Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD

Dec 27, 2003
Beaufort
carolinafloraldesign.com
State / Prov
SC
I have been providing flowers to a 4 star B&B every week for a year now. NEVER had a complaint. New management comes in, wants everything changed. He calls and says "we have a flower problem". So I meet with him this morning. He's fixing everything. Wants us to provide flowers that will "strike a pose", make people say WOW. He's willing to pay more (if the price is right). Anyway, we've been doing "garden style" daisys, tulips, alstro etc. - mostly because they last the full 7 days. I need suggestions from anyone out there that has any coments. This is my biggest account - I get LOTS of wedding work from them so I don't want to loose them. We do 22 dining tables, a foyer and hallway peice. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks - Sylvia

I almost have

to know the budget to be of any assistance. PM me if you wish.

One other thing. I do our Country Club weekly. I explained to them in the contract that flowers used in their conditions could not be expected to be presentable for either them, nor us regarding advertising after 5 days. Yes sometimes you may get the full seven.

We delivery fresh Tuesday, and it is like new through out the weekend, but usually done in MY opinion by Sunday closing time.

If they have one day that is the slowest, that is the day before you should deliver a fresh load.

Cfd, would dendrobium orchids be suitable. We use them when we need something to last for a week or more. I have a good source for you to contact that will ship a box of 60 stems or more and the colors offered are enought to not have to repeat more than maybe every 8 weeks. Call me on mon and I will give you the name. They also offer a great selection of tropical bouquets in a variety of stem counts. Sher 800-725-9714.

Boss - I have to set a new budget

I don't want to them to spend too much because I want the wedding work. What do you use at the Country club? So far I know hydrangea works well. Also dendrobiums (Thanks Sher for the info - I will call you Monday for the number). What about anthiriums and some other tropicals. -- Also, I have never had a written contract. Can you send me a copy of yours or any suggestions. All your input is helpful. Thanks. Sylvia

Youl find, that flowers in water (no oasis) last longer, although this often does not allow for stylized design...

I use alot of Alstromeria, as ours does last 2 weeks (Made in Canada) Hydrangia, Orchids of various varieties, and lots of fancy greenery...we also use roses quite often... the RIO's were getting have a very good lasting time, and are percieved as a higher value, even tho they do not cost more than other stems

Good suggestion from Sher, Dendros do last long. Also, look into protea. They come in some interesting colors and forms and last well. Many of the tropicals are long lasting as they prefer warmer temps, don't need refrigeration like most soft spring flowers.

For the "wow" factor, try some different treatments. I saw recently at a Teleflora design workshop the technique of using long leaves, like aspidestra, placed on the inside of a square glass vase then anchored simply by wedging oasis inside. It looked really different and fresh, and was easy to accomplish. You can dress up an ordinary vase (since flowers do last longer directly in water) by lining bamboo stakes or other nice straight stems around the vase,then securing them with jewelry wire, twine or raffia. Also, use your ordinary long lasting flowers in unusual styles, such as vegetative, pave, terracing or beidermeyer. Just be sure to charge more for labor as these designs take longer to build.

Just a few ideas.
:spintongu

Your hydrangea lasts 7 days?! I'm assuming it's SA...In a vase, not foam.... I can't get hydrangea to last more than 2-3 in foam...Even after the super duper hydration... SA is better than HO, tho.

Dana

oh, yeah...I always give em a drastically slant cut. In a vase I get SA to last 7+. Dutch only about 5 days. Most of the arrangements we do for lobbies are in foam due to the size...that's why I was shocked to see your hydrangea lasting that long...thought they were in oasis.

Dana

New management called today. They don't want to go with my new bid (not enough in the budget) but they do want us to "continue what we've been doing". hmmmm...... I think the new guy just wanted to russle some feathers... So I still have the account. Hoooray! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!!

Just as a twist, do one week or two of the "new" bid and tantalize them. We just got back one of our Country clubs by doing that.........once they see what you can do differently, then when the opportunity for a special buffet or holiday etc comes around you have the chance to pick up more business. Our buffets with our clubs average 900-1400 on the major holidays but they do need constant stroking and you have to watch your back from being undercut. We lost one of ours for 6 months and then the new guy failed to show up for mother's day.no call no show, no more work there. They called today and booked Fathers Day for 800........nice huh since that holiday stinks across the board.
Good luck! Sher

Oh I don;t know

Sher said:
nice huh since that holiday stinks across the board.
Good luck! Sher
Personally, I like Fathers Day...

But alas, it is a tool holiday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.