Mikey the Flower Guy

It's a GREAT DAY to live, and love!
Nov 10, 2002
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
www.hamiltonflorists.com
State / Prov
Ontario
for silks in your shop??
We got out several years ago, and lately, have been getting many requests for custom silks to be made up!!
Mike:confused:

Yes. I don't like it, but there is a growing market.

We had a complaint the other day that a red and wht artificial wreath had too dark a red in it.

"I had no idea that colour even existed!"

It was red. Pure and simple, red.

Old people + silk flower = headache

"Permanent" arrangements

We've noticed a big resurgence in artificial pieces here in the last two years. We do carry a good range of artificial and we've gained a lot of decor based clients because of it.

This new 'permanent' crowd seems to be more the HGTV type crowd then the granny based variety. With an average artificial over $100, it can be quite profitable. We've got a few of our customers that hire us to take the silks we've done and 'fluff' them up or repair/redo the disasters other people have done. And Christmas so far has seen a good amount of artificial go out the door.

We sell tons of it....

We have kind of a niche thing going though. When we movied into our current location the florist that was there before sold alot of silk funeral work. We had sold some but never that much.

Well now that we have moved we sell tons of it. We get about 50% of it made for us. And believe me this guy makes stuff that looks better than most florists makes. I will see if I can get some pictures of it.

We had a florist from Mich. come in our shop and go nuts over it. They wanted to get some shipped so they could sell it in their shop.

Go figure.

GFLORAL

Artificial Funeral

Those are really attractive and something that our customers are interested in. Who's your supplier for that sort of piece, we'd be interested in contacting them.

Audra

Nice. Are they pre-made or do you make in-house. We've had a few calls for silks for funerals. We have some stone and wood look crosses and hearts we have done. Real pricey but have rented the base (funeral director makes sure it stays at f.h.)
If made in-house, what types of "silks" are they?

We do some in house but those I showed are made up for us and have a very good price margin on them (we make more money on those than the ones we make ourselves just because of the labor factor)

Most are made out of your cheaper variety of silks, not your $2 a stem ones. This is because most around here are used to those and do not want to pay over $100 for one piece (but they will buy three $55 pieces).

Status
Not open for further replies.