Status
Not open for further replies.

Audra

Nov 6, 2002
Sault Ste. Marie
www.mannflorist.com
State / Prov
Ontario
Does anyone know of a company that will ship hawaiian leis to Canada?

I priced them through FTD Fresh flowers but I'd be looking at three day delivery and I'd get to pay $50 for the privilege. I remember someone mentioning realistic prices and shipping and would be grateful if I could get that information.

Audra

Half the "contents" of a "lei"from Hawaii

wouldn't survive the trip. Just had a customer asking about one of the "traditional" componenets of an authentic "lei" and it ONLY lasts ONE DAY!!
Mike

Audra, try this site:
www.hawaiian-tropical-flowers.com

I believe they sell retail, but their prices were not too bad, although I don't know what it would cost to ship to Canada. It might be a good place to start to get info though. I'm with Peter; I can't imagine they are too hard to make. Just buy some dendros and string em together with fishing line or dental floss type string, and a large needle.

Originally posted by Peter1
If you got some time Audra, they aren't too hard to make.

It's one of those complicated wedding things and I'm not asking for myself. The florists in the Sault tend to be pretty friendly towards each other and a good friend of ours was asking. I figured that it never hurt to have the info in case we need it too.

audra

Problem being...

that a "true" lei is laced with plumeria,and hibiscus, with a total life span of ONE DAY!!
Mike

Originally posted by Audra
It's one of those complicated wedding things and I'm not asking for myself. The florists in the Sault tend to be pretty friendly towards each other and a good friend of ours was asking. I figured that it never hurt to have the info in case we need it too.

audra

Aww ok. :) Never hurts to have the info, you're right Audra. :) I've did a few of them before, not something I'd want to do daily thou. . Similar process as to stringing popcorn for your Christmas tree, not as easy thou.

My mom won't do them - we did an east indian wedding and it was nothing but grief and they don't last worth beans.

Audra

Nope they don't last too long. If I remember correctly you have to bag them up, and keep in the cooler, and the next day they won't look too bad, but by day 3 its' game over. About as much shelf life as a gardenia in my opinion.

Here's from that website Christine mentioned.

LEI CARE

After receiving your leis, spray lightly with water as needed to moisten them. Do not over mist them so that they are dripping wet. Put them into an airated plastic bag and place them in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator if not too cold, or in a cool but not cold location. The best temperature to store them is around 55 - 60 degrees F. Some vegetable bins are colder than the recommended temperature. Leis should last for 3-5 days from the date we ship them. Remember, leis will brown and be unusable if placed in too cold or breezy a location -- please check your storage area for the proper conditions before placing them into storage.

It basically agrees with what I said above. **** I'm smart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.