image of 3 different color roses in the same vase arranged.

Secondly, and most important, websites make the customer very aware of "price shopping". If there are multiple florists <and order gathers> listed for your town, the customer has the opportunity to truely compare prices. If that order gather is offering "free delivery" or 15% discount on any items and you can't for obvious reasons, then you are working at a great disadvantage. RC in Dayton is slicking his chops these days because he can offer 2 dozen roses arranged at such a low price to anyone wanting flowers delivered in Dayton or Cincinnati.

Steve, as great as this new tool can be, it also offers alot of pit falls or trade offs and florists have to be aware of all of them. It truely is not a panacea!

Griff we all near to learn to manage our web sites better by adding specials and changeing photos and were possible shooting our own pics vs useing wire service photos. And monitoring our web sites needs to become a regualar activeity just like monitoring our coolers and our store displays. As for customers coming in store that is not were the majority of our business comes from now and as families continue to be more stress for time the convience of the web is becomeing more important. People are makeing purchases while at work because they do not have time to stop on there lunch hours or on their way home. I believe our job is to make it easy for them to do business with us rahter it be my haveing a store in a good location , and easy to find ad in the phone book or a easy to use non wire service web site. :musical:

Just having an information page on the web about your shop is better than none Griff. One can easly create a page and get themselves 10M of server space and upload (FTP) the page. Netscape composer can be used or Microsoft front page or which ever software one likes to use.

It's not that hard to do and once you start playing with the ideas you will find that the cost is not outragous.
There are many folks here that can help you out to achieve just the simplist information page but you have to get yourself a domain name first.

Slow to the web

If anyone was slow to get a web presence it was us. I was slow to computers and the Internet period. The last computer I was using you had to put a floppy in to get DOS and Windows were just something you hated to wash. But, today if not for our website I am convinced we would have already gone under. I have become an Internet junkie in a way and I do lots of buying and searching on it. I completely understand people who prefer to shop or browse via the Internet. I do most of my Christmas shopping every year on the Internet. I think advertising in places that work for you is essential to people finding you. Florist Internet Directories are a dime a dozen and some work and most don't at least for us.

As far as the various color choices and flower types go and having the same flowers in stock that are shown on your website - well I was worried more than is reasonable about that, but now after years of experience I know it is a non-issue. Once in a great while you get that person who is dysfunctionally picky-oony and you get to a point where you realize they are one of THOSE customers and you let it go. The other 99.9% are flexible and if you know how to lead them they follow just fine.

A large majority of folks view our website and then call. I do the same when I buy off the Internet.

As far as comparing prices to OG's sites, well, in my experience it is quite uncommon. Personally I think that is very classless and tacky. When I find a specific drill my husband wants on Circuit City's site which I prefer to order from as I can go pick it up at the real store and avoid shopping as it is ready and waiting for me I do not ask them why their's cost more than the Internet store www.tools.com (not a real site). I find huge discrepancies in price on the same item, but I pay what it is on any given site I choose and to question it makes me look really dumb. Perhaps other think this way to as people just do not do that when they call us.

Price comparisons on the internet

Patty, on any recent survey I have ever seen as to why people buy on the internet, the two things most mentioned is convenence and less price. In other words many consumers think they are going to be able to buy it cheaper on the internet. So if decide to send flowers to Aunt Mary and when you "dial up" her town on the internet and there are four "florists" shown there and three are showing a dozen roses at $60 and the fourth shows $60 but is offering a "special offer" of 10% off on all flower purchases, which one do you think the general consumer will choose? Esspecially if all the pictures look alike.

Unlike WS directories where most florists generally set their WS prices to be competitive with everyone else listed in the same area, website pricing is going to be different. This is one of the things that merchants first found when they set up shop in malls. The merchants were happy that there were all these potential customers walking around the mall, but also found they had to be be very careful what products they offered. Price comparing is much easier on the internet.

Griff lets see if you are one of those 6 florist on the net you at lease get look at if as you say they are price shopping but if you are not there you do not even have a chance does not make any sense to me

It is just a different point of view

Steve, I can't blame you. Sometimes I don't understand myself. But when I look around here at various flower shops that are much larger than I and I see one flower shop that has taken down their website after almost 15 months in operation. It obviously did not get them the desired results and they spent some big bucks. I see three florists in the same town all with websites all hooked to the same WS and two are beginning to play price games and another florist that I consider a very good friend just told me she is currently working on her website and it will only be about her wedding work. This is a full service florist and she is about to plunk down about $2,000 for an information website on only weddings. To me, this doesn't make much sense.

If I'm going to spend the money, I would prefer doing it so that it best benefits my company, which is the point I have been trying to make. Some of you have done your homework and others obviously haven't.

