Status
Not open for further replies.

LORRIE

Jan 6, 2004
HOLLYWOOD,FLA
flowersforyouhollywood
State / Prov
florida
I just had a good customer come in and ask for a casket saddle for her Dads funeral in live plants. I said OK but am not really sure how to do this . Has anyone ever done this ? Any tips? It is for tomorrow night, so I need to buy the stuff today! any help is appreciated.

I have never made one of these but I would love to see a picture of the finished product

i THINK WE WILL HAVE TO USE 4 INCH AROuND THE EDGE AND 6 IN THE MIDDLE OR MAYBE JUST TAKE EVERYTHING OUT OF THE POTS COMPLETELY-AND WIRE THEM DOWN. THE VIEWING AND FUNERAL ARE ALL IN ONE EVENING SO IT WILL BE DISASSEMBLED QUICKLY. I can make whaever I want so I was thinking of using bromiliads and orchids for color and fern to fill- if I can get them when I go to buy the plants this afternoon- very open to any suggestions

Try a long wicker basket and attach it to the spray frame, you can always add some fresh greens to hide the base. I HAVE NOT made one, it's just a suggestion, it sounds like you will have to play around with it to find out what works, please let us know!

Not sure why, but I'm thinking Chicken Wire ... ???

I would for-go the saddle, and use 4" thick styro, cut to about 20-24" in length. Hollow out the underside to form to the lid, and line with fabric.

Shave the top edges for roundness, then plan out where you want the plants. Next start in the center, working outward, and cut shallow, "saucers" for the pots to drop into. Add hyacinth stakes for those that have to lean and then a few spots of hot-glue (pot to styro).

Continue working out and around and finish with moss, or a few small oasis chuncks, that you can add greens into. Might be a good candidate to assemble on-site.

HTH

I am thinking you should do your set up as usual... triple saddle... hope and pray that your ivys are long and trailing...wire the pots by threading 18" wire through the pot's bottom water holes.... pull the wires together and twist tightly...then roll the wire up on a hyacinth stake or somekind of wood pick... and place...anchoring with additional stakes as needed... you may want to do the base greens as you usually do.... then unwind a honeysuckle or grapevine wreath...putting it loosely over the whole setup... anchor it... this will give you a mechanism to support the orchid spikes....then place the potted plants, moss the heck out of the whole thing, and send it on it's merry way.... Loved your idea with the orchids and bromeliads...

I would love to see a picture when you get this done!

Everyone's ideas are great. Wish I had one to do!!

Still thinking about this- it's for a closed casket $125.00. I'm thinking about unpoting the small plants to wrap them in plastic so I can make them closer together-they will be taken home by the grandchildren. I really appreciate all the ideas you all have given me-I'll check the posts again in the morning incase anyone else has a brilliant flash! Will try to take a decent picture to post if it is interesting when done.

Couple of options here, but I would use a saddle to make sure it sits properly on the casket without scratching it or any danger of it sliding off during the service.

J.H. tripple saddle.... cut out the top and you can plant right in the water resivoir (should hold 4" plants without loosing to much soil and you could put 1 or 2 6" plants in the center / back left right in the pots and covered with moss) use ivies and pothos etc. around the outside as well as some spanish moss to hide the black plastic. You could also glue a few salal leaves to the outside before you drape the moss over the sides to make sure your mechanics are hidden. If that's not big enough wire 2 saddles together side by side.

Double or single saddle....find a nice basket and cut the top of the saddle so the basket will sit as low as possible in the saddle, punch a couple of holes in the saddle so the basket can be wired to it. You could also use another type of tray (wooden grape crate - old fish flat ***not one that smells*** or any other low tray that can be attached to the saddle and will give the desired effect)

daflowerdude said:
I am thinking you should do your set up as usual... triple saddle... hope and pray that your ivys are long and trailing...wire the pots by threading 18" wire through the pot's bottom water holes.... pull the wires together and twist tightly...then roll the wire up on a hyacinth stake or somekind of wood pick... and place...anchoring with additional stakes as needed... you may want to do the base greens as you usually do.... then unwind a honeysuckle or grapevine wreath...putting it loosely over the whole setup... anchor it... this will give you a mechanism to support the orchid spikes....then place the potted plants, moss the heck out of the whole thing, and send it on it's merry way.... Loved your idea with the orchids and bromeliads...

In Texas it's popular to use hog nose rounds to clap these plants in place.

I have even seen them clap three 4" plants together with hog nose rounds then drop that in the center of the casket spray and clap it to the casket saddle...

I have also seen the plants anchored with the white plastic electrical ties...

Hope this helps...

Mary Lou Nix
ilocalflorist.com
([email protected])

PS: please sign the Allied Florists of Houston "IN LIEU OF FLOWERS"
PETITION
http://alliedfloristsofhouston.org/ILOFPetition.htm

I posted this on the other board, but in case you missed it, here's what we did recently. We started with a triple wet foam saddle. We used 4" pots for all of the plants, in our case, African violets. We inserted a wooden pick (6 or 7" Cowee) into the hole at the bottom of the pot. Then we put a wire across the top of the pot, hidden by the leaves, and down the sides of the pot, wrapping it around the stick. If any of the pots were where we thought they might fall out, we wired the pot & stick to the plastic pieces holding the wet foam into place. We filled in around everything with assorted greenery. The family was very pleased with it, and we received several favorable comments from others who saw it. Wish we had photographed it.......

thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!

I made the plant casket saddle today- it took a long time but came out very well. I used ideas from just about everyone who posted , a little of this a little of that, you will never believe how much I appreciate all of your input. Took pictures which I will post when I get my son to help with the computer part.

Status
Not open for further replies.