Off Topic Hob nob milk glass style bud vases

Bloom

Dec 29, 2011
East Stroudsburg
State / Prov
PA
Does anyone know if the Hob Knob white glass bud vases that were from the Brody company in the 80's are still available? I found a version in Accent Decor, but they are pricey. Thses were an inexpensive staple at the time. Thank for any input.

Some times you can find old milk glass on line at Esty or Craigs list if it doesn't all have to match. I had an all milk glass wedding reception and that's how we got most of the retro stuff.

I've received quite a few in our vase recycle program. Trouble is our neck of the woods wouldn't see this as a new trendy style.. yet. We're a little behind.

Reactions: secretgarden
You can also purchase it on Amazon. I don't think there is anybody making it anymore.

Hobnail milk glass seems to have gained a lot of popularity with brides especially, I'm very surprised none of the glass manufacturers have picked up on this. I wonder how hard it is, the companies who used to manufacture it are long gone.

I have both Fenton and FireKing glass of my own although I'm embarrassed to say that every piece of hobnail milk glass budvase I have ever had dropped off to me has gone directly into the dumpster! Coulda made a fortune but like Jenifer, I can't seem to like it. I think it's because, like the green glassware we used to use "back in the day" as utility glass is like baby's breath. It gets so common that you get sick of it and want nothing to do with it anymore.

Reactions: KABERS
We just saw a design show on this and they said to drag it back out :) We have some but I think I will hit the salvation army and the thrift stores to get a bit more. It will take a while for it to come back here too, once the magazines start featuring it more we will get hit for sure. Afraid if I start using it to soon they will think we are way behind the times instead of ahead of the curve!

Reactions: sandytf and KABERS
found this from Paula Deem:

Milk glass–an opaque glass aptly named for its milky-white color–dates back as early as the 1500s, but American manufacturers caught on to the trend in the 1900s by producing glass tableware as a less-expensive substitute for porcelain. The Depression Era “look for less” quickly gained popularity and spread to more affluent homes. By the time the Gilded Age rolled around, glass manufactures started creating more intricate pieces and patterns retailing for higher prices.

Today, the once affordable knock offs can fetch upwards of $200 per item, and an extremely rare piece can go for several thousand dollars.

But beware newbie collectors. Remember those tacky white vases with raised bumps from the local florist? While technically considered milk glass, these commonplace vases will earn you about 50-cents at a garage sale.

I think producing white milk glass used Arsenic - or some other hazardous chemicals, hence why it's no longer produced

Thanks for all your input. i checked my local Salvation Army with no luck. I've will have to explore Etsy, Amazon, e-bay further. I was hoping there was a magic fix out there somewhere. Oh well. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your input. i checked my local Salvation Army with no luck. I've will have to explore Etsy, Amazon, e-bay further. I was hoping there was a magic fix out there somewhere. Oh well. Thanks again.

You're in East Stroudsburg! I just realized this... My brother/sister in law live in your town. She works at the GAP (as in Delaware water..., not the store haha)

If I knew we were going out to visit I would gather up some from around here and bring it over.

FYI. It is closer for us to visit the fam in PA than it is to visit the Nephew in Houghton Michigan... :)

Reactions: Bloom
"You're in East Stroudsburg! I just realized this... My brother/sister in law live in your town. She works at the GAP (as in Delaware water..., not the store haha)"

Small world- You'll have to tell them to stop by and visit sometime.

Accent Decor has a new line of milk glass and clear glass on what you are looking for very inexpensive. You might check them out.

Thanks. Yes, that is what w are going to do. My bride will be able to select exactly what she likes that way also. And you are right, they aren't too expensive. I just hope shipping doesn't kill me.

Thanks. Yes, that is what w are going to do. My bride will be able to select exactly what she likes that way also. And you are right, they aren't too expensive. I just hope shipping doesn't kill me.

Don't give the bride a price until you see what the shipping comes to and then charge her enough to cover that , too.

Reactions: anytimeflowers