There is an old story about two bulls on top of a hill overlooking a young herd of cows at the bottom of the hill. The young bull is telling the old bull that he thinks they should streak down the hill and "make love" to as many cows as they can before the "ladies" figure out what is going on. The old bull replied that they should walk down the hill casually and quietly and then "make love" to everyone of the "ladies" one at a time and provide each and everyone as much enjoyment as they are providing them.

Steve, we both want to go down the hill and enjoy what is at the bottom. It is just a matter of philosophy of how fast we get there!

Been thinking a while about this thread and the beginning.....about flowers being 10th. No one asked what about flowers were people asking?
*florist flowers
*garden flowers
*flower facts
*what is that flower?
*flowers as gifts
*flower allergies

Well that divides this up quite a few ways.

Judy

10 reasons

Judy, I agree with you. That's why I was surprised early that no one asked what the first 9 subjects people used the internet for.

What I think is the important fact about this whole discussion is no one has been able to point to any facts that indicate that people looking for flowers on the internet are NEW customers. I still believe these are the same customers who are just using a different method to pruchase flowers. And if so, that doesn't really make the industry grow.

I *tried* to point out in this post http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20977&postcount=12 that "Flowers" do not appear to be among the top ten search terms on Google or Yahoo!

Griff, I believe this thread is attempting to discuss 'being there' on the web for consumers, not 'growing the industry' (which is a related but different topic.)

Just as many florists do a lousy job of merchandising their stores, they also do a lousy job of merchandising their websites. They expect to simply open their doors or publish their sites and be found. Not true in either case.

You said 'I still believe these are the same customers who are just using a different method to pruchase flowers.' Even so, without a site, you haven't positioned your company to be found by these shoppers. Don't you want their orders for your area? How else will they easily find the items and services your company offers?

The use of the web to purchase flowers is growing dramatically.

Failing to have a site that is fresh, timely and optimized for your target market leaves a company entirely out of the running in this growing market.

"we both want to go down the hill and enjoy what is at the bottom. It is just a matter of philosophy of how fast we get there!" If you don't get there fast enough, the other bulls may have already sufficiently satisfied the ladies! :rolleyes:

Not a matter of getting there fast enough.

Rosie, sorry I missed your comments. I always enjoy talking with you and again you have proven that you have a very good way with words. I don't disagree with your comments. I just am not buying into the "gold rush fever" to have to get into the internet as you and some of the others have stated.

Here is some of my reasoning. These reasons pertain to me and my business and may not pertain to anyone elses. I'm the only florist in a town of approx 15,000. I have been tracking phone orders for over 15 months now and anyone that calls us from out of our area, we ask how they found us. One to two calls a week are from people who have found us on the internet from some yellow page listing. We DON'T have a website, but they still call us. They don't know anything about us or what we can and can't do, but they still call us. I don't belong to a WS, but they don't seem to care or even ask if we are. ALL florists are currently benefiting in orders because of the internet, whether they have a website or not.

Some have commented that the internet is cheaper than newspaper advertising and direct mail and more flexible than yellow page advertising. This may be true but in newspaper advertising, however, if you pay $125 for a one time small ad in the local paper you are looking to find possible new customers and if that newspaper has a daily circulation of 30,000 homes and you get a return of ONLY one half of one percent, you stand to get 150 orders. In direct mail, you are trying to do the same thing. In most cases you are trying to get new customers or stimulate current customers to buy flowers. In yellow page advertising, you are paying to just have "flower buyers" find you. They will call you when they need a florist. In all these cases, we have been using these methods of advertising to either find new customers or stimulate existing customers to buy from us.

Creation of a website, however, strikes me as a different situation. Here the customer has already decided to send flowers and they have to be an "intense" buyer because of the search procedure needed to find you before completing transaction. At the current time this is a real small market. They are talking 2 to 3% of consumer purchases are made through the internet outside of major holidays. Now I understand this market is growing and I understand the potential of this marketing approach. But for the average florist who has to make decisions as to where they spend their current advertising dollars and to get the best results TODAY and to go after the larger markets, they still seem to be the traditional methods.

Now let's talk about cost. It does matter whether you had a site designed for $400 or $500 and you got you site name registered for $45 for the next 3 years and the monthly hosting fee is only $20 a month. The whole point of this is that the cost to maintain and upgrade your website is going to be an ongoing cost. In newspaper and direct mail you can stop or change your program anytime you don't think you are getting your money's worth. Websites aren't that easy. This is something you have to be really committed to and the actually cost could really mount up before any results start take effect. This will be a more sizable committement that some florists are willing to do at this time. It is for that reason that many florists have decided to "hook up" to a WS website which I really think is a mistake, but that is just my opinion. I guess what I'm saying is that it is not just a black and white issue for many florists.

So Rosie, my love, I'm not that concerned that some other bulls will get down to the bottom of the hill before I do, but rather I have any money and energy left once I do get to the bottom. At my age, I'm just as concerned that I will get to the bottom and FORGET what I was looking for when I get there!

Have a great week!

Status
Not open for further replies.