Not open for further replies.

BBJ (Big Bad John)

Flower Dude
Oct 31, 2002
Chesterville
State / Prov
ON
they go?????????????

Just got my FTD statement with FTD newsletter stating that they will be advertising the FTD #1 Valentines vase with 12 medium stem red roses for $44.99 U.S. or with the $ exchange FTD is paying I'll get $49.13 cdn. after the G.S.T. which will net me $37.11 after wire service fees including FTO.........FTD fresh flowers is going to be offering special pricing on roses for this (so they claim) ***I think they should have included them in the price of the vase***

The vase would cost me $10.78 including freight, and 12 red 40cm roses will cost me 12 x $1.05 = $12.60, babies breath and greens will cost another $3.00 +- for a total cost of $26.38 leaving me $10.73 for overhead and labour....not to mention that they will likely only add $5.00 U.S. delivery or a net of $3.99 cdn. and my real delivery is $7.50 so now I'm down to $7.22 for labour and overhead...not to mention that I'd like to get paid a few cents for my investment!!!!!!

Guess I'll ask my staff if they will work for nothing this Valentine's week............nah, think I'll just tell FTD what they can do with these orders and since I didn't order the V1 container anyways I've got more than one excuse......my staff deserve better than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBJ (Big Bad John) said:
Guess I'll ask my staff if they will work for nothing this Valentine's week............nah, think I'll just tell FTD what they can do with these orders and since I didn't order the V1 container anyways I've got more than one excuse......my staff deserve better than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think ALOT of florists will be doing the same, those that have a clue anyways....

I waited until the codification deadline passed to order the V-1 and V-2, and then they threw in a FREE case of the V-3... go figure...

Won;t be codified but oh well...VD is not a big wire holiday, but it will be for the dot.CONs...(sorry I missed the deadline....NOT)

bernie said:
Just Reject Them..... Why Do Anything Wth No Profit...

I wanted the containers...just not the codification or orders :)

If Its Not A Big Wire Service Holiday, Why Did You Want The Containors???
Less Expensive Ones Can Be Had And You Can Fill Them With What Your Customer Wants On Valentine's.....flowers....
You Know Menon Valentine's.... Get Lucky, Take Home Flowers....

In Love with Red Roses?

From the FTD site:
Our exclusive red rose bouquet is sure to impress. One dozen red roses arrive with a romantic pink glass vase accented with vibrant beading. The freshly cut red medium stem roses arrive wrapped with greens and ready for the recipient to arrange in their own special way.
?????

Does anybody besides me think that showing this picture will lead most consumers to think the flowers arrive looking that way?

How many will expect an arrangement instead of a 'fresh from the grocers' look?

On the bright side:
The florist or FedEx® or UPS® will leave the package if no one is home and a signature is not required.
At least it appears florists are no longer held to a higher standard that FedEx & UPS, which has seemed only fair all along.

Tis very simple...you do not agree to their pricing (your membership rules allow your own pricing within reason) so you send for a price change.
Just as any holiday, how many shops can fill for their "SRP", quite a few just adjust the flowers by number. Now that's hard to do with dozen roses, so they have forced the hand that serves them. I know darned few shops with a $44/doz wrapped minimum and then include a costly vase? nope. They can't have that many shops buying their prepacks, do they?

bernie said:
Why Did You Want The Containors???

Because there Kewl... Love the striped bud vase...and they are something to add to the 120 cases of other vases we bought in for February...that were not available from our other suppliers....

We use mostly Syndicate and Brody, got many cases of solid Red vases this year...but we wanted just a little more variety...

Rosiescenario said:
From the FTD site: ?????

Does anybody besides me think that showing this picture will lead most consumers to think the flowers arrive looking that way?

How many will expect an arrangement instead of a 'fresh from the grocers' look?

On the bright side: At least it appears florists are no longer held to a higher standard that FedEx & UPS, which has seemed only fair all along.

Yes, I think it's a "bit deceptive" and I too wonder how many will think it comes all done....

I did notice on the dot.coN site that there is NO FED/EX delivery for Valentines Sunday and Monday, so I would anticipate many of these orders will be sent out to shops, even the ones that ARE NOT codified for them as the company will have little choice because they will not turn down an order.

I know they won;t get filled in my shop, but that does not mean they won;t find some fool that will take them...

Should prove to be an interesting excercise in diligence with regard to the Merc Printer....mine has already told me it feels sick, and may need a couple days off down the road...

Here's a "trick"....

I'd like to see everyone in "the know" to use.....
RAISE YOUR MINIMUM ORDER rates to $75.00 on your codifications for the items that OG's generally like to send, and make notes that you offer special F2F rates for REAL FLORIST shops!!
Now, I KNOW what you are thinking........(my technology might "bark" at me) however, with Merc Direct, IF the fill florist has a minimum order ABOVE what you are sending them, it "flags" the order, and asks you IF you STILL want to send the order...I'm pretty sure that Advantage, and Mas offers the same "flag" option!!
When the receiving florist gets the order, you have a "legitimate" reason to NOT fill ANY orders below your codified minimums, unless it's either from a REAL FLORIST, or the OG has PLAINLY sent you enough money to fill the order, while grinding your teeth.
IF we MUST co-exist with these greedy WS machines, make them pay going rates...no more "subsidizing" the order thieves..
A SIDE NOTE...do NOT take your frustrations out on Domestic Retrans operators, whether full or part time, or just "holiday fillins"...they do a pretty amazing job, and do NOT deserve to be belittled...they have no choice, but to "try" to get the orders filled!!
JUST RAISE YOUR MINIMUMS!! do it NOW!!

Mikey the Flower Guy said:
I'm pretty sure that Advantage, and Mas offers the same "flag" option!!

Yup...and you can even send it out below codified minimums...no barking at all...

Just fine now Mikey, got a clean bill of health, after they tested everything, even my brain....
(They do that to all Florists, to see what is actrually inside their heads)

Status
Not open for further replies.