How Do you Deal with Brides???

Apr 2, 2011
Waynesboro
State / Prov
PA
How do you deal with brides who complain after the wedding?

We had a wedding on Saturday May 25. My bride was satisfied (my employee also saw her at the local park getting pictures, commented on her wedding bouquet and the bride said "yes, it's absolutely beautiful, isn't it?"). This bride has been a pain since the very first consult last October. She "forgot" to pay me until I told her I wouldn't do her wedding, has 100s of questions, etc.

Now, 3 days later (we were closed for Memorial Day), her and her husband call to complain! They said the flowers were only 1/2 the quality of what they paid for, guests said they looked like funeral flowers, my "fuschia" color scheme was really red and purple instead of her "pink" fuschia. I used hot pink ranunculus, wax, alstro, heather, etc. They had the nerve to tell me they know what it's like to pick-out flowers. What the h**l?

I am getting tired of dealing with people. Our society is so greedy and feels they can do the job better than you can. She should have had a DIY wedding!

I actually would ignore her!!, if she was desperately unhappy with the flowers you definitely would have heard about it on the day!. I had a bride once who burst into tears because the centre of her white roses wasn't the right colour!! haha.. she still uses me as her florist today.. tell your "bride" to bugger off

Reactions: kt4ye
Sounds like buyers remorse. The big day is over and now they regret the money they spent. I had a groom come in 3 weeks after a wedding complaining that the hydrangea bouquets died. They put them in a fridge after I told them not to. They froze, however they never contacted me the day of the wedding. I was only 45 minutes from them and could have replaced them but they never called. Wanted their money back for the entire wedding, of which I said no to.

This is an interesting post. I remember YEARS ago, a wedding was picked up at my shop, and I told them to take them home and keep them cool. Their idea of cool was the deep freeze. I experienced a similar situation as this poster but much sooner than 3 weeks. It was the next day. Which is more realistic in most situations, especially when the emotions are running as high as they do during a wedding. I asked them to bring them back in, and I could easily see they were frozen and then thawed out. Stupid? Of course they were. But how many weddings had they been involved with? I think just this one. When I pointed out the fact that they looked frozen, they told me that I told them to keep them cool. Now how stupid am I? Perhaps I should have said, keep them cool, but don't put them in the freezer which is exactly what my attorney advised me I should have disclosed to them upon pick up. We can't help it that they don't know flowers and freezers don't keep good company. They expected a full refund on the wedding. Since they paid cash, I didn't have a credit card issue to worry with, but I did have their big mouths to silence. How can you win? People hear a teary eyes bride sobbing that the flowers she bought from ABC Florist DIED and RUINED her wedding!!!! Try to buy enough advertising to stomp that into the ground. So you ask, what did I do? I told them I was so sorry the flowers had been frozen, and it was probably not the best idea to freeze them, but I gave them an "adjustment" on the bouquet and that seemed to work. I mean, the corsages, boutonnieres and table arrangements were just fine, I was not going to refund the "whole" wedding. If your folks don't go for the adjustment, you just might have to eat this one if you expect to do more weddings in your town. My studio depends on weddings, because that is what I specialize in, and I don't like to upset any brides...which I have not. I depend on my clients to post positive Yelps! and WeddingWire reviews about my studio and that always helps me keep my focus that we are only as good as our last gig. Apologize to them, give them a fair adjustment and move one. Really, how much did you actually loose?

This won't necessarily help you with this situation, but might help in the future... I always take a photo of the flowers when I deliver them (or just before they are picked up). This way you have proof that the flowers looked good on delivery, and you also have proof of colors, style, etc. In this situation, you could send them the photo of the bouquet and ask them to point out exactly what colors they were unhappy with. If they are fishing for a refund because they're broke, they will shut up really fast when they see you have proof against their claim.

Reactions: Emily Reynolds