Not open for further replies.

Bluebellinata

Jun 19, 2007
Oundle - Peterborough, UK
State / Prov
Northamptonshire
Hello dear forum,

Florist shop in the quaint and essentially English Market town of Oundle
(known for its public school)...and the world - famous CONKER CHAMPIONSHIP in ASHTON...coming up soon!!!

Shop and owner have been in Oundle for almost 8 years!

As a newcomer to this chat forum - and keen to communicate on all the topics in the florist world - as we see communication as the sound basis for constant improvement and development.....we are looking forward to all the information available on this broad spectrum!

Our aim is to provide best customer service; focus on high standard and best quality and be open to innovations while loving the job!

Reactions: 1 person
1) What is a Conker?

2) How do you pronounce "Oundle"?

Ah, from the U.K. :)

V

My mistake... I have a friend who worked in Peterborough in the UK.

V

Reactions: 1 person
Welcome to the Flowerchat UK Forum.
You have my vote, so hope you will soon be a full member.

CONKER = horse chestnut .....conker tree is a chestnut tree
but conker can also mean "hard seed"

So. . .you have a "horse chestnut" championship???:dunno:

So. . .you have a "horse chestnut" championship???:dunno:

Cokers have been played for years by British children in the autumn. The fruit of the Horse Chestnut Tree ( the conker) falls at this time. The Children peel off any outer green covering that is left leaving the seed, a nice round conker with a hard shell and softer inside.
The children make a hole through the shell one side to the other. (often using their mother's knitting needles - to her displeasure) once they have the hole they thread string through it and knot it on the underside. Holding the top string and letting the conker hang loose like a pendulum you have a "weapon" with which to play the game of conkers.
The idea is that you take it in turn to hit your opponents conker. One will hold their conker suspended whist the other holds theirs by a shorter part of the string and takes one try at hitting the other conker. Once they have had their turn their opponent has a turn. The winner is the one who still has a conker when their opponents is smashed.
I played this as a child and loved it. Sadly there are not as much Horse Chestnut trees as there used to be so many city children don't get to play it. Here in the countryside it is still just as popular with children.

Cokers have been played for years by British children in the autumn. The fruit of the Horse Chestnut Tree ( the conker) falls at this time. The Children peel off any outer green covering that is left leaving the seed, a nice round conker with a hard shell and softer inside.
The children make a hole through the shell one side to the other. (often using their mother's knitting needles - to her displeasure) once they have the hole they thread string through it and knot it on the underside. Holding the top string and letting the conker hang loose like a pendulum you have a "weapon" with which to play the game of conkers.
The idea is that you take it in turn to hit your opponents conker. One will hold their conker suspended whist the other holds theirs by a shorter part of the string and takes one try at hitting the other conker. Once they have had their turn their opponent has a turn. The winner is the one who still has a conker when their opponents is smashed.
I played this as a child and loved it. Sadly there are not as much Horse Chestnut trees as there used to be so many city children don't get to play it. Here in the countryside it is still just as popular with children.

Fascinating and quaint at the same time. Is any of this on YouTube?

I don't know RJD, although I would imagin someone has recorder the competitons. They certainly get spots on the news from time to time. Unfortunately some schools are banning conkers from the playground. Which is really sad. They say that playing conkers are dangerous as children can be hit by them. - then they encourage the children to play sports like cricket, hockey and rounders (like your baseball) in which you often get hit by the very hard ball! We have seen it all before though. When I was at school they banned hoops because they thought they were dangerous!
What sort of games do American children play in the playground?

Excellent

Perfect timing -

Plants & Child’s Play: Conkers Season!

(Julie at Human Flower Project never misses a beat. :)

CHR, that is excellent, it is much better that my attempt at a description. When I was at school if anyone was found with a varnished conker they were not allowed to play as we thought that was "cheating! but all sorts of other methods as your link describes were allowed. Such fun, brings back happy memories of childhood. My grandson believes he has a "winner" at the moment (he is 9) so I am off to inspect his conker tomorrow, it's lovely to see it passing down the generations. :thumbsup

Conker Festival on YOU TUBE

I have never looked for it on YouTube yet - but shall...if I find anything I let you know! Some of the SPORT CHANNELS on TV apparently broadcast the Ashton championship....not sure which one though? My husband ( he is American) is sure it would be on YOUTUBE.
:~)

Status
Not open for further replies.