Having Fun with Just Flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.. for the most part - Why? I know you have a point...

and please - I don't want to argue with you anymore - I see your point - But I will not agree with you.

Can we be friends? Hi I'm Tammie!

And yes I sell emotion! How much do you love her? I am good at it! And it works for me and my business - filling og's does not.. that's all.

hi tammie, my name is .... oh nm. ;)

this was not an argument, just a airing of ideas....

my point is... you are unwilling to aid the OG competition but will help your local competition. Isn't it the same? in my mind it is. Each one is out to take sales away from and when you think about it, your local competitor takes more sales away from you than the OG's.

just consider it.

you can sell emotion, but you can't manage a business on emotions. If you did, you could never fire a employee.

joe

OK< I lied....
my point is... you are unwilling to aid the OG competition but will help your local competition. Isn't it the same? in my mind it is.

joe
Not the same to me, we're B&M shops that have to (should) stick together for our mutual benefit, we can help each other. An OG has nothing of value to offer me.

BOSS<< back to shutting up

Why do you fill them in the first place??????

We have not accepted OG orders for over 12 years. We only accept orders from traditional florist. I wont fill an order and facilitate the OG. If we all just quit filling there orders (they cant make you fill them) then they would have to go away. In addtition I dont beleive that 1. receivers are senders 2. It will help cover cost (27% discount no matter how you cut it is a losing order) 3. Why would we want to break our backs to make them look good filling an order.

We no longer get any orders from OG. They just quit trying. Incomming orders are like crack cocaine. You think you are doing great and cant figure out why you are not making money. Per the "Profit Minded Florist" book, 10% profit margin is the goal. When you take order at a 27% discount, you are losing 17% even if you are running your business the way it should be (good luck on that anyway).

Kick the habbitt.............. you will be happier. Wire services have there place. You must consider them a "Tool" and use it as such, to you advantage not to your disadvantage.

Supporting your local businesses makes for a stronger, healthier economy. That just makes good sense to me.

V

We have not accepted OG orders for over 12 years. We only accept orders from traditional florist. I wont fill an order and facilitate the OG. If we all just quit filling there orders (they cant make you fill them) then they would have to go away. In addtition I dont beleive that 1. receivers are senders 2. It will help cover cost (27% discount no matter how you cut it is a losing order) 3. Why would we want to break our backs to make them look good filling an order.

We no longer get any orders from OG. They just quit trying. Incomming orders are like crack cocaine. You think you are doing great and cant figure out why you are not making money. Per the "Profit Minded Florist" book, 10% profit margin is the goal. When you take order at a 27% discount, you are losing 17% even if you are running your business the way it should be (good luck on that anyway).

Kick the habbitt.............. you will be happier. Wire services have there place. You must consider them a "Tool" and use it as such, to you advantage not to your disadvantage.

do you honestly believe that if flower shops stopped filling orders for the well known OG's that they won't evolve their business's to compete against you in a different manner?

Do you really believe that with internet access, small flower shops can't have a large OG presence anywhere they choose? I bet I know a small shop that does just that? What would stop the shop from setting up a gateway url in my small little town? nothing is stopping a business like that.

the internet, the box stores have changed America. As small business' we must adapt to those realities.

Until corporate America starts producing again, we will continue to see the chain stores infiltrate small town America.

joe

. When you take order at a 27% discount, you are losing 17% even if you are running your business the way it should be (good luck on that anyway).

Kick the habbitt.............. you will be happier.

I'm not - losing a dime on an incoming order....I do them because they are indeed profitable in my world of dollars and sense.

and why would I want to kick a profitable habit???

"my point is... you are unwilling to aid the OG competition but will help your local competition. Isn't it the same? in my mind it is. Each one is out to take sales away from and when you think about it, your local competitor takes more sales away from you than the OG's. "

Merely responding to this part.

Victoria

btw: i just got a check from FTD for $399.xx on $626 of sales. Even if my COGS and VC are 50 pct, I actually come out $86 ahead had I not made those 20 extra sales.

joe

Wow... 86 bux on TWENTY orders. That's a windfall! NOT.

