FTD has a new drop in V2 for next Valentine's Day!

watched it and shook my head... I've used drop ins from Greenleaf especially at Mother's Day but they still need help and some extra to hold them securely in the container. These are just sad and wouldn't make it in one piece to the recipient.. sad..

It's the dumbing down of the industry for one thing, and another perhaps, as quality shops leave the wires, they need products they can sell that the delivery guy can do.

Next, they'll have a consumer focuses video like this, as they're going to be more drop ship focused than florist delivered, and that day is coming fast.

the Aussies have a saying: "If you throw enough @@@@ against a wall, some of it has gotta stick."

problem for FDS is most of us now have Teflon walls and its harder and harder to find the right type of wall....

now if we could just get the rest of the mom and pop hard working slobs (to quote TOTO) to join in... half the battle could be won.

It's the dumbing down of the industry for one thing, and another perhaps, as quality shops leave the wires, they need products they can sell that the delivery guy can do.

Next, they'll have a consumer focuses video like this, as they're going to be more drop ship focused than florist delivered, and that day is coming fast.

Just yet another example of the "dumbing down".........most florists don't even realize it.

Reactions: CHR
Wouldn't the customer appreciate the "after" picture as a heads up to what is expected to be delivered. That is crazy. And yes dealing with the lowest common denominator seems to be what the big companies are doing more and more.

Reactions: CHR
On a realated note, I'm thinking of ordering pre-made mixed bouquets this year for Valentines. I'm thinking I could drop them in a vase, fluff them, add some tree fern and ruscus and be done. Maybe add stargazers and bells of Ireland for the next price up. I definitely need to dumb down my holiday because my time is stretched way too thin and I spend way too long on mixed vases. So, I don't think it's a terrible idea actually, although the ones in their video are not as pretty as mine will be of course.

On a realated note, I'm thinking of ordering pre-made mixed bouquets this year for Valentines. I'm thinking I could drop them in a vase, fluff them, add some tree fern and ruscus and be done. Maybe add stargazers and bells of Ireland for the next price up. I definitely need to dumb down my holiday because my time is stretched way too thin and I spend way too long on mixed vases. So, I don't think it's a terrible idea actually, although the ones in their video are not as pretty as mine will be of course.

Sarah Jane,
I would highly recommend you streamline your holiday selection, but I do not recommend that you order a pre-made from anyone. If you are working the V-day by yourself or with limited staff then make your own "pre-mades" at target price levels and only offer those. Raise the price on custom arrangements to make it worth your while. We always offer flowers for any budget, but for custom work, we raise our minimum order by 150% on V-day. $100.00 and up. Below $100, they pick one of our V-Day specials.

Tell your customers, for $xx.xx we have X, Y, or Z, or if you want to really blow her away, I could do a beautiful custom arrangement from $100-$175. That way, if you have a helper, you can have him/her cranking out the standard bouquets per your recipe while you work on the major items.

I find that most of my V-day customers either know what they want or they know what they want to spend. The ones who know what they want usually pay what it takes. The ones who know what they want to spend just want to get it over with.

We pre-make everything we can. We schedule flower arrival days, greening days, adding flower days, and done. We create our own selection of items and prices. Containers are all in, we are deciding on flowers next week. We will create the mock up the 2nd week of January and take the pictures, figure price, and name it. We all sell from a price list with pictures. This year we will be turning off everything on our website except the pre-made designs as of the Saturday before Valentine's day. We will also have some mixed vases that we make up along the way but for the most part our goal is to sell out of our designs. We have price points from $25.99 - $79.99. Then we have our half dozens, dozens, and ultimate dozen. This will be our first V-day without the wire service and we are looking forward to a smooth one.

I like the drop and go idea Sarah but I know if we ordered gerb and lily ones they would want carnation and daisy ones lol.

We always order a lot of premade wrapped bouquets for valentine's day, never enough! They are usually gone by the holiday! Great for drop ins, esp. If they have pretty fabric around them, you can stuff that in the vase too and hardly add anything but ribbon! Only problem is some of the flowers are "seconds" but is worth the little we have to replace! Even inexperienced "designers" can wrap or put in vases! Daisy & tulip bunches are popular too. Maybe you could check out the little gift bouquets that gallup & stribling orchids offers & let me know what you think. Shipping is high and i wonder if they would sell.