flower_child

I Suck Cuz I'm Banned
Aug 8, 2007
Maplewood
State / Prov
MN
Business: Daisy Floral Design

Type of Business: Home-Based Florist, Weddings & Special Events Only

About Me: I do weddings and special events, and grew up in the business and LOVE IT !!!

Reactions: 1 person
Of course I forgot to mention...

In the time I was able to browse the forums, everybody here seems so willing to help, and so very friendly!

I would really like to be a part of the group and hope to one day become a valuable contributor!

Welcome to FlowerChat!

Is your home-based business licensed and registered?

As someone who also grew up in the biz, I'm curious to know if you moved from retail to special events, or did you grow up in the event side of the business?

If you did switch, what prompted that decision?

Ryan

Licensed?

We do not need anything in MN to run a retail flower business except registration with the MN Secretary of State, and yes we have that along with our sales tax permit...

We had a retail shop for years, and found it very hard to keep it profitable, moved to home based and would never go back to retail.

Business: Daisy Floral Design

Type of Business: Home-Based Florist, Weddings & Special Events Only

About Me: I do weddings and special events, and grew up in the business and LOVE IT !!!

Hi,

Are you Daisy Floral in Maplewood and Bloomington
(651) 578-6764-Maplewood
(952) 835-2228-Bloomington
??????

question on 'rep'

Frustration level growing higher...

What is the goal of this forum in welcoming new users?

Often I find threads, I can read, but am not allowed to post to, as they have a block

There are many good, interesting areas where I would like to contribute but simply cannot access...

I looked back to the original post in this intro forum...

Seems this person has no 'rep' points either...

So I search the forum... for 'Rep Points' and I find a post pertaining to the process of getting the points established...

However, no access to ask any questions

In that post I was able to read "It should take 2-4 average users or 1-2 people with heavier rep power..."

Will New Members Ever Be Granted Access to The Forum?

Will this process take months, weeks?

How long?

These are reasonable questions....

Yes, they are reasonable questions and here is a reasonable answer.
And please, don't take this as being mean.
This forum is for those IN the business. Either a retail, greenhouse, growers, or wholesale florist, employee of either, entities that tie into the retail or wholesale florist business such as John Henry Co (floral related suppliers) etc. There are a great many frank and honest discussions regarding our business including pricing, buying, etc that we do not wish the "public" or those who are not a legitimate retail florist - in other words. Paying taxes as a business, Income taxes as a business, delivering as a business, paying insurances as a business. Yes there are a great many home businesses (I started at my home and moved to retail downtown area) and they do hold legitimate place in the the economy. If you can not prove or we can not establish you as a viable, working florist, then the rep points will not appear and you will not be allowed to post in some threads. I hope that answers that question and if I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the moderators will set it straight.
Again, this is not said with malice...

flower_child,

All of the things that Rhonda said are correct and are reasons why your rep points have not been elevated high enough for you to gain full access to the forums.

We'd like to know a little more about you and your biz if you care to share :)

Do you work full time as a florist or just a few weekends per year?

Are you available for walk-in consultations or is it by appointment only?

How long have you been home based only? How long have you been in the industry?

What do you love about this industry that keeps you in it as a home based florist?

What major problems did you have with your retail storefront that made you decide to make the move to home based?

Do you have a website or a listing on Google/Yahoo?

How do customers find you, advertisements, bridal shows or do you only serve family and close friends?

What would you like to learn from or contribute to flower chat?

felicityflowers...

Thank you for taking the time to reply, of all asnwers to my post, yours is the most helpful, welcoming - and much appreciated!

We'd like to know a little more about you and your biz if you care to share :)

Grew up around flowers - parents always in one garden club or another - we even have a greenhouse in the family home backyard -

Mom has worked as a florist for many, many years, I can remember going with her to work as a youngster, probably learned to tie bows by the age of 5 or 6!

We had a family run flower shop for years in a strip mall, closed it a few years ago, mom retired and I worked for a variety of shops in the twin cities as a designer - Now I am a stay at home dad doing weddings and events only

Do you work full time as a florist or just a few weekends per year?

Work load varies. The most I have done is 3 smaller weddings in a single weekend, but I stay fairly busy with weddings and corporate work (presentations parties etc)

Are you available for walk-in consultations or is it by appointment only?

Mostly I travel to my clients site - or home

How long have you been home based only? How long have you been in the industry?

home based 3 years - in the industy - since age 5 - worked my way thru college...

What major problems did you have with your retail storefront that made you decide to make the move to home based?

We had escalating crime issues (robbed twice over the years), slowing retail trends and mom wanting to 'retire'

Do you have a website or a listing on Google/Yahoo?

I have thought long and hard about the website issue and opted for not having one as I am not interested in day to day floral sales

How do customers find you, advertisements, bridal shows or do you only serve family and close friends?

Strictly word of mouth

What would you like to learn from or contribute to flower chat?

I always like to think of myself as a wide eyed boy wanting to know about everything, so naturally I have many interests and floristry is just one, as such I think I would make a great addition to the forum!

Thank you for asking!

Reactions: 2 people
flower_child,

I know it's frustrating to want to gain full access to the forums and I do hope you understand the need for this system here. This forum is not open to the public and since we do share ideas and information that can be easily misconstrued by members outside the industry keeping members of the general public out is an important concern.

Thank you for your replies. As it seems, many florists in your neck of the woods are experiencing issues with crime and closing their doors, sad as it is.

Sounds to me like you've got floristry in your blood...in my opinion (not that it counts for much ;) ) you are welcome here.

felicityflowers...

I have thought long and hard about the website issue and opted for not having one as I am not interested in day to day floral sales

I think that one sentence is plain enough.

Licensed?

We do not need anything in MN to run a retail flower business except registration with the MN Secretary of State, and yes we have that along with our sales tax permit...

We had a retail shop for years, and found it very hard to keep it profitable, moved to home based and would never go back to retail.

Well, you also need occupancy / use permits from your township/city/county also.

.....?

Does this mean you don't want to be full time, or that you don't want non-event work?

If the latter.. I don't get why that would prevent you from having a website. I'm event only, and get most of my business from the web. I also do print advertising, bridal shows, etc - that's just part of being a legit home-based business.

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking on you - I opened this thread because I thought it was cool to see someone new from MN here. Some of the things you've said stand out as being a bit sketchy to me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.