How Long Can We Hold On

matthew

Apr 21, 2003
Wantagh
www.flowersbymatthew.com
State / Prov
NY
Is it possible to get any slower? I see a glut of our goods Christmas wreaths, decorations, plants flowers
and speaking to those cheap outlet vendors there not moving the either. Florist always gave away our services (same day delivery, arranging etc ) and I am working on slimmer margins. Now the consumer is tight for a buck and want product for less... I never put my eggs into holiday business but the phone doesn't ring, the funeral homes are now florists, I am as lean on help as possible..

I am probably not the best person to reply since I haven't even opened my own shop yet, but coming from 22+ years of family business (florist what else) I learned few things: We have to adjust to the market and its needs - market will not adjust to us; we have to provide superb customer service; and we have to offer "more value" for their money. I am too well aware how most of us are spread too thin, but if the phone is not ringing... take some time away to call your old customers. Sometimes we just need to remind people that they have a need ;)
Milkman of old days might be gone, but new milk people are making a comeback. It's only that these days they are no longer charging 50c http://www.houstonfarmtohome.com/place-your-order.html

There's one thing I know. Places like Costco, Wal-mart, ProFlowers, funeral homes, and supermarkets aren't going to stop selling cut flowers anytime soon. It's sad to see the drastic shift away from flower shops, I would have thought it would slow down a lot after the recession.

I wasn't able to edit my last post. What I meant to say was that I was expecting that the rate of slowing down would dramatically decrease or at least a reversal in the decline of flower shops would happen after the recession.

Reactions: beback
Matthew, hang on. It's tough and the low end market is flooded with alot of what we used to do. Keep marketing and better times are ahead. We are poised as retail florist to make the most money we've ever made over the next few years. Yes, amyf is right, the big box are not going to stop selling flowers, so all we can do is "strut" what we do. We are a full service industry that can, acquire, produce, sell and deliver (for a fee). They have non of that and can only offer cheap flowers. Here's a stat for you, only 13% of american buyers shop by price because of need or choice. That means we have a shot at the other 87%. Much bigger part of the pie for us. Moving forward we have to make a few minor changes. Either cut out of bring the discounted work we do to under 15%, then focus on the 12 events a year that where we can shine. This economy that we are in is the "new" and emerging place for business. Lean, mean fighting machines is what we have to come. Slevi is also right, the old will re-invent. At VD last year, we pulled 3 - 5% away from the big guys "yeah for us".....and I think that trend will continue. Heavy presence on all SM is a must, we will come out of this stronger. I promise.......

We had a pretty bad november but so far good numbers for December. I'm shocked at the number of poinsettias we've sold this year. I don't think we sold a dozen besides the church orders last year. We can't seem to get ahead of the cemetery stuff. I'm having trouble figuring out who my customer is anymore. We are pretty dependent on funeral work and we do it damn well but everyone is seeing a decrease in that.....worry, worry.
I hope you can hang in there Matthew.