I understand your point, Joe. Any money made is not money lost. I get that.

BUT

Really.... under a hundred bux pocketed on over 600 bux worth of orders? All that work for EIGHTY-SIX bux?

Tim - North Port Floral

Tim - I've found it's more wise to make a living than try for a killing, and making killings in business is pretty rare.

How do I say this nicely?

Guess that wasn't so nice...Sorry.....no coffee yet

remember

opinions vary

BUT

Really.... under a hundred bux pocketed on over 600 bux worth of orders? All that work for EIGHTY-SIX bux?

Tim - North Port Floral

any money earned is money that reduces the fixed cost burden of a business.

more importantly, that $86 represents a 14 pct return on investment.

how are your investments doing these days? I don't know anyone who invests money making that type of return, including me.

joe

btw: i just got a check from FTD for $399.xx on $626 of sales. Even if my COGS and VC are 50 pct, I actually come out $86 ahead had I not made those 20 extra sales.

or lets look where my break even point is.....

say COGS and other VC totals 35 pct. or $219.10.

do Break even point = FC/VC per unit-Selling Price per unit

or $227/$219/20-$626/20

or $227/ 10.95-31.30

or $227/20.35 = 11.15 orders

so my Break even point was 11.15 orders, since I actually received 20 orders for April, I made money.

joe

BUT

Tim - North Port Floral

btw tim, that $86 was just an example showing what a 50 pct Cogs&VC would yield.

my actual yield would be closer $219.10.

which equals a 35 pct return on my investment.

think about it this way (and in reverse) I still have to pay all my fixed costs, even if I didn't fill these 20 orders.

that $219.10 actually could go straight into my pocket.

does this help explain it better?

joe

Question Joe...

Do you Fill to Value according to your contract, thus losing 27% +/- off the top?

Tim - North Port Floral

He doesn't LOSE a penny - he makes money. So do I.

Why is this so hard to understand?????

Yes of course we, as well as all Professional florists fill to full value - our name is on it.

But Joe can answer for himself tho I would suspect he is running out of breath from explaining the same thing over and over and over and over.

Insisting over and over that there is no money to be made does not make it true.

It only means you can't do the math.

You know - I don't even play numbers with Joe because it would be taking a knife to a fight with a very skilled gunfighter. But thankfully he dumbs it down so *some* of us can understand it.

Sorry again, but sheesh.....some of this passion blindness baloney is so ridiculous the only thing more ridiculous is me wasting the time answering them.

Picnic time - enjoy!

Question Joe...

Do you consider your membership fees FC or VC ?
Your per-order fees, MSG fees, Dove/Merc/Bloomnet Fees, etc. VC?
Do you Fill to Value according to your contract, thus losing 27% +/- off the top?

Tim - North Port Floral

or lets look where my break even point is.....

say COGS and other VC totals 35 pct. or $219.10.

do Break even point = FC/VC per unit-Selling Price per unit

or $227/$219/20-$626/20

or $227/ 10.95-31.30

or $227/20.35 = 11.15 orders

so my Break even point was 11.15 orders, since I actually received 20 orders for April, I made money.

joe

Tim, first I don't mind explaining this stuff. I think it is really important that florists make good business decisions based on profit and loss.

To answer your question above, you need to re-read my previous Break-even analysis.

That equation answers your question.

My break even point for the month of April was 11 orders.

The break even point accounted for the monthly fixed membership fees as well as my CogS and other VC associated with filling those incoming wire orders.

So to answer your questions, yes Fixed Costs (i.e. Member ship fees)were accounted for, Variable costs were accounted for and the orders were filled to value.

Now the added benefit of being WS affiliated is (well not with FTD because I don't send through them, but through TF) is I earn a 20 pct commission on sending outgoing orders which offsets the 20 pct I give up. Actually, I send more than receive, so part of the 7 pct clearing house commission is paid for as well.

In addition, I earn anywhere from $150-$200+ish every month on rebates, so that money helps offset my monthly membership fees.

That revenue was not factored into my break even analysis, therefore, my WS is actually more profitable than I have demonstrated with the Break even anaylsis.

joe

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.