Article Local Algorithm within General Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woot! Yep, I see it. :) I changed the location using both cities and zip codes the the Ten Pack results changed every time.

We got bumped up above TF, but still show behind PF..... Oh, well. Better than being lost deep in the SERPs for one word terms.

Now, more than ever, florists need to report Map Spam since the Ten Pack real estate will be more valuable than ever.

While the "change location" feature replicates the usual local algorithm for a particular area, I'm not sure as of yet what drives it before the change. I do know that hosting location seems not to be a factor in the queries I've run.

This is really good news all the way around for the local florist. On slow days, over 50,000 searches are conducted on "flowers" alone. We've all got an equal chance now.

It is going to impact the big 4 in a negative way.

Good catch Mac, this is great news!

Has anyone else noticed that the natural/organic results for the keyword "florist" varies depending which region you are searching from?

For instance, after clearing cookies, cache, etc..., logging out of all google accounts and using a non-google toolbar browser, my shop still ranks #7 for keyword "florist" for searches coming from different ip's in my region, but it's not even a blip on the radar if searched from a different region.

Cathy's site was showing up on the first page for "florist" a month ago in my region, but is no longer showing.

It seems that google is somehow able cache behavior patterns from an ip and apply them to search results.

If Google is using IP sniffing to localize the search, most of the local people around here would probably end up looking at NYC results. My IP right now, for example, says it's somewhere in Queens, NYC.

Actually this is the problem I noticed when I was playing with geotargeting in AdWords. Physical locations of computers and IP locations don't match.

Reactions: LJVF
If behaviour is controlled by your location - I wonder what happens say if I am a consumer here wishing to find a florist across the country?

It would seem to me most local flower buyers, at least in smaller towns already know their florists...so if they are looking to find one in another city, will they instead be driven to the big boys?

If this is the case - it will seemingly only help local searches for local businesses, and we all know Mother's Day is a large wire holiday.

Just thinking out loud...

Google has been geofiltering results for a couple of years. The results are influenced by your location (Country, States & City) and the engine you search on.

Ex:
A person in the UK will see different results if they search the same generic term on:
Google.com
Google.co.uk
Google.ca

However, if someone from the USA does the same search on the same three engines, they will get different results than the UK person.

Beyond that, you have to factor in personal search and click history and your browsing history.

Ryan

Ryan,
When I did a search "florist Toronto, ON" Tidy's turned up first in the local business and natural results; Martin's were 2nd in the natural results and not in the first 10 local business results. Why ?
Thanks
H

Local Search Took a Quantum Leap

Heh. I blogged about the one word searches and emailed Blumenthal to ask if he knew anything about them - since Mac was the only blogger out there I'd spotted who was actually talking about this.

He just posted and cited both Mac's article and the one form the Real Florists blog. :)

Here's the important part - and why we all really need to fight for local positioning:
This higher visibility is very positive and validates Greg Sterling’s view that research undercounts local searches and searches with local intent. One presumes that Google has tested this broadly and feels that the Unversal Local results provides increased relevance to these broad searches. Steve Espinosa in a prescient Local Search News article from February titled, The Downfall of Geo Modifiers, he noted a nearly 700% rise in referrals when the geo modifier was not required.

Given the jump in visibility that Google has just offered up to local results, we hope that the steps Joel speaks of are large steps. Regardless, Local visibility has just taken a quantum leap and the flood gates are open!
Simple steps to help improve your position in local search:

- Have correct listings in and links from trusted sources like:

• IYPs
  • Yahoo Local
  • CitySearch
  • Yelp
  • BOTW Local
  • Your local BBB
  • Your Chamber of Commerce
  • The FlowerChat Directory (and I am seeing it in Local citations!!!!)
  • Other legit florist directories
- Solicit User Reviews and request they be placed on trusted sites like

• CitySearch
  • Yahoo Local
  • InsiderPages
  • Kudzu
  • Yelp
  • IYPs
(I would not request users place reviews on Google ATM since they do not seem to have a system to monitor abuse and do not appear willing to help business owners deal with spam reviews.)

Do your level best to rank well for your keywords - especially now in Google Local/Maps.

When I put in florist I get San Jose, CA florists. Anything I can do to get the ones in Santa Cruz.

got it - thanks

Google is now showing the top 3 ranking brands (for "flowers") with "sitelinks" in the same search result.

Usually sitelinks are reserved for the top ranking website only (and not all websites can generate them).

Status
Not open for further replies.